Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 01:02 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrr777 View Post
Jesus does not approve of gay marriage. And when it comes to sin, he will forgive if you are actually seeking forgiveness. You see to live in sin you will not be forgiven and he knows when you are truly asking for forgiveness. For you to say it's ok to sin as long as your asking for forgiveness would be like killing a person everyday and asking for forgiveness. Sorry it just doesn't work that way. You are living in sin by continuing to do the same sin over and over. No man shall ly with another man, no woman shall ly with another woman.

Oh really? I don't believe in your god. Nor do I think it likely that Jesus ever existed, at least not the Jesus of the bible. I don't ask for forgiveness for being gay. (and whom would I ask it of, anyway?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 01:18 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
Silly to who. Gays did have what others had. Every man had a right to marry a woman. Every woman had a right to marry a man.

For you to call those who believe in polygamy silly, seems rather strange. Who are you to now judge what is acceptable for marriage?
I'm always impressed how people peddle this argument, oblivious to how laughably vacuous it is.

As I've pointed out before, this is as ludicrous as claiming that Christians in Saudi Arabia have the same rights as anyone else - everyone there is equally allowed to practice Islam and everyone there is equally prohibited from practicing Christianity. Of course, it is glaringly obvious that the right to practice Islam for a Christian is as utterly useless as the right to marry someone of the opposite sex is for a gay person. Both notions are laughable.

PS:
The State of Virginia used your exact same logic in 1967, when it claimed to the United States Supreme Court that its laws banning interracial marriage were perfect just and reasonable because everyone of every race was equally banned from marrying everyone of another race. Not a single member of the high court gave any credence this completely wrongheaded notion, however, and into history's dustbin went that nonsense.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:18 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,407,199 times
Quote:
Jesus does not approve of gay marriage. And when it comes to sin, he will forgive if you are actually seeking forgiveness. You see to live in sin you will not be forgiven and he knows when you are truly asking for forgiveness. For you to say it's ok to sin as long as your asking for forgiveness would be like killing a person everyday and asking for forgiveness. Sorry it just doesn't work that way. You are living in sin by continuing to do the same sin over and over. No man shall ly with another man, no woman shall ly with another woman.
And Jesus didn't exist

Old 08-18-2015, 02:22 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Quote:
Jesus does not approve of gay marriage.
Care to provide a quote from him?

Old 08-18-2015, 02:26 PM

13,483 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Quote:
How do you know? Did he tell you?

You do know he doesn't exist right? And even if he did, he is loooong dead, so he's not around to pass judgement

Oh & God does not exist either, incase you were wondering...

But bigots unfortunately do exist

Old 08-19-2015, 06:26 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
LOL! That's rich! Please cite your source.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:15 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
I'm a Christian and have yet to see where exactly Jesus denounces homosexuality, and have yet to see the source of the anti-homosexuality agenda by fellow Christians.

Every Christian is different. We're not all the same. We vary in degrees of belief, faith, and how religious we are. I find it varies by region...

I was raised in the Catholic Church, got all my sacraments up to Confirmation, attended CCD from 1st-9th grades, attended children's mass weekly at church when I was young, and on and off attended church regularly through the years. I was never once taught any anti-homosexuality messages. I was never once taught by anyone at any time that we should denounce homosexuality or anything else. I find it sad that others were. I guess I just belong to a great church. We don't dwell on that kind of stuff. We dwell more on helping others.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:48 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm a Christian and have yet to see where exactly Jesus denounces homosexuality, and have yet to see the source of the anti-homosexuality agenda by fellow Christians.

Every Christian is different. We're not all the same. We vary in degrees of belief, faith, and how religious we are. I find it varies by region...

I was raised in the Catholic Church, got all my sacraments up to Confirmation, attended CCD from 1st-9th grades, attended children's mass weekly at church when I was young, and on and off attended church regularly through the years. I was never once taught any anti-homosexuality messages. I was never once taught by anyone at any time that we should denounce homosexuality or anything else. I find it sad that others were. I guess I just belong to a great church. We don't dwell on that kind of stuff. We dwell more on helping others.
I was raised Catholic and I don't remember the subject ever being brought up either. Not in church, nor in education, etc.

But the fact is the Catholic church is very hierarchical. There is no room for divergence from Catholic teachings. And the church teaches that homosexuality is intrinsically immoral.

There's no basis for this in nature. Anyone who naturally feels homosexual should naturally be homosexual. There will always be a small percentage of people who are. And for us, the best thing is to do what comes naturally. It would be worse to fake being straight or to live a life of celibacy. That's basically what the Catholic church thinks those predisposed to homosexuality should do. But that is totally wrong.

It's wrong to expect someone to live a life of celibacy (and I disagree with Catholic priests taking vows of celibacy for the same reason, but that's another topic). That's what's truly unnatural.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:53 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I was raised Catholic and I don't remember the subject ever being brought up either. Not in church, nor in education, etc.
What Old Testament says, is not what Jesus said.
What Apostles said, is not what Jesus said.
What Church says, is not what Jesus said.

What Jesus said and did can be found only in the Gospels.
Until I read anything against homosexuality there, I cannot agree that Jesus was against it, or that it is a sin (for the Christians).

Old 08-19-2015, 09:55 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

But the fact is the Catholic church is very hierarchical. There is no room for divergence from Catholic teachings. And the church teaches that homosexuality is intrinsically immoral.

There's no basis for this in nature. Anyone who naturally feels homosexual should naturally be homosexual. There will always be a small percentage of people who are. And for us, the best thing is to do what comes naturally. It would be worse to fake being straight or to live a life of celibacy. That's basically what the Catholic church thinks those predisposed to homosexuality should do. But that is totally wrong.

It's wrong to expect someone to live a life of celibacy (and I disagree with Catholic priests taking vows of celibacy for the same reason, but that's another topic). That's what's truly unnatural.
I didn't even know the Catholic Church denounced homosexuality until I heard about it in the media as a young teen. Seriously. I was just never raised with that mindset, not from my Catholic family, the church itself, any of my CCD teachers, my priests. We never ever even discussed it.

I still don't know, like I said, where this attitude comes from. It's sad it exists but I hope people stop painting Christians/Catholics with a broad brush acting like we all disagree with homosexuality and think it's a sin. Not all churches or individuals or priests believe that. Even the Pope has made comments against that belief lately. I like him. He wants to enact some much needed change among the individuals who want to keep spreading the hate. We are not all like this. And like I said, I think it also varies by region.

My church alone disproves whatever vile things people like to say or think about Catholics, especially on the internet. I belong to an excellent church. I think many Northeastern Catholic churches are like mine. Other than some seriously corrupt or inappropriate conduct sometimes, I don't find the Italian (or Irish) Catholics of the Northeast spread hate. We just don't focus on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events