Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 07:53 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Bank of America is moving a portion of its crisis management function from NYC and they will takeover the massive trading floor RBS currently resides on (6th floor). RBS will move to some vacant space on the 10th floor. Ultimately the RBS building will be fully occupied. However, what's very concerning is the completely vacant UBS building....
UBS vacated their space a couple of years ago now, I think. Pretty sure that building sits empty now.and has for awhile. Yes very sad/ indeed for the area long term.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:06 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
UBS vacated their space a couple of years ago now, I think. Pretty sure that building sits empty now.and has for awhile. Yes very sad/ indeed for the area long term.
A major developer just bought the mortgage on the UBS building so it can finally be marketed for sale or lease free and clear. I am sure they are working hard to get it occupied. Hopefully it will not be long. Jay

Old 07-19-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
A major developer just bought the mortgage on the UBS building so it can finally be marketed for sale or lease free and clear. I am sure they are working hard to get it occupied. Hopefully it will not be long. Jay
This artiicle is not about UBS, but RBS. Two separate companies... one British, the other Swiss. UBS vacated their US headquarters in Stamford a few years ago, and it is no longer "news". The skeleton workforce remaining has been subletting space from RBS headquarters across the street. This article is about the latest round of RBS Stamford layoffs. It bled out 600 positions since 2015. Just the latest round of 23 this month, with more to come by year end, per the article. So no, **** ain't as bright and rosy as you always like to portray. In fact it kind of sucks in downtown right about now

Old 07-19-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
*for $100 million less. Believe it was a CA hedge fund

Old 07-19-2017, 10:05 PM

610 posts, read 532,982 times
Quote:
This artiicle is not about UBS, but RBS. Two separate companies... one British, the other Swiss. UBS vacated their US headquarters in Stamford a few years ago, and it is no longer "news". The skeleton workforce remaining has been subletting space from RBS headquarters across the street. This article is about the latest round of RBS Stamford layoffs. It bled out 600 positions since 2015. Just the latest round of 23 this month, with more to come by year end, per the article. So no, **** ain't as bright and rosy as you always like to portray. In fact it kind of sucks in downtown right about now
Driving by the UBS campus is a melancholy thing. It's really beautiful, spacious and with beautiful trees, it looks like a park. But the only sign of life is an occasional person walking from the train station to downtown or vice-versa. Hopefully the new owner will get some action going.

The RBS building, across the street, sees a lot of activity.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:35 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
It really depends I had $5 dr visit copays until 2003. Now $30. Generic prescription on my current plan is $5 Used to be $15 back in 2003.

I had a neighbor who worked for a property management company that gave him 100% paid medical no copays no premium nothing. He also got a healthy 401K match 30 vacation days a year and other crazy benefits. He managed to get himself fired thou.
Sounds like a great place to work. Let me know in a DM if they are hiring. I would bail out of my current job for those benefits.

To continue down memory lane when I had insurance at the hotel in 1993-1996 I only paid 10% of the premiums. Nearly every job I had since then has been 20% or 30%

Old 07-20-2017, 04:01 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Is that a question? It is just 23 employees being let go, not 2,300. Barely worth mentioning and certainly not worth a front page article. Jay
You do realize that 23 is just the latest in round after round of layoffs. Overall, you're looking at quite a few. And these are (were) high paying jobs.

Stop ignoring what's clear. It helps nothing.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:28 AM

504 posts, read 384,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
C'mon guys; you have to see that spending needs to be cut. The public unions should not have a contract that extends for 10 years, this is ridiculous. They see the writing on the wall that we will probably have a republican governor and at least a republican upper chamber next year and are looking to tie their hands. If this passes people with capital are going to flee the state. Take a stand against organized public labor for once, this is not fair to the tax payer.
Another year and half of a lame duck democratic governor and legislature....... I would say it's inevitable. The GOP will have a lot of damage to repair if they take over the governors office.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:04 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,798,777 times
Many people complain but do nothing constructive to help correct the situation. Businesses could come together and work with the state to address the problems beyond just saying reduce taxes and regulations. In the 70s and the 80s the companies in the area were much more involved in the communities where they were located. They understood the problems of the people who they employed and lived in the area. Infrastructure, healthcare, education, and environmental quality are all areas that need to be considered with all stake holders involved in the solution. Companies are not going to design new and maintain existing roads and highways. We have multiple insurance companies in the area but cannot come up with an affordable plan that can help resolve the healthcare costs problem of state workers as well as the general population? We have multiple colleges in the Hartford area but we cannot come up with a joint research center for high demand areas of growth in science and technology?

We cannot expect our part-time partisan elected officials to solve complex problems that many of them lack the knowledge and background to understand and find solutions. We need all stakeholders to jointly come together and seek out those with the knowledge and expertise to find workable solutions beyond simple idealogical ones such as either reduce taxes and regulations or tax the wealthy more with the hope that something trickles down to support necessary projects and services. We also need to honestly look at duplicity of services at the state level as well as admit that the massive amount of money spent for magnet and charter schools to address the Sheff versus O'Neill lawsuit is not a viable solution despite spending billions of dollars. No new money should be spent on this folly. Instead the stakeholders need to address root cause issues which deal with reducing poverty in urban areas.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:36 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,086 times
Quote:
They had been drawing down the number of employees for a few years but only vacated it in the second half of last year. They moved their employees across the street to the RBS building. The irony is that the so-called RBS building now has more UBS employees than RBS employees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut