Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:06 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It's not relevant to the law? How so?
Because the law is not based on religion. The law is the law, and religion is religion. Stop me if I'm going too fast for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 11:06 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Didn't we just go through this with the gay marriage debate? The definition of marriage has changed repeatedly. It used to have be people of the same race. It used to have to be people of different genders. So why is it hard to believe that it couldn't go to more than two people?

The law for marriage should only go so far as consent. Children cannot be married and you can't marry animals or inanimate objects. But if three adults by their own volition chose to marry one another, why should it be denied?
In my opinion, it should be denied because many special rights and privileges will have to be eliminated. I do not want to see that happen.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
This just shows that the government shouldn't have anything to do with marriage in the first place. Separation of religion and state.
Marriage is a legal institution.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:11 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Now that the gay marriage is the law of the land, can anyone truly deny the right for 2 girls to marry the same guy?

I think it's just a question of time before we see a lawsuit from a muslim, and a mormon and all their wives and some lesbian couple to challenge the status-quo. And if they do, I cannot see how the Supreme Court can deny them their right in light of last decision on gay marriage.

You can marry more than 1 woman already if you really want to. Some isolated burgs in S Utah have plenty of that.

Or, you could move to Iran, Egypt, Libya, Pakistan or Saudi Arabia if it's that big an issue for you.

Dive in!

Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You can marry more than 1 woman already if you really want to. Some isolated burgs in S Utah have plenty of that.

Or, you could move to Iran, Egypt, Libya, Pakistan or Saudi Arabia if it's that big an issue for you.

Dive in!

Those aren't legal marriages. If people want to have a "marriage" recognized by their religion and community, I don't see a problem with that. So long as all of the marriage partners are consenting adults.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:21 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Because the law is not based on religion. The law is the law, and religion is religion. Stop me if I'm going too fast for you.
I never said it was based on religion.

Perhaps you should go back and reread the conversation. I stated that the US has a basis in Christianity, and you said it does not. I provided examples for why it is. I was merely using religion and gay marriage as an example, anyway. It is not a part of my argument. My argument is that if we can change the definition of marriage from man and woman only to allow for same sex marriages, we can also reconsider the lasting value we have had that marriage is only between two people.

This is way off topic thanks to you. I have made my point already and I'm not going to continue to discuss this aspect.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:33 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Since NOBODY is allowed to have more than one spouse, this proposition of polygamous marriage is entirely separate from the issue of same-sex marriage. There is no equal protection issue at play. I think the OP is just another slippery slope type question.

If polygamy becomes accepted, it won't be because gays were allowed to marry.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:34 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Now that the gay marriage is the law of the land, can anyone truly deny the right for 2 girls to marry the same guy?
It's always been my contention that consenting adults can marry whomever and as many people as they choose and that government should have no business at all in marriage.

If we allow government to declare who is and isn't married, it allows them to discriminate as they choose.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:55 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
I never said it was based on religion.
Then why bring religion into it at all? The thread is about "the law of the land".

Quote:
Perhaps you should go back and reread the conversation.
Thanks, but I have some important paint that I need to watch dry.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:07 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
I had a political science professor (brilliant guy!) propose this question. It was an interesting discussion in my civil liberties class.

FWIW, his argument was that it is a perfectly valid argument to make. Once you open the door on different marriages than the traditional, it's likely that other types of non traditional marriages will come into question and maybe law.
A Marriage was always a contract between TWO PEOPLE.

"Traditional marriage" was always between TWO PEOPLE..who happened, for most part of history, to be of opposite sex...still only TWO people.

The contract of marriage between TWO PEOPLE has not changed with the advent that those TWO PEOPLE may now be of the same sex...STILL only TWO PEOPLE.

SO, the definition of "marriage", that of a contract between TWO PEOPLE, has not changed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events