Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 12:55 AM

228 posts, read 171,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Now that the gay marriage is the law of the land, can anyone truly deny the right for 2 girls to marry the same guy?

I think it's just a question of time before we see a lawsuit from a muslim, and a mormon and all their wives ....
Bullcrap...why would anyone share a man when the man can't share his wives? WTF sense does that make except in the mind of an "all powerful" male or gold digging baby-making broodmare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
the legal and social intricacies of polygamous and polyamorous marriage.
Yes, the "intricacies" of all the advantages that men get with their polygamy...

Old 07-30-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No one was allowed to marry a same sex partner for a long time too. And that changed.
So...because Law X changed, therefore any other law can change? Good logic there. Now maybe we can legalize child murder while we're at it, because that is SO MUCH like legalizing homosexual marriage.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Oh, my goodness! What a difficult question! Let me think...

Hmm... is "2" a different number than "3"?

That's a tough one...

I'm going to have to get back to you on this vitally important question.
LOL IKR... why is it always the real braintrusts around who are so obsessed with polygamy being some kind of right that men have? Jesus It's almost like they don't grasp basic logic or something..and by extension, women's basic rights...

Old 07-30-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

The people in the USA who happen to think polygamy regardless of the sexes involved should be legal aren't mostly muslims.

Are you sure about this, or are you exaggerating your kind's prevalence?

Old 07-30-2015, 01:35 AM

[quote=Nepenthe;40609709]
I personally think "marriage" should just disappear as something the government recognizes, in favor of enforcement of domestic contracts.

-------------------------------
In the really long run we will need to let go of notions of romantic love, courtship, etc. We'll need to eliminate the idea of gender. I think men have got to go. I think women alone should carry the species to the stars.
--

I can't even imagine what sort of response this would have drawn here, were you a woman.

That said, I can't even BEGIN to address the level of absurdity, irrationality and evil in your comments. Your propose destroying some of the most beautiful notions the human soul has ever given rise to and in the same breath you advocate abolishing gender while imagining that women will carry the species...this makes NO sense at all.

Why do you people hate romance and loyalty so much?

Old 07-30-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
If two girls want to marry the same guy first they are going to have to find two guys who want to marry the same woman. Two ladies + one fella = patriarchal oppression. Creepazoid, probably closet pedo. Two fellas + one lady = empowerment and grrrrrl power. 3 and a Z you go girlfriend! One for the billz and one for the thrillz! This is how you get the precedent set, then there is no legal basis for denying the two girl one guy scenario.

What sort of woman would remain monogamous with a man who spends half his time away from her? How can her sexual needs be fulfilled? Is she asexual? I don't get it.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Just what every guy wants: disappoint two women at the same time, for the rest of your life.

LOL That is what I don't get about it. Why not just have an open relationship?

This makes NO sense from my (hetero female) side of things.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:06 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
The failure of logic here is this.

No marriage law was changed. What the Supreme Court ruled is that laws can't be created to stop Gay marriage and furthermore if any are, it violates equal protection under the law.

You are correct that Gays & Lesbians couldn't never get married before this. But there were no laws on the books that stopped it so there was nothing for the Court to challenge. When the zealots put Defense of Marriage and other similar laws on the books in the 1990s and 2000s, they unwittingly opened the doors to a court challenge and ultimate the decision by the SCOTUS.

The understanding of this, makes almost all the hyperbolic points made about polygamy, etc. pointless.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Polygamy is a very bad thing.

Polygamy might be a handy tool in a society full of widows and orphans. However, in a settled civilization, it leads to hordes of young single men who cannot settle down, and cannot find wives because the affluent older patriarchs in the society hoard them. These young single men become violent and crime prone. In America's Mormon Church, this was very much the experience.

In any human society there are approximately the same number of men and women. Under monogamy, which limits each man to one wife, everyone gets a fair chance to marry. When powerful and successful men are allowed to take more than one wife, however, as they are in a polygamous society, this creates a pool of unsuccessful men at the bottom of society who are constantly in conflict with the system.

In The Land Of Fruits And Nuts: The Suicide Bachelors Of Polygamous Islam
THIS!! A strong connection. I remember Joseph Campbell drawing a connection between warlike tribal states, polygyny/harems and patriarchal oppression. Societies which are more peaceful and cooperative value aggression and sanguine traits less.

NO WOMAN would choose this abomination if the playing field were level. What sort of women denies her own sexuality night after night while overhearing her "husband" having sex with the other wives? Let's please start calling this what it is: ABUSE not a "nontraditional marriage".

Does anyone have morals any longer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events