Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:09 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Now that the gay marriage is the law of the land, can anyone truly deny the right for 2 girls to marry the same guy?

I think it's just a question of time before we see a lawsuit from a muslim, and a mormon and all their wives and some lesbian couple to challenge the status-quo. And if they do, I cannot see how the Supreme Court can deny them their right in light of last decision on gay marriage.
You obviously have not read, nor understand the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 10:09 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
Quote:
Now that the gay marriage is the law of the land, can anyone truly deny the right for 2 girls to marry the same guy?
Oh, my goodness! What a difficult question! Let me think...

Hmm... is "2" a different number than "3"?

That's a tough one...

I'm going to have to get back to you on this vitally important question.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:11 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Why only 1? 2 is 1 and 1 is gone How about Freedom of religion and 1st amendmend? Our current laws deny that to Muslims.

I think it would be a lovely debate!
Yes, that would be interesting, wouldn't it. People who say they believe in freedom of religion arguing against freedom of religion.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:14 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
No, it's a silly debate. And you are just trolling and baiting. Gays only wanted what others have. To argue that their rights somehow open the door to silly and weird combinations is a hollow argument. In Massachusetts, gays have been marrying for 10 or so years, and I have not heard of any silly situations that you mentioned.

This country is based on monogamy, and if the Muslims want to follow their Sharia laws and keep multiple wives, then they can move to a Muslim country that allows lt. We have a two spouse system, for both gay and straight people. That's it.
It's not a silly debate.

This country is also based on Christian values. Christians do not value homosexuality. Until very recently, homosexuality was seen as taboo (some could argue it still is seen as taboo to some). A man and woman marrying was the basis of this country for the last 200 years... but that changed. There is no reason to definitively say that the idea of someone marrying only one other person won't also change.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:15 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
No, it's a silly debate. And you are just trolling and baiting. Gays only wanted what others have. To argue that their rights somehow open the door to silly and weird combinations is a hollow argument. In Massachusetts, gays have been marrying for 10 or so years, and I have not heard of any silly situations that you mentioned.

This country is based on monogamy, and if the Muslims want to follow their Sharia laws and keep multiple wives, then they can move to a Muslim country that allows lt. We have a two spouse system, for both gay and straight people. That's it.
We used to have a man and woman marriage system, that changed. I think that is the point being made here.

A two spouse system isn't it any more than a man and woman marriage system was it.

I don't think the OP was trolling, this has come up quite often and there are more than a few who believe it is practical and should be legal.

Nothing is "it". Not using marijuana was it too, now look.

The people in the USA who happen to think polygamy regardless of the sexes involved should be legal aren't mostly muslims. They are the white people who walk among you.

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:

No, I don't think he's trolling.

Yes, gays only wanted what others have.

Maybe I misread what pennyone was saying, but I interpreted the presentation not of equality, but of the concept of religious freedom. I'm not advocating it, and in fact would be very much against it. But if one believes in "freedom of religion", which is constantly being pushed, pushed, pushed, then how do you draw the line against what some particular religion says. I think it's a very interesting question.

Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,640 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I don't know... "because it can be messy to unravel"? I really don't know... that sounds awfully LAME(!) to me as the reason a First World Nuclear Superpower gives to answer this question. And it is the only answer they have ever given. Legal Gay Marriage was and is a game changer. There is now a need to come to grips with the legal and social intricacies of polygamous and polyamorous marriage. Who knows, it might make the system of divorce fairer for the rest of us.
really messy to unravel... yes it could if allowed also change the rules of divorce. 2 vs 1 in a contract dispute and such. The world may need more lawyers.. Good thing I'm not a "first world nuclear superpower"

Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Quote:

Didn't we just go through this with the gay marriage debate? The definition of marriage has changed repeatedly. It used to have be people of the same race. It used to have to be people of different genders. So why is it hard to believe that it couldn't go to more than two people?

The law for marriage should only go so far as consent. Children cannot be married and you can't marry animals or inanimate objects. But if three adults by their own volition chose to marry one another, why should it be denied?

Old 07-29-2015, 10:18 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This country is also based on Christian values.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Quote:
A man and woman marrying was the basis of this country for the last 200 years... but that changed.
What is that even supposed to mean? The "basis of this country" is settlement and economic activity.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:23 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Wrong, wrong, wrong.
Um, are you seriously denying that Christianity is the religion this country was built upon? Do we not have "In God we Trust" written on our money? And do you think that God they're talking about is Allah? "To the republic, for which it stands, one nation, UNDER GOD"? Does the Oklahoma Statehouse not have the Ten Commandments in monument form on its property?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
What is that even supposed to mean? The "basis of this country" is settlement and economic activity.
I was logically following this argument made by another poster:

Quote:

What this person means is the only people ever allowed to marry in our history are two people - a man and a woman. Three people (four, five, six...) cannot marry, because we've made it that way.

What I was saying is, we've also made it for the majority of our country's lifetime so far, that only a man and woman can marry at all, regardless of how many spouses they have, but no same sex marriages were allowed. But that changed recently. So we cannot say that the idea that monogamy is the only option won't also change.

Context helps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events