Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 11:28 AM

53 posts, read 56,839 times

Advertisements

Hello to the people considering moving to the community. I thought maybe this might be Informative . Background: I’ve lived in town for 30 years, Got married here, raised a family, started a business and volunteered in the community. Although I’m doing 183 days out of state for tax purposes, I’m keeping my homes here ( Greenwich) as I believe Connecticut has some of the smartest nicest people you will meet anywhere…Areas: All the towns I’ve mentioned share the same high school which is as good as any of the private schools in town…. However, you do not get a school sticker for the back window of your Range Rover that says you’re paying $30,000 per year to send little Thurston Howell the third to Brunswick etc…. But if you’re hell-bent on private school, go for it. Probably the best value is Greenwich Catholic school…. Different areas: It used to be to backcountry homes or nothing. About 15 years ago as younger people started moving to town from NYC and Westchester NY they saw convenience living close by Route 1. Now being close to route 1 is the new “must” have for many newcomers ( that’s what I see as a real estate investor and Landlord) Probably the best value is Cos Cob or North Miamis. you’re going to be hard-pressed to find something under 1.4. But the taxes are incredibly low in proportion to the purchase price… In any case If you’re looking for safety, great schools, many dining opportunities, and nice people you can buy/rent anywhere in town and by fine…. Country clubs: First be aware that Connecticut charges a 10% tax on your monthly bill, join the least expensive club ( I don’t think anything is under 50,000 but don’t hold me to that. You’ll have reciprocal agreements with all the other clubs so the less you spend upfront the better :Best food Tamarack, Nicest looking club, Greenwich country club, Nicest vibe Millbrook, but these are just my opinions they’re all good:::Shopping: Only out of town people from NY shop on Greenwich ave.. But if you like looking at $800 sweaters, getting a cup of coffee and an easy stroll it’s nice:..walking paths : There are two in Cos Cob that are free and enjoyable.: train commute: Easy parking at Riverside and Cos Cob with the permit, A bit more difficult at Greenwich: Restaurants: The people in this town expect a certain level of service and these restaurants do deliver. They’re all good. They’re not cheap but they’re all good…. Politics: This is just one person observation, I’ve heard all too often “ I’m so excited and happy to be living here. The taxes are so low compared to New York”… Then they run for local office, Get elected and wouldn’t know it the first thing they is push for “improvements” which necessitate raising taxes… go figure… anyway much success in your future endeavors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2024, 11:34 AM

373 posts, read 156,558 times
Using the enter button and making paragraphs would be ideal

Old 04-13-2024, 12:35 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
I would say all of Greenwich is one town. If you want to refer to sections such as Byram, Old Greenwich, Cos Cob, Glenville, etc as if they are their own entities, I would think village fits best. Similar to Rowayton and Norwalk. Everything is Norwalk, but Rowayton is a nice village different from anything else in Norwalk.

Route 1 (the East/West Putnam Ave) probably have the greatest concentration of businesses in all of Greenwich given how long it is and much of its length is one commercial development after another (fir the most part done tastefully and without that big parking lot feeling you often get in suburbia shopping strips.) Traffic is fine, but it does gets busy during rush hours and God forbid something happens on I-95. The nice thing about Greenwich is that once you get away from Route 1, traffic is always moving at a decent pace.

I wouldn’t say out-of-towners are the only ones that shop on Greenwich Ave. Just last week I noticed Saks Fifth Avenue isn’t just in one building, by]ut continues in the building across the street. With those two buildings, that has to be the biggest store on Greenwich Ave. The restaurants along Greenwich Ave and even within Greenwich but not on The Avenue do tend to be nice. They are also frequently visited. At least I don’t remember a single time when I have been into various restaurants up and down Greenwich Ave that didn’t have a decent to full amount of people. Many nice art galleries up and down The Avenue too.

Very nice place in Greenwich is the Bruce Museum. The place is very close to Greenwich Ave that it’s possible to walk to the museum and then walk to The Avenue to dine.

Overall, Greenwich is a very nice town, larger than most nice towns.

Street parallel parking in downtown Greenwich is metered, but after 5pm and on Sunday they are free. Not just for Greenwich, but much of Fairfield County I have the ParkMobile app on my iphone. Due to that I haven’t physically used cash or a card to,pay for parking since everything is done rather quickly on the iphone. Usually there is a number on the meters visible from the car. You put that number and pay. If it’s beyond the paying time, it doesn’t let you pay. It also warns you if say you’re in a restaurant a the paid time is finishing, just put more money through the app and avoid a parking ticket without even getting up! I also have Passport app which is the same but for Westchester County, NY. As far ac paying for metered parking, these things are the greatest inventions. lol

Last edited by AntonioR; 04-13-2024 at 12:45 PM..

Old 04-13-2024, 06:11 PM

6,881 posts, read 3,732,518 times
All towns/Cities with significant population numbers have sections, villages whatever you want to call them that are unique and different from other areas.
I think Zipper nailed it. Great job.

Old 04-14-2024, 07:15 AM

6,575 posts, read 4,966,508 times
What's the other state you live in?

Old 04-14-2024, 08:13 AM

4,450 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
What's the other state you live in?
I think ericvonzipper moved to Florida for half the year (+ 1 day). There is another thread where we were talking about snowbirds.

Even though ericvonzipper moved 1/2 the year to FL (I think) he made a very nice post about CT. That says a lot about CT that he is staying here for 1/2 the time. I am from the Stamford area and all of my older cousins/friends have properties in FL now and many who can afford are snow birds like ericvonzipper.

Here is something that is interesting. My cousins/friends that live outside of Fairfield County who don't have the kind of wealth of someone in the greater Stamford area can't afford to be snowbirds and can't even afford FL anymore. Those individuals are moving to the Carolinas but mostly SC in the Charleston area.

I have heard that Mount Plesant near Charleston is very nice. One person from Darien told me they like Mount Pleasant better than Darien. That is really saying something! Mount Plesant NC is one place I would like to see.

Old 04-14-2024, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I think ericvonzipper moved to Florida for half the year (+ 1 day). There is another thread where we were talking about snowbirds.

Even though ericvonzipper moved 1/2 the year to FL (I think) he made a very nice post about CT. That says a lot about CT that he is staying here for 1/2 the time. I am from the Stamford area and all of my older cousins/friends have properties in FL now and many who can afford are snow birds like ericvonzipper.

Here is something that is interesting. My cousins/friends that live outside of Fairfield County who don't have the kind of wealth of someone in the greater Stamford area can't afford to be snowbirds and can't even afford FL anymore. Those individuals are moving to the Carolinas but mostly SC in the Charleston area.

I have heard that Mount Plesant near Charleston is very nice. One person from Darien told me they like Mount Pleasant better than Darien. That is really saying something! Mount Plesant NC is one place I would like to see.
Mt Pleasant isn’t cheap or affordable by any stretch of the imagination.
If you want affordable Charleston you have to go 20 miles inland.
I may have mentioned in this in one of my previous millions of City Data posts that I know two Fairfield families that moved to Mt pleasant recently . Not reiteees, families with kids and dogs

Old 04-14-2024, 07:27 PM

373 posts, read 156,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Mt Pleasant isn’t cheap or affordable by any stretch of the imagination.
If you want affordable Charleston you have to go 20 miles inland.
I may have mentioned in this in one of my previous millions of City Data posts that I know two Fairfield families that moved to Mt pleasant recently . Not reiteees, families with kids and dogs
You are mostly correct. The prices are not cheap and with interest rates where they are at, it’s not affordable by most standards BUT the massive massive difference is Mount Pleasant property taxes are dirt cheap.

$1M house property tax $2100 a year:
https://apps.realtor.com/mUAZ/dyf5itfc

$4M house property taxes $5500 a year.

So, a few years ago when interest rates were 3%, with the low property taxes, you can see why it was still a lot cheaper than CT.

A $450K house in West Hartford can have property taxes of $12,000. Yes the schools are a lot better but $10K difference in property taxes each year for a house that is 50% less isn’t nothing.

Old 04-14-2024, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
You are mostly correct. The prices are not cheap and with interest rates where they are at, it’s not affordable by most standards BUT the massive massive difference is Mount Pleasant property taxes are dirt cheap.

$1M house property tax $2100 a year:
https://apps.realtor.com/mUAZ/dyf5itfc

$4M house property taxes $5500 a year.

So, a few years ago when interest rates were 3%, with the low property taxes, you can see why it was still a lot cheaper than CT.

A $450K house in West Hartford can have property taxes of $12,000. Yes the schools are a lot better but $10K difference in property taxes each year for a house that is 50% less isn’t nothing.
The prop tax will be reappraised at the 1M market price. It’s not like CT with the 70% of assessed thing ( not based on market). It will still be lower than CT but insurance costs will be higher. Big Insurance won’t cover the southeast coasts anymore. They all fled the market. SC income tax is not much lower than CT either.
I dont know the schools are better than W Hartford. Most college grads of both will end up as spreadsheet jockeys in Corp America. Jobs orangutans can do. Even Darien and New Canaan publics aren’t doing anything soooo special believe me they ain’t.

Ok that’s enough City Data for the night. I’m getting tired of having to edit on an iPhone mini keyboard. This thing drives me crazy.

Old 04-14-2024, 10:51 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
The prop tax will be reappraised at the 1M market price. It’s not like CT with the 70% of assessed thing ( not based on market). It will still be lower than CT but insurance costs will be higher. Big Insurance won’t cover the southeast coasts anymore. They all fled the market. SC income tax is not much lower than CT either.
I dont know the schools are better than W Hartford. Most college grads of both will end up as spreadsheet jockeys in Corp America. Jobs orangutans can do. Even Darien and New Canaan publics aren’t doing anything soooo special believe me they ain’t.

Ok that’s enough City Data for the night. I’m getting tired of having to edit on an iPhone mini keyboard. This thing drives me crazy.
Get an iPad Pro. Your eyes are getting strained by looking at the iphone screen for so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut