Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 09:41 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Thanks for the response, CT_Yank.

I am not sure if I agree that houses are impossible to find in the sub $500K in Fairfield Beach/Center. My realtor pulled more than 23 sold listings for the past 6 months in the area. Their condition may be questionable, however that is not an issue for me as I have significant experience in rehabbing houses in the Boston area and can do the same in Fairfield. Unlike many home buyers, an older house needing an update does not deter me.

I am definitely open to Black Rock and will check it out this weekend. Your right about the the good inventory/houses being in better condition. My thought is that I'll focus on the downtown area for now, however if things look bleak and a great deal comes along in the Black Rock Tpke area, we'll make that deal.
Just want to clarify something, when you say "Black Rock", you are talking about Black Rock Turnpike in Fairfield and not the Black Rock section of Bridgeport. There is a big difference. Just be clear on that when looking.

Also note, those 23 homes likely have issues like being on a busy street, needing tons of work or overlooking the dump or sewage treatment plant. Most of the homes I have seen listed in that area are above the $500,000 mark. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 10:11 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
The flood zone is a good point. I have reviewed the flood maps and have estimates for flood insurance based on the zones.

In real estate, there is always a cost for the desirable areas.
There's a nice move in ready cape on Oldfield Rd for $450K, nice views of the marsh in back, close enough to town. A bit of a busy Rd though not that bad, much nicer area than Black Rock Turnpike.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
There's a nice move in ready cape on Oldfield Rd for $450K, nice views of the marsh in back, close enough to town. A bit of a busy Rd though not that bad, much nicer area than Black Rock Turnpike.
Oldfield Road is a very busy road. I would not want to live on it. I think it is arguable whether the Oldfield neighborhood is better than Black Rock Turnpike area. It certainly is not "much nicer". The homes in Oldfield are basic capes, colonials and a few ranches. Nothing special. The neighborhoods near Black Rock Turnpike are just as nice, if not nicer. Both the transfer station and the sewage treatment plant are near Oldfield (there can be odors) and that marsh is not exactly wonderful to live near. But again to each their own. The only thing Oldfield has is convenience to the Center and the train station. But now that Fairfield Metro Station has opened, I would say Black Rock Turnpike is only slightly less convenient plus it has a lot more parking available. Jay

Old 04-01-2016, 07:42 AM

570 posts, read 477,687 times
Jay,

Completely agree. Not expert on Beach area but spent much time house shopping down there. I never understood the appeal and snootiness factor to much of it. Sure, there are some great streets and beautiful homes but you have to be looking at 1 million plus. There are many run down looking streets with very small houses plus flood insurance, the sewer plant and dump as you mention. Every time I saw house in 550k range I had to do investigative google map search. Sure enough, they always had big isue being next to dump or bad street or weird lot. I could never bring myself to pay top dollar just to say I live in beach area. Not for everyone I guess. Honestly, I drive from Blackrock area, close to lake, to Fairfield Metro everyday. It is 8-9 mins from time I leave driveway to parking my car. No hassles. Seriously, how much different is that than someone in Beach area or University area leaving their home and parking at Fairfield Station. Also, seats are still available at FF metro but less so when you arrive at Fairfield.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:21 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Just want to clarify something, when you say "Black Rock", you are talking about Black Rock Turnpike in Fairfield and not the Black Rock section of Bridgeport. There is a big difference. Just be clear on that when looking.

Also note, those 23 homes likely have issues like being on a busy street, needing tons of work or overlooking the dump or sewage treatment plant. Most of the homes I have seen listed in that area are above the $500,000 mark. Jay
Yes, Jay, I am familiar with the difference between Black Rock Tpke in Fairfield and the Section of Bridgeport.

Fair enough, I am willing to enter the market and see what is possible in the sub $500K range.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I know exactly the one your talking about Raider! In fact, I'll be checking it out this weekend

Old 04-01-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Jay,

Completely agree. Not expert on Beach area but spent much time house shopping down there. I never understood the appeal and snootiness factor to much of it. Sure, there are some great streets and beautiful homes but you have to be looking at 1 million plus. There are many run down looking streets with very small houses plus flood insurance, the sewer plant and dump as you mention. Every time I saw house in 550k range I had to do investigative google map search. Sure enough, they always had big isue being next to dump or bad street or weird lot. I could never bring myself to pay top dollar just to say I live in beach area. Not for everyone I guess. Honestly, I drive from Blackrock area, close to lake, to Fairfield Metro everyday. It is 8-9 mins from time I leave driveway to parking my car. No hassles. Seriously, how much different is that than someone in Beach area or University area leaving their home and parking at Fairfield Station. Also, seats are still available at FF metro but less so when you arrive at Fairfield.
CT_Yank, I am going to look out for the sewer plant and the dump. Talk about a strange location for those installations. Then again, based on my research, I understand that the Beach area became popular for year round family living relatively recently.

I'm keeping Black Rock Tpke area in consideration. The reality is that there is tons of inventory in the sub $500K range, so I am not worried about finding a place if I strike out in the Beach area. Also, I'd like to do some more research/driving around there to be sure.

One thing I wanted to ask: Is there a difference between Fairfield Beach and Fairfield Center? I think the Center would be closer to Post Road shopping/Train? However is it a defined neighborhood? Not to be super picky, but I'd prefer houses near the Center particular because of the town conveniences not to mention the smell issues. Moreover, flood insurance is less likely to be required as well.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Oldfield Road is a very busy road. I would not want to live on it. I think it is arguable whether the Oldfield neighborhood is better than Black Rock Turnpike area. It certainly is not "much nicer". The homes in Oldfield are basic capes, colonials and a few ranches. Nothing special. The neighborhoods near Black Rock Turnpike are just as nice, if not nicer. Both the transfer station and the sewage treatment plant are near Oldfield (there can be odors) and that marsh is not exactly wonderful to live near. But again to each their own. The only thing Oldfield has is convenience to the Center and the train station. But now that Fairfield Metro Station has opened, I would say Black Rock Turnpike is only slightly less convenient plus it has a lot more parking available. Jay
Using your own phrase - We'll agree to disagree

Old 04-01-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Jay,

You are right. The Fairfield Beach area was never considered a prime neighborhood up until the past 20 years or so. At best it was middle class with small capes and ranches, maybe a modest colonial here and there. Fairfield Beach Road was lined with beach cottages that were not much more than shacks. Families would buy them on the cheap and rent them to Fairfield University students during the winter and use them as vacation homes in the summer. Then one by one, people came in and started upgrading or completely rebuilding them, turning the area into an east coast version of Malibu. This now seems to be spread up the side streets between the Old Post Road/Oldfield Road and the beach. Could nto believe people are willing to buy $1 million dollar homes there but they are. Jay

Old 04-01-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
CT_Yank, I am going to look out for the sewer plant and the dump. Talk about a strange location for those installations. Then again, based on my research, I understand that the Beach area became popular for year round family living relatively recently.

I'm keeping Black Rock Tpke area in consideration. The reality is that there is tons of inventory in the sub $500K range, so I am not worried about finding a place if I strike out in the Beach area. Also, I'd like to do some more research/driving around there to be sure.

One thing I wanted to ask: Is there a difference between Fairfield Beach and Fairfield Center? I think the Center would be closer to Post Road shopping/Train? However is it a defined neighborhood? Not to be super picky, but I'd prefer houses near the Center particular because of the town conveniences not to mention the smell issues. Moreover, flood insurance is less likely to be required as well.
Looks like that house sold already - see!

There's not a defined area between beach and center, but generally the center area is the streets off and around Old Post/Oldfield Rd. Despite the town dump (located just over the wall at Veres Park, at the end of roads just off Oldfield Rd - James, Eastlawn Streets,etc), teardowns there sell for $1M+ easy and fast. That doesn't happen in the BRT area. It's a more sought after location - end of story.
When the inevitable time to sell comes, you will have peace of mind that it will sell quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut