Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 11:36 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some thoughts/advice regarding my parents, who are both retired and interested in moving to the Fairfield Center/Beach section of town. My mother doesn’t drive and my dad used to drive however is unable to due to health issues. I am planning on eventually moving down there (I can certainly drive) and will split time during the week between CT/Boston.

We are looking for a safe, decent community that is walkable for my parents for light groceries, café’s etc. Also would like to have access to medical center/facilities. We were looking primarily in Fairfield County due to the ease of access to NYC. Initially focused on Greenwich condos (Less than $500K) and didn’t find much inventory there, so we shifted towards Fairfield.

I am definitely familiar with the Fairfield and really like the area near Post Road, which extends to the Beach. Inventory there is low for the sub $500K price point for a single family house. I work in Real Estate so renovating an older property is not an issue. I do have a few questions:

- Besides Fairfield Center/Beach, are there any other similar areas in Fairfield County? We are also open to New Haven County, however it has to be before New Haven.
- I am aware of St. Vincent’s urgent care on Post Road. Besides that medical center, what is the access to the hospitals like in Fairfield? I am concerned for my dad’s health and ease of access to a hospital/medical facility.
-Safety: Fairfield Center/Beach appears to be safe. Are there any crime related issues to be concerned about?
- Senior services: Although my parents are not looking for any special services, does the town have any special consideration for seniors (reduced cost for buses etc.)?

I know that these are fairly disparate questions and not everyone may be able to respond to all of them, however your input is really appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 12:59 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Fairfield Center is very nice with a lot of great shops and restaurants nearby but it can also be very pricey, there really are not a lot of condos and grocery stores are not located in the center of town. They are located further away on the Post Road. There are buses run by the Greater Bridgeport Transit District so you might want to look at them and see if there are homes in their price range near one of the lines. The Center is served along the Post Road by the Coastal Link Route and the No. 7 route. No. 7 runs with very limited hours so be careful. Coastal link runs much more often.

GBT - Home

I would also maybe suggest also considering living on the east side of town. Black Rock Turnpike has a lot of stores and restaurants as well as a Shoprite Supermarket and there are homes nearby. It might work better for your price range. The No. 10 bus line goes up and down Tunxis Hill Road/Black Rock Turnpike with buses every half hour to hour.

Another town you may want to consider is Milford. There should be a lot of homes in your price range there and there is more shopping and entertainment as well.

Without being able to drive it does limit where they can go. Have you considered independent or assisted living? There are a number of them around and it would help with things like doctor's appointments and groceries. Just a thought. Jay

Old 03-28-2016, 01:02 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Forgot to address the medical question, there are no hospitals in Fairfield. The closest would be St. Vincent's in Bridgeport. It is very good. There is also Bridgeport Hospital there as well. The next closest would be Norwalk Hospital which is also good. There are a lot of doctors and a couple of walk-in clinics in town as well. Jay

Old 03-28-2016, 01:12 PM

52 posts, read 73,581 times
You may find this website helpful that describes each community in Connecticut: CTINFO.COM

Walking to shops and coffee is possible in downtown Fairfield but getting to a supermarket will be difficult. But you could be a member of Stop and Shop's Peapod, web-based grocery, and have groceries delivered to your front door.

I think you should consider the towns of Westport ( Whitney Glen condos, close to downtown walking) and Wilton. Westport has a taxi service so that could help. Wilton has many condo complexes close to the downtown of Wilton which has the train, shops, coffee, Stop and Shop, restaurants. Not sure if condos are ok with your parents. Darien also has some small homes close to downtown shops and train but they are pricey.

Happy to help you with any aspect of your search. Best of luck!

Old 03-28-2016, 01:16 PM

52 posts, read 73,581 times
Access to hospitals is open - no issues there. Many facilities available. Connecting your parents with the right doctors will facilitate which hospitals they will use.

Special considerations for Seniors: You should check out each town's website which will describe the services they offer to seniors. e.g. WestportCT.gov; FairfieldCT.gov; etc.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Fairfield Center is very nice with a lot of great shops and restaurants nearby but it can also be very pricey, there really are not a lot of condos and grocery stores are not located in the center of town. They are located further away on the Post Road. There are buses run by the Greater Bridgeport Transit District so you might want to look at them and see if there are homes in their price range near one of the lines. The Center is served along the Post Road by the Coastal Link Route and the No. 7 route. No. 7 runs with very limited hours so be careful. Coastal link runs much more often.

GBT - Home

I would also maybe suggest also considering living on the east side of town. Black Rock Turnpike has a lot of stores and restaurants as well as a Shoprite Supermarket and there are homes nearby. It might work better for your price range. The No. 10 bus line goes up and down Tunxis Hill Road/Black Rock Turnpike with buses every half hour to hour.

Another town you may want to consider is Milford. There should be a lot of homes in your price range there and there is more shopping and entertainment as well.

Without being able to drive it does limit where they can go. Have you considered independent or assisted living? There are a number of them around and it would help with things like doctor's appointments and groceries. Just a thought. Jay
Thank you for the detailed response, Jay -- precisely the information I was looking for. I know about Coastal Link, the information on Number 7 bus is very helpful. I'm just thinking of their travel considerations during the days while I'm up in the Boston area. If they need some milk or want to have dinner at a restaurant in town.

I'll also look at Black Rock area more closely. You're right about the prices being lower in that section of town. The houses seem to be move in ready as well.

I have heard about Milford, is there a neighborhood/section of town that you would recommend? I'm in CT on the weekends and can take a look.

They are definitely not interested/need independent or assisted living arrangements. My mother is in great health and my dad (while recovering from surgery) should be able to bounce back well. I'm sure that there is a taxi/Uber option as well. My folks like to go out once in a while, check out cultural events, walk to the park/beach (if nearby) and like to head down to NYC once in a while. If they need groceries/doctors appts/random errands, I can take care of them. I work for my self, and have time flexibility.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Forgot to address the medical question, there are no hospitals in Fairfield. The closest would be St. Vincent's in Bridgeport. It is very good. There is also Bridgeport Hospital there as well. The next closest would be Norwalk Hospital which is also good. There are a lot of doctors and a couple of walk-in clinics in town as well. Jay
Great! This is very helpful. Forgot to mention, we looked in Norwalk-Spring Hill close to Norwalk Hospital. Prices were right, however there was that same convenience/walkability issue.

Thanks again for the helpful response.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfieldCountyPal View Post
You may find this website helpful that describes each community in Connecticut: CTINFO.COM

Walking to shops and coffee is possible in downtown Fairfield but getting to a supermarket will be difficult. But you could be a member of Stop and Shop's Peapod, web-based grocery, and have groceries delivered to your front door.

I think you should consider the towns of Westport ( Whitney Glen condos, close to downtown walking) and Wilton. Westport has a taxi service so that could help. Wilton has many condo complexes close to the downtown of Wilton which has the train, shops, coffee, Stop and Shop, restaurants. Not sure if condos are ok with your parents. Darien also has some small homes close to downtown shops and train but they are pricey.

Happy to help you with any aspect of your search. Best of luck!
Thanks so much FairfieldCountyPal!

The website is really helpful. I think walking to the shops in downtown/getting coffee is most important. I'll be around for the grocery shopping. Peapod definitely helps as well.

I'll look at Whitney Glen and also Wilton. My parents are ok with Condos (we were looking at condos in Greenwich). Downtown Wilton is definitely a great option, I have driven by it.

Darien would be a stretch. My parents and I are open to smaller 2 bd houses that need work. Will keep an eye out for Darien as well.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfieldCountyPal View Post
Access to hospitals is open - no issues there. Many facilities available. Connecting your parents with the right doctors will facilitate which hospitals they will use.

Special considerations for Seniors: You should check out each town's website which will describe the services they offer to seniors. e.g. WestportCT.gov; FairfieldCT.gov; etc.
Sounds good. I don't mean to make them sound like they are chronically ill. As we get older, the medical issues become a bigger facet of life and I want to make sure that they can receive medical care when it's needed.

I really appreciate the incredibly helpful responses.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,337 times
Default Formerly from Fairfield

I lived there for 25 years, however, I was not a "senior" at the time so my knowledge of senior related issues is zilch. The Fairfield Beach area is safe as is all of Fairfield. Petty theft exists but I can't think of any areas in our country that are totally crime free. However, avoid nearby Bridgeport esp. at night. Very close to Fairfield Beach is Sasco Beach which is a very nice beach surrounded by smaller older cape cod homes some within your budget until you access Sasco Beach Road which is very expensive real estate. As for hospitals, St. Vincent's in Bridgeport is the closest hospital. Bridgeport Hospital being the next closest. I'd opt for St. Vincent's over Bridgeport Hospital. Are you still looking at homes in Fairfield County? Fairfield County real estate is the most expensive in the state. Another option might be Norwalk. I think Fairfield has a nicer "downtown area" though. I think you might have better luck in New Haven County real estate wise. Many of the beach communities/towns are very nice. Guilford has a huge town green surrounded by shops and a few restaurants. The beach is down the road, more restaurants, a boat launch and many nice houses. Branford, esp. the Stony Creek area is also very nice. Clinton is another favorite. Old Saybrook is another winner (Katherine Hepburn' summer home is located here.) Madison is also nice but more pricey real estate. Hospitals would be Yale Medical and St. Raphael's both in my opinion better than St. V's or Bridgeport Hospital. Overall though Fairfield would be my "pick". In addition to being closer to NYC, the train station is right off of the Post Rd. which is "Main" St. in Fairfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut