Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 11:50 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,366,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by witnessachange View Post
there is no way there is going to be rain.. are you watching the weather in florida??? its way to cold and the water temperature is cold.. all the arctic air is being pulled into this storm.. I honestly predict that where I live I will get a foot and a half of snow... the storms tracking farther north than expected.. even torrington is getting 8-12

Don’t take my word for it…listen to the National Weather Service…(I underlined).

FXUS61 KOKX 091803
AFDOKX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
103 PM EST TUE FEB 9 2010

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH THURSDAY/...
DEEP CLOSED MID AND UPPER LEVEL LOW BARRELS ACROSS OHIO VALLEY TO A POINT SOUTH OF CWA. LOW PRESSURE FORMS NEAR THE CAROLINA COAST AND WILL DEEPEN OFF THE VA CST EARLY WED. THE LOW THEN TRACKS NEAR
OR JUST SOUTH OF THE BENCHMARK WED EVENING AS IT DEEPENS RAPIDLY.
GFS/UKMET TRACK FURTHER SOUTH ACCEPTED AS IT SEEMS TO CORRELATE
WELL WITH UPPER PATTERN.

WILL INCREASE POPS FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST TONIGHT. EXPECT
SNOW TO MOVE ACROSS NYC METRO/NERN NJ AROUND MIDNIGHT...THEN
SWEEP EASTWARD THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. SERN CT MAY NOT SEE
MUCH SNOWFALL UNTIL EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING.

AS THE STACKED LOW APPROACHES AND PASSES JUST TO OUR SOUTH...
SNOW WILL INCREASE IN INTENSITY. COULD SEE SOME MIXING OF SLEET
AND RAIN DEPENDING OF BOUNDARY LAYER TEMPS...AND H8-H9 WARMING
ACROSS LI. ANY MIXING WILL KEEP AMOUNTS DOWN JUST A BIT.

I think what is confusing you… is that you assume that cold air is a constant – it’s not. Low pressure wraps air in a counterclokwise direction. If low pressure were centered 150-miles out in the Atlantic southeast of Long Island…the cold air is pulled south. If the low is right over Connecticut (or closer to CT), warm is drawn in over the ocean, and mixing (rain) occures in southern CT. This is why rain occurs in winter storms more often in far southern Connecticut/Long Island. It is a precarious line the low must follow…too close mix cuts down on amounts…too far and main precip sheild stays off shore (falls over the ocean).

You can only hope that there is enough cold air in the mix to support the snow in the low gets close. ANY wind off the Atlantic (southerly) brings in warm air. Also, I 'm not sure what you mean by "the water is cold" Any temp of water above 32.1 F is above freezing. You can see by the SST map as of today…that 5 C (41 F) waters surround the immediate coastline of Long Island. The subtropical Gulf Stream is always less than 150 miles out to sea (39 N) in the Atlantic Ocean is off the Tri-State area. The waters are 14 C (55 F) to 15.5 C (60 F) even now in late winter. If theres a southelry folw for even a few hours...RAIN WILL MIX IN trust me (lol).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 12:21 PM

11,300 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witnessachange View Post
there is no way there is going to be rain.. are you watching the weather in florida??? its way to cold and the water temperature is cold.. all the arctic air is being pulled into this storm.. I honestly predict that where I live I will get a foot and a half of snow... the storms tracking farther north than expected.. even torrington is getting 8-12
It's all the track, there are even times when NYC, Philly and Boston gets snow and Cape Cod and SE MA get rain because the storm was offshore in the Mid-Atlantic but tracked west of Cape Cod (but east of Boston). That scenario is kind of rare, but it does happen.

My personal guess is a little snow in the morn, a lot in the afternoon, then maybe a short change to rain on the coast and 6-12" total. But we'll see.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:39 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
NWS is forecasting 10-16" for FFC:
National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary

Old 02-09-2010, 08:23 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
It is now snowing here in Babylon, Long Island, a few minutes after ten. Thats about 2 to 5 hours earlier than the NOAA website said it would.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:28 PM

21,627 posts, read 31,221,057 times
I'm not looking forward to my drive into work tomorrow. I'm even less so looking forward to the ride home at 3:30.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:10 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,328 times
I have a feeling we won't see too much snow. It looks like it's changing over to rain, right now anyway.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:35 AM

11,300 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I have a feeling we won't see too much snow. It looks like it's changing over to rain, right now anyway.
Looks like it's changing back with a vengeance.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:18 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,682,794 times
ok where the heck is the snow? Im sitting in hartford and the sun is out!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:51 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,366,619 times
Temp 31.9 F are rising here along the coast east of New Haven...and rain mixing in. I think that 12 inches is along shot at this point.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:36 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
It's been snowing in upper FFC all morning. So far we have about 3".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut