Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 08:01 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,958,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested bystander View Post
Some other possibilities in the downtown/beach area of Fairfield:

this one on Mona Terrace, literally a stone's throw from the Senior Center, which runs small buses around town (not sure where they go, but worth investigating) --http://realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/177-Mona-Ter_Fairfield_CT_06824_M39392-00715 -- Although I see it's labeled "cont. to show," so maybe someone put in an offer,

This one on Lind-- tiny but on a nice street around the corner from 7-11 for those milk and bread runs--http://realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/60-Lind-St_Fairfield_CT_06824_M42536-21512. Will definitely hold its value, as identical ranches on this street have been turned into million-dollar homes.

If you're really not afraid of rehab, check this one out on Veres: 242 Veres St, Fairfield, CT 06824 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®. Across the street from a field and playground. You will get dump smell on occasion there-- just depends on how sensitive your sniffer is.
Thank you so much for identifying a few good properties. Mona and Lind are both under agreement, have seen Veres as well. Without disclosing too much, I have definitely made offers on some of the houses. Due to the desirability of the area/tight inventory, I am monitoring the listings and will be ready to jump on a good deal as soon as it hits the MLS.

The best part about the Center/Beach areas is that it both meets my elderly parents needs and is a great longer term investment. Despite Sandy, the area seemed to have bounced back very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 08:06 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,958,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Agree that BRT is a busy road, certainly not stroll worthy. Still, as you mentioned, Fairfield Woods has some nice neighborhoods. If poster found something near Fairfield Woods middle school (Farist Rd, Fairland Dr, Coral Dr) then you could walk right to Trader Joes, Panera, Bagel King, Penny's Diner etc off Stillson and avoid Black Rock turnpike completely. That part of Stllison is pretty nice (still busy but ok) plus you have GBTA bus on corner and Fairfield Woods branch library right there as well. It does not get any more convenient than that anywhere in Fairfield. Of course, you are limited to just several streets if walkable is a must. My final thoughts on this.
CT_Yank: Thank you for the response - very helpful. I'll keep an eye out for the streets that you have mentioned. I must have driven by the area because my search on google maps shows some familiarity. The great thing about Fairfield is that there are wonderful neighborhoods that have pockets of commercial areas. The bus service is also very helpful.

I really appreciate your insights. Looking forward to the Spring Real Estate market!

Old 04-05-2016, 11:00 AM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Agree that BRT is a busy road, certainly not stroll worthy. Still, as you mentioned, Fairfield Woods has some nice neighborhoods. If poster found something near Fairfield Woods middle school (Farist Rd, Fairland Dr, Coral Dr) then you could walk right to Trader Joes, Panera, Bagel King, Penny's Diner etc off Stillson and avoid Black Rock turnpike completely. That part of Stllison is pretty nice (still busy but ok) plus you have GBTA bus on corner and Fairfield Woods branch library right there as well. It does not get any more convenient than that anywhere in Fairfield. Of course, you are limited to just several streets if walkable is a must. My final thoughts on this.
I have to disagree with people's opinions on whether Black Rock Turnpike is less pedestrian friendly than the Center. Yes, the core of the Center from Unquowa Road to Ruane Street have stores that front right on the Post Road but none of those are grocery stores. For food shopping the OP's parents would have to go out to the Circle area and that area is definitely less walkable than Black Rock Turnpike.

Black Rock Turnpike has sidewalks on each side and crosswalks at major intersections (Burroughs Road, Katona Drive, Shoprite/CVS/Peoples Bank, Fairfield Woods Road, Brookside Drive). There are pedestrian signals at Stillson Road so crossing is not as hard as some people think. The main difference is that the stores and restaurants are set back from the street and there are parking lots in front along the road. Still I know many people that walk there without issues. Another area the OP may want to consider is Katona Drive. I have friends that live along there and they walk up to Black Rock Turnpike stores and restaurants all the time. Again, the big plus on Black Rock Turnpike is that there is a Shoprite Supermarket right there that can be walked to. The Center does not have that. Jay

Old 04-05-2016, 11:18 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,184,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have to disagree with people's opinions on whether Black Rock Turnpike is less pedestrian friendly than the Center. Yes, the core of the Center from Unquowa Road to Ruane Street have stores that front right on the Post Road but none of those are grocery stores. For food shopping the OP's parents would have to go out to the Circle area and that area is definitely less walkable than Black Rock Turnpike.

Black Rock Turnpike has sidewalks on each side and crosswalks at major intersections (Burroughs Road, Katona Drive, Shoprite/CVS/Peoples Bank, Fairfield Woods Road, Brookside Drive). There are pedestrian signals at Stillson Road so crossing is not as hard as some people think. The main difference is that the stores and restaurants are set back from the street and there are parking lots in front along the road. Still I know many people that walk there without issues. Another area the OP may want to consider is Katona Drive. I have friends that live along there and they walk up to Black Rock Turnpike stores and restaurants all the time. Again, the big plus on Black Rock Turnpike is that there is a Shoprite Supermarket right there that can be walked to. The Center does not have that. Jay
There is a grocery store now in the center called B Fresh Market, has everything a supermarket has, it's behind the Plan B Burger where the Post office used to be.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
There is a grocery store now in the center called B Fresh Market, has everything a supermarket has, it's behind the Plan B Burger where the Post office used to be.
I forgot that store opened there. Still it is not a big store and as I understand it only sells organic products. If that works for the OP's parents, that would be fine. They could go there for the things they need more often and go to Stop & Shop or use Peapod for bulk items. Good catch, still I think the OP should not rule out Black Rock Turnpike. Jay

Old 04-05-2016, 12:25 PM

570 posts, read 478,532 times
Jay,

I think the opinions of BTR are based on aesthetics, not usability of sidewalks. Black Rock can't be viewed as a peaceful stroll. Cars flying all over the place and stores are big box. Certainly BTR has much more to offer in terms of grocery and large retail shopping over center. OP seems to believe exclusivity and resale value of beach area make it more attractive buy. As you said, there is no grocery shopping close by so they can't have it all. Concessions will be made.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 4,073 times
Also The Pantry right on Post Road, across from Rite Aid. A pricey and fancy grocery store, but great for filling in the gaps between major shopping trips. I prefer it to B Fresh, whose meat and produce I don't actually find to be fresh.

It turns out the Senior Center vans take people to dr's appointments in Fairfield and Bridgeport every day by appointment, as well as grocery store (Trader Joe's, Stop and Shop, Shop Rite) runs on designated days during the week, and scheduled trips to the Trumbull mall and hair salons less frequently. I think they pick you up and drop you off at your house. Worth looking into by googling the Fairfield Senior Center, which now has Bigelow in its name.

An elderly man died last year after being struck by a car while walking to his birthday breakfast at McDonald's on BRT, crossing at the light on Burroughs. I know parents of Fairfield Woods Middle School (located near that "walkable" intersection of Stillson and BRT) who won't let their kids walk to the stores on BRT simply because those intersections are insane. I find the Trader Joe's/Panera Bread and Shop Rite parking lots a nightmare to navigate by car; would hate to do it on foot. The intensity of the traffic, I think, keeps drivers' attention on other cars, not on pedestrians they're not expecting to be in front of or around those strip malls.

I, too, have said my piece on the walkability of BRT.

I just saw a house for sale at the far end of Riverside Drive, which I realized is close to the Ash Creek commercial area where Riverside meets Fairfield Ave. Not walkable to Fairfield Center, but there's a good Chinese restaurant there, another restaurant on the Riverside side of the intersection, and Luigi's-- a good, if not fancy, Italian restaurant down the road. Also a hair salon and a convenience store right at that intersection, and some more commercial stuff in strip malls down the (sidewalked) road in the direction of Fairfield Center. (! I know, I know-- I just said strip malls aren't walkable-- but the parking lots for these are smaller than on BRT.)

There's a condo complex on Unquowa Road right behind the Fairfield Center train station whose location would seem to be ideal for your parents. Completely walkable to the train and to the dead center of town-- a nice coffee shop, banks, and the library are right there. I haven't been on the grounds or in any units, so I can't speak to their quality or price.

I also noticed a small cape for sale on Welch Terrace, off Ruane, that would be quite walkable to town-- especially convenient to Rite Aid, Quattro Pazzi (a good, stylish Italian restaurant), the Pantry (that grocery store I mentioned), and Wild Rice (good pan-Asian restaurant).

Good luck!

Old 04-05-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Jay,

I think the opinions of BTR are based on aesthetics, not usability of sidewalks. Black Rock can't be viewed as a peaceful stroll. Cars flying all over the place and stores are big box. Certainly BTR has much more to offer in terms of grocery and large retail shopping over center. OP seems to believe exclusivity and resale value of beach area make it more attractive buy. As you said, there is no grocery shopping close by so they can't have it all. Concessions will be made.
Sorry but I find the Post Road to be equally busy outside the couple of blocks around Unquowa Road. Even within those couple of blocks it is very busy. I never said Black Rock Turnpike was peaceful. Then again the commercial areas in town generally are not. Southport is probably the only exception. Jay

Old 04-19-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I hope the OP is still reading this forum but it was just announced that the new B Fresh Market is closing after only 6 months. Sounds like supermarket giant Ahold (owner of Stop & Shop) is not going forward with this concept. Too bad because it did make a nice addition to the Center. Jay

Old 04-19-2016, 02:17 PM

This thread came to mind again the other day when I talked with a coworker of my wife. Her DS and DIL live in Fairfield and want her to buy another house for them to share. She is a widow and is considering living closer to her kids and grandkids. Their house is small and in a less desirable part of Fairfield (Holland Hill). They want her to buy a house off Oldfield Road, likely one of the houses we discussed here. I laughed when she said that they LOVE this neighborhood and pointed out how HOT it was. A decision needed to be made immediately because the house was going to sell fast. The coworker had reservations and wanted to know my opinion of it.

I checked the house they were looking at and immediately noted a few things. The house was on a small lot and it was not conducive to an in-law arrangement or adding an in-law apartment. The only way they could go is up and I did not think it was a good idea to build an in-law apartment on the third floor. She agreed and also did not realize that the town's sewage treatment plant was right down the street. She was very worried that the home was underwater during Hurricane Sandy which is a concern in that whole area. Like me she understands that the younger generation wants to be within walking distance of things but she does not want to be cornered into paying a lot for an older small house on a small lot in a "HOT" area when for the same money they could get a bigger house that would be more in line with their needs. I pointed her to Fairfield Woods or even Mill Plain as places that she could look. I guess us Baby Boomers see things differently than Millenials. Then again isn't that true for every generation? Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut