Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 03:14 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup... gonna come before the changeover. So Saturday 4-10pm. I say stay off the roads after 7pm? I think things got faster a bit.

Another tough shoveling choice. Shovel before the changeover so its not heavy and wet? or see if you get lucky and have the rain wash it away.?

Something tells me to shovel before the change
Shovel before the change...the faster timing will not allow the warm nose to settle in as far I don't think.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:33 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Hmmmm.

Did Upton say it might not change over for Northern Fairfield and Putnam County?

Quote:
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
433 PM EST FRI FEB 20 2015

.SHORT TERM /6 AM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY/...

PCPN BECOMES LIKELY SAT AFTN AS LOW PRESSURE HEADS TOWARDS THE
EASTERN GREAT LAKES ON SATURDAY AND PASSES NORTH SUNDAY MORNING.
PCPN TAPERS OFF ON SUNDAY AND A COLD FRONT PASSES THROUGH IN THE
AFTN.

BIG QUESTION IS PCPN TYPE AND HOW MUCH OF IT...AS THERMAL PROFILES
SUPPORT MIXED PCPN TYPES FOR MOST OF THE CWA FOR THIS EVENT. WARM
LAYER ALOFT FROM APPROX 975-925 MB WILL PUSH INTO THE CWA STARTING
SATURDAY EVENING AND POSSIBLY NEVER REACH THE FAR NW PORTION OF
THE CWA.

LOOKS LIKE A BIGGER INFLUENCE IN PCPN TYPE FOR MANY AREAS
WILL BE THE SURFACE TEMPERATURE AS THIS WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE
BETWEEN PLAIN RAIN AND FREEZING RAIN. WITH THE WARM NOSE RELATIVELY
LOW IN ELEVATION AND THE AIR BELOW IT NOT WELL-BELOW ZERO...

THINKING
IS THAT WHILE SLEET IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE...IT PROBABLY WON`T BE A
PRIMARY PCPN TYPE. ALTHOUGH THERE WILL BE NO CAD FROM A HIGH TO THE
NORTH...PROMOTING FREEZING RAIN WILL BE THE EXTENDED PERIOD OF VERY
COLD TEMPS PRECEDING THE EVENT AND EVEN SW WINDS MIGHT NOT DO MUCH
TO HELP SURFACE WARMING AS THEY WILL BE FAIRLY WEAK AND ARRIVING OFF
OF A SNOW PACK.

FREEZING RAIN COULD THEREFORE STILL OCCUR WITH 2M
TEMPS IN THE MID 30S.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:33 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Heres a wild thought.......because they extended it several years ago we turn our clocks ahead 2 weeks from tomorrow night.....so soon we'll be having daylight until 7pm but it will be cold with snow and ice cover.....

Old 02-20-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Heres a wild thought.......because they extended it several years ago we turn our clocks ahead 2 weeks from tomorrow night.....so soon we'll be having daylight until 7pm but it will be cold with snow and ice cover.....
Good point, another weird feeling and sight. Man that sun isn't doing much huh. Goodnight Mr Sun. Crazy to think we peaked and now heading towards a weaker sun.

NWS NY

The 1 degree observed at EWR and BDR were tied for lowest temps this late in season (from Feb 20 to end of winter)

Old 02-20-2015, 03:47 PM

Norfolk with 70 inches.
Staffordville with 82.

I only have 33.

https://twitter.com/Ants_SNEweather/...539201/photo/1

Old 02-20-2015, 03:49 PM

302 posts, read 295,567 times
Quote:
Norfolk with 70 inches.
Staffordville with 82.

I only have 33.

Seeing that chart makes me realize how lucky we are compared to a lot of MA. Wow!

Old 02-20-2015, 04:03 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times
Quote:
Norfolk with 70 inches.
Staffordville with 82.

I only have 33.

In all honesty, Central and western ct is not really that much above average this year. It's just brutally cold. If we got 2 more inches ofsnow at bdl we would come in right at average for the season if we don't get any more snow.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
In all honesty, Central and western ct is not really that much above average this year. It's just brutally cold. If we got 2 more inches ofsnow at bdl we would come in right at average for the season if we don't get any more snow.
That's "season total" but they are 16.6" above normal for the season to date. As of today.

National Weather Service Climate

BTW... Upton raised the totals for SWCT and Southern Westchester County NY to 4-6". Looks like we have a nice snowstorm on our hands. Too bad it will change over to something.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:10 PM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Native View Post
That's the thing. It's not an issue of specifically weather at that point, but science as a whole. Whether experimental observation or analysis is fraud or not, that's another issue. False conclusions, which have been made in meteorology and climatology in the past, as well as in many other scientific fields, will get pulled, reviewed, disproved, and invalidated. The "debate" of if global temperatures are rising or not, relative to what we have as observable records, is simply non-negotiable. When you have hundreds of well-rounded scientists from across the world, from multiple different scientific fields and departments -- whom are competing with each other on an experimental basis (we like to believe there's peace and harmony!) -- but who arrive at similar conclusions of warming surface temps/what ever it may be, that's a scientific phenomenon. And anyone can choose to believe it or to not for what ever reasons they have.

With regards to climate change/that huge mess, that's probably not appropriate to discuss on this thread. It's very much misunderstood, misrepresented, miscommunicated, hijacked. Just remember, climate is what you expect -- weather is what you get; chances are they're not going to be the same, and that's supported by the cold we've been going through lately. Our cold this winter doesn't prove whether our climate, or anyone's climate, is getting colder or warmer -- it just means that it's been below average and colder than usual. That fact alone doesn't imply anything being debated concerning climatology, because that's not what climate is.
Despite some skepticism on my part I agree with much of what articulately authored above. That said, the financial impetus of exaggerating the severity or the anthropologic causation is what trips me up. I absolutely believe in profound climate change just deviate on the genesis. I prefer sunspots, volcanoes over human nature. We've had ice ages and mass extinction many times in the history of this planet, and will continue to even if homo sapiens died out tomorrow. Let's just continue to be good stewards of the planet we dominate on a species level and not concoct arbitrary taxes to fund organizations that stymie growth and will likely horde the capital like most bureaucracies already do.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:23 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Norfolk with 70 inches.
Staffordville with 82.

I only have 33.

Hey. We won! We won! And Newburyport's streets still ARE NOT PLOWED. I sat and waited for a tow truck for 1 1/2 hours today because they were so busy. I was stuck in a "plowed" parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut