Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 09:20 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderingaboutstuff View Post
So...because Law X changed, therefore any other law can change? Good logic there. Now maybe we can legalize child murder while we're at it, because that is SO MUCH like legalizing homosexual marriage.
No. Legalizing same sex marriage, therefore changing longstanding tradition, opened the door for other marriage options, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 09:25 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderingaboutstuff View Post
Well that is self evident, but I guess it needs explaining for *some* people. Ummm Marriage by nature, obviously, a long-term relationship that requires the extreme of *loyalty* and *intimacy*, something that many people detest and is precluded by the presence of a THIRD PARTY.
You cannot definitively say that there is no one out there who wants a three or more person marriage or relationship and that they won't do just fine in it. I'm not advocating for it, I just think that it doesn't concern me who or how other people marry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
A two spouse system is not a solely "Christian" value. Go to any country in the Far East, where Confucian values hold sway and you also have a two spouse system. You need to get out more.
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know that Chinese explorers founded this nation. For some crazy reason I thought we got our freedom from the Protestant British.

I get out enough. Perhaps people should stop pretending they don't know what I am talking about and being obtuse (and claiming I said or insinuated things that I did not). It is quite simple: this country was founded by Christians. Christianity has influenced our laws. Our laws are not based on it, but it has influenced our values. Had we been founded by Confucians, Confucian ideals would have influenced our laws and values. Those ideals may overlap, but it wasn't the Chinese who essentially created America.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:12 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I can. No one is allowed to have more than legal spouse at a time. That is equal treatment.
It was "equal treatment" when no one could marry anyone of the same sex, too. That law applied equally to everyone. So, it's no stretch to see the SC allowing more than one spouse whether that be one man with multiple wives, one woman with multiple husbands or group marriages of same or mixed gender.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:16 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Now that the gay marriage is the law of the land, can anyone truly deny the right for 2 girls to marry the same guy?

I think it's just a question of time before we see a lawsuit from a muslim, and a mormon and all their wives and some lesbian couple to challenge the status-quo. And if they do, I cannot see how the Supreme Court can deny them their right in light of last decision on gay marriage.
Muslims? Mormons have been fighting that particular fight for years. There have already been lawsuits and trials and everything else. Old news.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:20 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Muslims? Mormons have been fighting that particular fight for years. There have already been lawsuits and trials and everything else. Old news.
But wouldn't the latest decision of the Supreme Court regarding same-sex marriage reopen that door? Now there's an argument to reconsider, imho.

And to make the attempt all-inclusive, I'd actually think it would be a good tactics to throw in a Gay couple willing to take a 3rd person in )

Old 07-30-2015, 10:42 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
You are correct. Once the mainstream LDS Mormons settled their Utah Zion, they began to realize the problems in patriarchal men hoarding the woman supply.

It worked when their was a surplus of widows and orphans, but once Zion was settled, it was trouble.
The Mormons settled the Salt Lake Valley in 1847. Polygamy was publicly introduced in 1852 -- seven years after they arrived.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:38 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
In doing some reading on the topic, polygamy has a much harder road to travel because all 50 states have bigamy laws. Meaning, it's illegal to enter into a marriage contract with more than one person. Same-sex couples were being denied a right given to everyone else. In this case, no one has the right to marry more than one person. I do not think lawsuits over polygamy will succeed (other than ones challenging the legality of laws in some states like Utah that made 'cohabitation' illegal) because there is no actual discrimination occurring. Everyone is subject to the same set of laws. It's not as if we are saying that certain groups can engage in a polygamous marriage and others can't.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:44 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I had a political science professor (brilliant guy!) propose this question. It was an interesting discussion in my civil liberties class.

FWIW, his argument was that it is a perfectly valid argument to make. Once you open the door on different marriages than the traditional, it's likely that other types of non traditional marriages will come into question and maybe law.
And they'll use the same arguments as were used to push gay marriage. And why not?

Old 07-30-2015, 11:50 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
No, it's a silly debate. And you are just trolling and baiting. Gays only wanted what others have. To argue that their rights somehow open the door to silly and weird combinations is a hollow argument. In Massachusetts, gays have been marrying for 10 or so years, and I have not heard of any silly situations that you mentioned.

This country is based on monogamy, and if the Muslims want to follow their Sharia laws and keep multiple wives, then they can move to a Muslim country that allows lt. We have a two spouse system, for both gay and straight people. That's it.
And that two spouse system traditionally consisted of one man and one woman. That system has been turned on its head by recent rulings and the demands of the gay lobby. There is no reason to think that the system cannot be changed further to allow anything desired by those willing to challenge the system as the gays did.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:52 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Supreme Court Justices are doing exactly what the Constitution says they are supposed to do.
By changing the wording, thus the intent. of a law so it fits the agenda of progressives? That is not their role in government.
Article three is the shortest concerning the powers of government. Article three defines the judicial.
They overstep their bounds while DOJ sits on it's hands and does nothing. They look into what suits Holder's agenda, not that of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events