Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 AM

21,634 posts, read 31,237,489 times

Advertisements

The main thing was the wind, which kept me up for a few hours last night. Temps too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,949,854 times
To be fair, I think the local stations did a much better job with this storm. Most of the hype was from TWC and other national outlets.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 AM

11,307 posts, read 18,906,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I agree with you on the typical snow, but other than the media hype machine, why are we making it sound like more should have been expected? it was a typical winter storm where the sweet spot happened to be Boston. However, this extreme cold IS unique and worth noting.

who said this would be a monster storm? Not ONCE did I ever see a forecast for more than 6-10 inches...ANYWHERE IN CT. State received from 4-10 inches...dead on except pockets in the southeast part and northwest where it was overdone.
It wouldn't let me rep you as I must have for something else recently, but that's my exact point, the danger was in the wind, cold and in relative difficulty in cleaning roads (though Cambium I'm impressed with that pix of the Merritt......very little they are showing on the NYC stations looks really clean, even on the main roads), not in the snow amounts per se......no one was predicting more than a foot of snow (and in most places less) and in the one area where it was major in amount (metro Boston), it overperformed.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,174,109 times
[quote=Mike 75;32854952]To be fair, I think the local stations did a much better job with this storm. Most of the hype was from TWC and other national outlets.[/QUOTE

Agree.. do people actually still watch the weather channel to actually get weather forecasts and not hyped up agendas? ?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 AM

[quote=jp03;32855027]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
To be fair, I think the local stations did a much better job with this storm. Most of the hype was from TWC and other national outlets.[/QUOTE

Agree.. do people actually still watch the weather channel to actually get weather forecasts and not hyped up agendas? ?
And another rep I wish I could've given (I gave Mike75 one for his original post though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanchepilot View Post
its not just the weather channel naming storms - WFSB has been doing it for years and they have different names! One would think that NBC would be the one naming storms since TWC is a NBC network - of course, does the Weather Channel actually do weather any more? Or is it all reality series now?
NBC only bought the Weather Channel recently, and when they first did they did do that and stopped when they realized no one else did. Weather Underground started to as well once they were bought by the Weather Channel, but it appears have since backed off as well when their core audience complained. I once read somewhere that the only 2 groups (before the Weather Channel) in the entire US that did it was WFSB and (despite my saying otherwise) the Buffalo/Rochester office of the National Weather Service, and then (in the case of the NWS) only for lake effect storms. The Weather Channel in their rationale did argue when it first came out that many European nations (particularly Germany) do name snowstorms.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:55 AM

83,550 posts, read 75,414,786 times
Did you guys see the waves crashing and coastal flooding going on in MA where they got over a foot of snow? The flooding waters are freezing over. I wonder if the CT coast is getting flooding.

I'll add storm total map when they update.

Last edited by Cambium; 01-03-2014 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 11:06 AM

By the way, since a few pages back people wondered about what they do in Buffalo, etc., they generally got 6-12" (Rochester got 18"), but because of the cold and very low wind chills (Buffalo currently 4 degrees with a -15 WC) and the blowing snow conditions, her kids in their suburban Buffalo town had a rare closure today. So yes, it sometimes happens there too!

Old 01-03-2014, 11:23 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,364,162 times
[quote=7 Wishes;32855099]
Quote:

And another rep I wish I could've given (I gave Mike75 one for his original post though)

NBC only bought the Weather Channel recently, and when they first did they did do that and stopped when they realized no one else did. Weather Underground started to as well once they were bought by the Weather Channel, but it appears have since backed off as well when their core audience complained. I once read somewhere that the only 2 groups (before the Weather Channel) in the entire US that did it was WFSB and (despite my saying otherwise) the Buffalo/Rochester office of the National Weather Service, and then (in the case of the NWS) only for lake effect storms. The Weather Channel in their rationale did argue when it first came out that many European nations (particularly Germany) do name snowstorms.
Naming storms does make sense to me on a local level, but on a large scale it just doesn't make sense since these storms affect different areas in many different ways and on many different scales. With tropical storms they just name the low pressure system itself, which is at least a consistency. But you can't do that for winter storms, especially ones like this one, where there were multiple lows.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:33 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,174,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
By the way, since a few pages back people wondered about what they do in Buffalo, etc., they generally got 6-12" (Rochester got 18"), but because of the cold and very low wind chills (Buffalo currently 4 degrees with a -15 WC) and the blowing snow conditions, her kids in their suburban Buffalo town had a rare closure today. So yes, it sometimes happens there too!
Yep ..in-laws live in Buffalo and my brother..even for them this is oppressively cold.. snow was typical but the wind and cold make it so much more difficult. That wind is HOWLING out there right now. I feel like I live in the upper Midwest.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,695,233 times
Quote:
I agree with you on the typical snow, but other than the media hype machine, why are we making it sound like more should have been expected? it was a typical winter storm where the sweet spot happened to be Boston. However, this extreme cold IS unique and worth noting.

who said this would be a monster storm? Not ONCE did I ever see a forecast for more than 6-10 inches...ANYWHERE IN CT. State received from 4-10 inches...dead on except pockets in the southeast part and northwest where it was overdone.
not sure what you're getting all flustered about but there were at least a couple previous posts that implied heavy snow for CT (#265 and #189 for example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut