Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 03:13 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,958,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I personally would not worry about being near the Bridgeport line. The sections of Bridgeport that border Fairfield are the best sections of the city (Black Rock, Brooklawn and the North End). I swear I have driven out-of-towners through these neighborhoods and have had them say what nice neighborhoods Fairfield has. They could not tell the difference.

The neighborhoods bordering Bridgeport are Grasmere, Tunxis Hill, Brooklawn and Stratfield. The neighborhoods I am talking about are Fairfield Woods and Lake Hills. They are not near Bridgeport. That said there is no doubt that the Fairfield Center/Beach areas are more desirable locations these days but it is increasing harder and harder to find a home (good or bad) in your price range there. Fairfield Woods or Lake Hills would offer your parents a nice home with the convenience of being near shopping at a reasonable price. Good luck with your search. Jay
Thanks Jay. Very good points.

I am not all concerned about the the Bridgeport bordering neighborhoods. The point is that Fairfield neighborhoods bordering Bridgeport have tons of houses (even nicer than Beach/Center) for sale, so I am not worried about finding one that fits my parents needs. I am still planning on doing the research/driving by.

I'll check Fairfield Woods and Lake Hills neighborhoods as well. By any chance, do you know if there is a website that lists out all the neighborhoods in Fairfield and their approximate boundaries. It's getting challenging keeping up with all the names. Thus far, I know Southport, Fairfield Center/Beach, University Area (near Fairfield U?), Stratfield, and Tunxis Hill. I see listings with other neighborhoods listed, and have tried come up with assumptions based on that.

Thank you so much for your very helpful advice! Regardless of the neighborhood, its great to know that Fairfield is a wonderful community with many informed citizens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 08:52 PM

Just came across this informative website on Fairfield neighborhoods: Fairfield Neighborhoods : Fairfield County CT Real Estate : Denise Walsh & Partners

Old 04-03-2016, 08:40 AM

34,962 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Just came across this informative website on Fairfield neighborhoods: Fairfield Neighborhoods : Fairfield County CT Real Estate : Denise Walsh & Partners
This is pretty good but it is missing at least two major neighborhoods, Mill Plain and Fairfield Woods. It also does not have Brooklawn, Hoydens Hill or Rock Ridge. You could argue the Brooklawn and Hoydens Hill are part of Stratfield and that Rock Ridge is part of Lake Hills and/or Greenfield Hill but they really aren't. At least to the long time locals. Jay

Old 04-03-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
This is pretty good but it is missing at least two major neighborhoods, Mill Plain and Fairfield Woods. It also does not have Brooklawn, Hoydens Hill or Rock Ridge. You could argue the Brooklawn and Hoydens Hill are part of Stratfield and that Rock Ridge is part of Lake Hills and/or Greenfield Hill but they really aren't. At least to the long time locals. Jay
Interesting. Where would Mill Plain and Fairfield Woods be close to?

Old 04-03-2016, 12:08 PM

34,962 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Interesting. Where would Mill Plain and Fairfield Woods be close to?
Mill Plain is immediately north of the Center. It is centered along Mill Plain Road. Fairfield Woods is east of Black Rock Turnpike, south of Lake Hills, west of Stratfield and north of Tunxis Hill. It is centered olong Fairfield Woods Road. Both very nice popular neighborhoods. Jay

Old 04-04-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Mill Plain is immediately north of the Center. It is centered along Mill Plain Road. Fairfield Woods is east of Black Rock Turnpike, south of Lake Hills, west of Stratfield and north of Tunxis Hill. It is centered olong Fairfield Woods Road. Both very nice popular neighborhoods. Jay
Excellent, thank you so much Jay!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:39 PM

5 posts, read 4,073 times
As others in this thread have noted, there are lovely, less pricey neighborhoods on either side of Black Rock Tpke and further up Fairfield Woods Road toward the Stratfield neighborhood. However, if you're looking for a place where your elderly parents, who don't drive, can walk to restaurants, the train, and some stores for milk, bread, etc., then the beach area and the downtown area are really your only options. Nothing else is realistically walkable. You can't walk on Black Rock Turnpike. Or you could, but wouldn't want to.

There's a house for sale on Riverside Drive for $419,000 that needs work, but looks good. Even that location, however, may be a bit of a walk to town for your parents.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 4,073 times
Some other possibilities in the downtown/beach area of Fairfield:

this one on Mona Terrace, literally a stone's throw from the Senior Center, which runs small buses around town (not sure where they go, but worth investigating) --http://realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/177-Mona-Ter_Fairfield_CT_06824_M39392-00715 -- Although I see it's labeled "cont. to show," so maybe someone put in an offer,

This one on Lind-- tiny but on a nice street around the corner from 7-11 for those milk and bread runs--http://realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/60-Lind-St_Fairfield_CT_06824_M42536-21512. Will definitely hold its value, as identical ranches on this street have been turned into million-dollar homes.

If you're really not afraid of rehab, check this one out on Veres: 242 Veres St, Fairfield, CT 06824 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®. Across the street from a field and playground. You will get dump smell on occasion there-- just depends on how sensitive your sniffer is.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:47 AM

570 posts, read 478,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interested bystander View Post
You can't walk on Black Rock Turnpike.
Agree that BRT is a busy road, certainly not stroll worthy. Still, as you mentioned, Fairfield Woods has some nice neighborhoods. If poster found something near Fairfield Woods middle school (Farist Rd, Fairland Dr, Coral Dr) then you could walk right to Trader Joes, Panera, Bagel King, Penny's Diner etc off Stillson and avoid Black Rock turnpike completely. That part of Stllison is pretty nice (still busy but ok) plus you have GBTA bus on corner and Fairfield Woods branch library right there as well. It does not get any more convenient than that anywhere in Fairfield. Of course, you are limited to just several streets if walkable is a must. My final thoughts on this.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested bystander View Post
As others in this thread have noted, there are lovely, less pricey neighborhoods on either side of Black Rock Tpke and further up Fairfield Woods Road toward the Stratfield neighborhood. However, if you're looking for a place where your elderly parents, who don't drive, can walk to restaurants, the train, and some stores for milk, bread, etc., then the beach area and the downtown area are really your only options. Nothing else is realistically walkable. You can't walk on Black Rock Turnpike. Or you could, but wouldn't want to.

There's a house for sale on Riverside Drive for $419,000 that needs work, but looks good. Even that location, however, may be a bit of a walk to town for your parents.
Thank you for the response. Your comments match my thoughts very well. I agree that the Black Rock Turnpike area is wonderful, however the walking limitations are real.

If things don't work out in the Center/Beach area then I'll definitely look towards the Black Rock Turnpike area. The plan would be to buy a place right now to get into Fairfield and then look for a more convenient house closer to the center of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut