Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
Nice find, thanks.

There has been ZERO clear days so fay this May. Here's a graphic of May for past 5 years and the rain total for the month.

* So far this year in May we have not had a clear day.
* Bridgeport has seen more rain in every May since 2007.
* Usually we see more Partly cloudy days then Cloudy days but this May so far we have more Cloudy
* Hartford only sees Clear days for 3.5 days in May on average past 5 years.

Today will be Day 9 without Full Sun.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice find, thanks.

There has been ZERO clear days so fay this May. Here's a graphic of May for past 5 years and the rain total for the month.

* So far this year in May we have not had a clear day.
* Bridgeport has seen more rain in every May since 2007.
* Usually we see more Partly cloudy days then Cloudy days but this May so far we have more Cloudy
* Hartford only sees Clear days for 3.5 days in May on average past 5 years.

Today will be Day 9 without Full Sun.

And of course I ain't complaining Like I said, 20% of possible sun is plenty for me!

It is KILLING me however having to be a work with the ceilings so low! I'm itching to get up and fly in this weather! I spoke with a buddy of mine who owns a plane based at Lincoln Park, NJ, and he flew to JFK this morning around 10:45 and didn't see the runway until he was 250 to 300 ft high---about 30 seconds before landing!!

I am sooo jealous he got to take advantage of such nice instrument conditions!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM

Calling Papafox..Attention ladies & gentlemen, this is inside a crystal ball at the momemt but we could be experiencing possible turbulence around May 24th.

My 1st rule of thumb... CONSISTANCY. So far its 2 of the last 3 runs. once it shows something at least 6 times in this range I get confident. Then confidence drops each time it doesnt show it.

While its rare to happen and hit us in May, GFS is showing a Hurricane off the East coast. Dont ask about timing, path or strength, lets just see if an overall coastal storm keps popping up.

00 run

Last run

Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Calling Papafox..Attention ladies & gentlemen, this is inside a crystal ball at the momemt but we could be experiencing possible turbulence around May 24th.

My 1st rule of thumb... CONSISTANCY. So far its 2 of the last 3 runs. once it shows something at least 6 times in this range I get confident. Then confidence drops each time it doesnt show it.

While its rare to happen and hit us in May, GFS is showing a Hurricane off the East coast. Dont ask about timing, path or strength, lets just see if an overall coastal storm keps popping up.

00 run

Last run

Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 PM

Default May 9, Storms

Heads up Litchfield...Very slow moving storms heading into Litchfield and has created a Flash Flood Warning for Westchester and Rockland Counties.

545 PM EDT WED MAY 9 2012
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON NY HAS ISSUED A
* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...
WESTCHESTER COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...
ROCKLAND COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...
* UNTIL 745 PM EDT...
* AT 541 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED FLASH FLOODING FROM A CLUSTER OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS THAT CONTINUE TO GENERATE OVER THE WARNED AREA.

Some thunderstorm cells are firing, one just south of I-84 in the Hudson Valley and another across portions of Litchfield County.

There could be gusty winds and heavy downpours.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:47 PM

633 posts, read 1,644,961 times
Hmmm I like cloudy and partly cloudy days.... dont like full sun which kills my eyes and hate frowning, too...

Old 05-09-2012, 06:47 PM

Slow moving thunderstorm about to cross into Litchfield County has been producing rates of 2"of rain per hour

Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 PM

Heavy rain should clear out by mid morning.

FLOOD ADVISORY
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
1032 PM EDT WED MAY 9 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON NY HAS ISSUED AN

* URBAN AND SMALL STREAM FLOOD ADVISORY FOR MINOR FLOODING OF POOR DRAINAGE AREAS IN...
EASTERN BERGEN COUNTY IN NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...
WESTCHESTER COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...
BRONX COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...
NEW YORK (MANHATTAN) COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...
FAIRFIELD COUNTY IN SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT...

* UNTIL 1115 PM EDT...

* AT 1028 PM EDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED HEAVY SHOWERS MOVING IN FROM THE NORTH AND WEST. THEY ARE MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST AT AROUND 15 MPH. THEY ARE ALSO DEVELOPING AS THEY MOVE WITH RAIN RATES BETWEEN 1 AND 2 INCHES PER HOUR. THIS WILL CAUSE MINOR FLOODING OF ROADWAYS AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 AM

Had some local downpours overnight. Not sure if you all have rain gauges (they are cheap to buy) most spots got over 2" of rain in last 24hrs.

10 days into May and I'm at 4.10" of rain for the month. Normal for BDR for entire month of May is 4.03". That doesnt mean my normal is the same but wet is the word of the month. And cloudy.

My plants are bent over, not from the rain, I think they are praying for some sun.
Current Radar, Satelite, and temps. Notice the clouds are clearing but that rain over central NY now worries me. More clouds coming?>?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:53 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
0.70 inches of rain last night in NH. We did have one clear day this week, Monday. I went and did the Welch Dickey mountain loop trail in Waterville Valley late in the afternoon. I do have more respect for the small mountains. That trail is fairly rugged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut