Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 03:05 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Most reason being is cause it melts slower and sticks quicker. So add a couple more inches for you. But a system carrying 1" of moisture will not drop 1.25" on Winsted and .75 on BDL. lol But yeah, I meant 1000 feet not 2000 and there's always a couple inch difference..

Total of 21.5"
It's not just the orographic lift squeezing a few more inches of precip, but the fact that many times it snows up at around 1000 feet, while down in the valley it's raining or mixing. I can't count the amount of times it's snowing in the high elevations of the far nw hills, but raining at bdl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 03:15 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
It's not just the orographic lift squeezing a few more inches of precip, but the fact that many times it snows up at around 1000 feet, while down in the valley it's raining or mixing. I can't count the amount of times it's snowing in the high elevations of the far nw hills, but raining at bdl.
Oh, I 100% agree with that.. Same thing happens at coast and north of Merrit. Just look at the totals. BDR had 4" in October but Wilton had 10". On the map its not that far from eachother but its the air temp and elevation gain.(little it may be).

Further making your point, all the 1/2"-1" snows add up for you while those days it could have been rain at BDL.

If those 850 temps are under freezing it's almost guaranteed you get snow. Its funny to drive from Stamford to Ridgefield and see nothing accumulated at the start of storm in Stamford but Ridgefield has 2 inches already.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:51 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Oh, I 100% agree with that.. Same thing happens at coast and north of Merrit. Just look at the totals. BDR had 4" in October but Wilton had 10". On the map its not that far from eachother but its the air temp and elevation gain.(little it may be).

Further making your point, all the 1/2"-1" snows add up for you while those days it could have been rain at BDL.

If those 850 temps are under freezing it's almost guaranteed you get snow. Its funny to drive from Stamford to Ridgefield and see nothing accumulated at the start of storm in Stamford but Ridgefield has 2 inches already.
The difference in snowfall in this state over such short distances and such minimal elevation is quite frankly incredible. You go from having almost near buffalo type of yearly snowfall in norfolk, ct to maryland like snowfall at groton airport. lmao It really is a transition state as far as climate goes.

Thanks for the pulling the winsted data. I can't believe how little snowfall they've had this year. Really a freak year. Hopefully we make up for it next year with more snow.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:23 PM

March 1, 2012 Storm Update.

Hurricane Hunters ready to fly into the system in the Pacific to gather more data from it. They wouldnt do this if a threat for a storm wasn't there. NHC Aircraft Reconnaissance

There's the system riding alone in the Pacific.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:38 PM

633 posts, read 1,644,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
The difference in snowfall in this state over such short distances and such minimal elevation is quite frankly incredible. You go from having almost near buffalo type of yearly snowfall in norfolk, ct to maryland like snowfall at groton airport. lmao It really is a transition state as far as climate goes.

Thanks for the pulling the winsted data. I can't believe how little snowfall they've had this year. Really a freak year. Hopefully we make up for it next year with more snow.
I remember when I was very young, we did had a winter camp in march and I remember being in the hills and there were still snow that was as high as 3 feet and the day I was heading back home there was some flurry up in the hills and getting back to New Britain it was a bit rainy with no snow on any soils, all melted. Weird

Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,625 times
I called my former neighbor, who has moved to Arizona, to tell her that her ***** willow is beginning to burst out (several catkins open already) and her Japanese maple tree had one set of leaves open yesterday morning - by afternoon, several more new leaves out. Oldtimers here say the willows always come out around March 15.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM

633 posts, read 1,644,961 times
I notice more bugs flying around today... I think plants and animals are telling true signs of spring...I do believe they have a message to tell when it comes to seasons

Old 02-23-2012, 04:47 AM

Couple short term notes: Heads up tonight(after 10pm) those north of 84 or above 500 feet.

"THERMAL PROFILES APPEAR JUST COLD ENOUGH ACROSS NORTHERN ZONES FOR AN ONSET AS WET SNOW OR SLEET TONIGHT. A LIGHT ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE ACROSS HIGHER ELEVATIONS."

"MOST LOCALES SHOULD CHANGE OVER COMPLETELY TO RAIN WITH THE EXCEPTION OF S NH WHICH MAY REMAIN A WINTRY MIX BY MIDDAY INTO THE EARLY AFTN. FIRST GUESS SNOWFALL TOTALS FOR THIS EVENT PUT ROUGHLY 1 TO 3 INCHES FOR S NH AND HIGHER TERRAIN OF N AND W MA."

Then winds will be the story tomorow night and Saturday. Could gust to 40mph so heads up.

"A TIGHT WEST-NORTHWEST PRES GRADIENT... ALONG WITH CAA(Cold Air Avection)...WILL RESULT IN WINDY CONDITIONS OVER THE AREA ON SATURDAY. WINDS ACROSS NYC...COASTAL CT AND LONG ISLAND WILL APPROACH WIND ADVISORY CRITERIA...BUT SHOULD REMAIN JUST BELOW WITH WINDS RANGING FROM 20-30 MPH WITH 40+ MPH WIND GUSTS."

Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 AM

Here's how the Euro model looks for tomorrows small system coming from the West right over our area. Has 3" for Litchfield county. Even brings 2" down to coast and Westchester.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 AM

You wanna be a forecaster? Firgure this one out. Back to back runs of the short range NAM model.

Last run(on right) shows almost 60 into NYC, previous run(on left) shows upper 40s. \

So what do you tell everyone the temperatures are going to be in 24 hrs?

This is just insane how technology is not keeping up with our weather this season even a day before.

This time frame is for Friday at 7pm...so obviously warmer earlier then whats showing here.

So do you put down its going to be 65 or 55? LMAO..Dillema Dillema.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut