Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 14,766 times

Advertisements

We are planning to make the move from NYC to the suburbs, and we have heard great things about these two towns. However, we are concerned that both towns are very "white bread" and would have little to no ethnic diversity. Can anyone give information as to whether these two towns have any ethnic diversity? (We understand we are unlikely to get much in the way of socio-economic diversity -- and we are more concerned with ethnic diversity in any event, as our children have other exposure to socio-economic differences). Thanks in advance
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 02:08 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times
You wont see much diversity.
Stamford might be a better mix of people for you.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:14 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
I'm honestly not trying to paint the town of Greenwich as being "un-welcoming", but i am reminded of an ugly incident a few years ago. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/09/nyregion/09beach.html

Old 09-22-2009, 04:24 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Oh GOD FORBID your kids live in "whitey world". We know how bad white folks are.

P.S. You might want to look at the demographics one town to the East. All the crack you can handle.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:52 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
You wont see much diversity.
Stamford might be a better mix of people for you.
I agree. Stamford also appears to have the largest number of Jewish in the county. Schools however, may only be suitable at the elementary level, so you would likely be looking at private schooling at the middle/high school levels.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:00 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Heck with diversity. In Greenwich, if you're rich then you're accepted. Simply put. Race, religion or any other identity aside.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:49 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethNYC View Post
We are planning to make the move from NYC to the suburbs, and we have heard great things about these two towns. However, we are concerned that both towns are very "white bread" and would have little to no ethnic diversity. Can anyone give information as to whether these two towns have any ethnic diversity? (We understand we are unlikely to get much in the way of socio-economic diversity -- and we are more concerned with ethnic diversity in any event, as our children have other exposure to socio-economic differences). Thanks in advance
CT cities are diverse, CT suburbs are not.

If diversity is a deciding factor where you would choose to live then I don't think Greenwich is what you are looking for. Don't get me wrong...I think its an awesome place to live.

Maybe Westchester County would be a better choice for you? Good luck!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:58 PM

155 posts, read 552,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm honestly not trying to paint the town of Greenwich as being "un-welcoming", but i am reminded of an ugly incident a few years ago. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/09/nyregion/09beach.html

"A white member of the class whose car had New Jersey plates was questioned at the gate, but allowed in without a pass. Mr. Lash, the first selectman, said the gatekeeper was exercising reasonable discretion when he let that person in."

WTF

Eh, i never liked blue bloods anyway, bunch of arrogant jerks.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:00 PM

155 posts, read 552,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Heck with diversity. In Greenwich, if you're rich then you're accepted. Simply put. Race, religion or any other identity aside.
Bzzzzzzzt old money (mostly WASPS) does not like new money (can be anything)

Old 09-22-2009, 08:28 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iypoon View Post
Bzzzzzzzt old money (mostly WASPS) does not like new money (can be anything)
It's not old money vs new money. It's rich vs not rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
This article IMO is ludicrous. It's a perfect example of people pulling the race card, and the media allowing it to happen. I lived in Cos Cob for a bit and tried a few times to get into Greenwich Point, once in my Subaru wearing khaki cargo shorts and a collared polo, and another with my girlfriend - both well dressed - and we were denied both times since we didn't have a pass. We even showed a piece of mail, but were still denied. The people working the gate are usually teenagers.

Another newspaper begging for a story.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 09-22-2009 at 09:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut