Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 10:24 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by awt1972 View Post
Fairfield now has a B Fresh supermarket in the center of town which opened recently, which saves trips to the bigger supermarkets. Great if you are within walking distance of town and just want to pick up a few things.

Ditto what pecanpie1 said above, also look in the Sasco area to the west of the beach area, lots of smaller cape homes and still walkable to town. Also I think less liable to flooding than parts of the beach area?

I do know that seniors can sign up for a snow shoveling service offered by students, not sure what else, but the senior center is right there in the Beach/Sasco neighborhood on Mona Terrace.
Great information Awt. I am very familiar with B Fresh and that would be perfect for my folks, to pick up an odd item or two.

I'll look at Sasco as well.

The snow shoveling services sounds great. I am planning on getting a snow plow service for the driveway, however they may not include shoveling the sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 10:39 AM

34,920 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Sasco Hill Road isn't in Southport; thats Fairfield.

1143 Sasco Hill Rd, Fairfield, CT 06824 | MLS #99037689 | Zillow
True but most locals will call it Southport because it is on the east side of Southport Harbor. Technically though it has a Fairfield zip code. Jay

Old 03-29-2016, 10:41 AM

34,920 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Great information Awt. I am very familiar with B Fresh and that would be perfect for my folks, to pick up an odd item or two.

I'll look at Sasco as well.

The snow shoveling services sounds great. I am planning on getting a snow plow service for the driveway, however they may not include shoveling the sidewalks.
As I said, Sasco does not have homes in your price range. The OP that recommended this was likely confusing it with South Pine Creek Road which is to the east. Jay

Old 03-29-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
As I said, Sasco does not have homes in your price range. The OP that recommended this was likely confusing it with South Pine Creek Road which is to the east. Jay
Got it, Jay. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:01 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Occasionally a small cape with TLC may come on the market in the $400s in the South Pine Rd area, however a little far removed from downtown walkability for older folks.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:28 PM

570 posts, read 477,326 times
"I would also maybe suggest also considering living on the east side of town. Black Rock Turnpike has a lot of stores and restaurants as well as a Shoprite Supermarket and there are homes nearby. It might work better for your price range. The No. 10 bus line goes up and down Tunxis Hill Road/Black Rock Turnpike with buses every half hour to hour"

New Englander,

I think Jay nailed it with this advice if you are set on Fairfield. Beach area is nearly impossible for sub-500k. It will be a dump. Blackrock Turnpike shopping area is not as quaint, certainly more utilitarian, but has lots to offer (ie medical offices, restaurants, diners, Shoprite, Trader Joe's, Starbucks, etc.). There is also Fairfield Woods library branch and Lake Mohegan recreation area nearby for beautiful walks. I think there is a bus route where Fairfield Woods Rd and Stillson Rd. meet, probably connects to all other bus and rail hubs. You can find a small, nice place for under 500k, probably lots of good inventory. We have lived in the area for a year and it is super convenient, but less upscale than downtown proper. No big deal to go downtown when you want though.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Occasionally a small cape with TLC may come on the market in the $400s in the South Pine Rd area, however a little far removed from downtown walkability for older folks.
I'm keeping an eye out for these types of deals. Anything less than $500K is do-able.

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
"I would also maybe suggest also considering living on the east side of town. Black Rock Turnpike has a lot of stores and restaurants as well as a Shoprite Supermarket and there are homes nearby. It might work better for your price range. The No. 10 bus line goes up and down Tunxis Hill Road/Black Rock Turnpike with buses every half hour to hour"

New Englander,

I think Jay nailed it with this advice if you are set on Fairfield. Beach area is nearly impossible for sub-500k. It will be a dump. Blackrock Turnpike shopping area is not as quaint, certainly more utilitarian, but has lots to offer (ie medical offices, restaurants, diners, Shoprite, Trader Joe's, Starbucks, etc.). There is also Fairfield Woods library branch and Lake Mohegan recreation area nearby for beautiful walks. I think there is a bus route where Fairfield Woods Rd and Stillson Rd. meet, probably connects to all other bus and rail hubs. You can find a small, nice place for under 500k, probably lots of good inventory. We have lived in the area for a year and it is super convenient, but less upscale than downtown proper. No big deal to go downtown when you want though.

Thanks for the response, CT_Yank.

I am not sure if I agree that houses are impossible to find in the sub $500K in Fairfield Beach/Center. My realtor pulled more than 23 sold listings for the past 6 months in the area. Their condition may be questionable, however that is not an issue for me as I have significant experience in rehabbing houses in the Boston area and can do the same in Fairfield. Unlike many home buyers, an older house needing an update does not deter me.

I am definitely open to Black Rock and will check it out this weekend. Your right about the the good inventory/houses being in better condition. My thought is that I'll focus on the downtown area for now, however if things look bleak and a great deal comes along in the Black Rock Tpke area, we'll make that deal.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:05 AM

570 posts, read 477,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Thanks for the response, CT_Yank.

I am not sure if I agree that houses are impossible to find in the sub $500K in Fairfield Beach/Center. My realtor pulled more than 23 sold listings for the past 6 months in the area. Their condition may be questionable, however that is not an issue for me as I have significant experience in rehabbing houses in the Boston area and can do the same in Fairfield. Unlike many home buyers, an older house needing an update does not deter me.

I am definitely open to Black Rock and will check it out this weekend. Your right about the the good inventory/houses being in better condition. My thought is that I'll focus on the downtown area for now, however if things look bleak and a great deal comes along in the Black Rock Tpke area, we'll make that deal.
Ok. Good luck. Just also know that most of Beach area is in flood zone so there may be added flood insurance costs and risk. I saw small houses with 7k yearly insurance so while price might appear lower, the overall costs could be more.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Ok. Good luck. Just also know that most of Beach area is in flood zone so there may be added flood insurance costs and risk. I saw small houses with 7k yearly insurance so while price might appear lower, the overall costs could be more.
The flood zone is a good point. I have reviewed the flood maps and have estimates for flood insurance based on the zones.

In real estate, there is always a cost for the desirable areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut