Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 08:58 AM

570 posts, read 477,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I know a couple kids straight out of college and this happened to them. They had multiple offers. They took the first one they got but had they waited, there would have been others. Jay
Kids out of college making 50k are not buying houses in CT. The problem is experienced people 10+ years who need wages to maintain a home and raise a family. Those jobs are extremely hard to find right now in CT.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:08 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
David Stemerman Is hardly unbiased. This focuses on the negatives (some of which are really no longer valid) but fails to acknowledge any of the positives in our state. His failed campaign for Governor, like this opinion piece, was full of doom and gloom and “the sky is falling” rhetoric.

He notes that we rated low in a couple sectors in CNBC but fails to mention thatoverall we are No. 35. Not great but not bad when you consider what criteria (like taxes) CNBC weighs heaviest. Also Mr. Stemerman fails to acknowledge that we had a $700 million budget surplus this year or that our Rainy Day Fund is projected to exceed $2.6 billion. Lamont is proposing to steer much of that to address the pension issue.

More importantly, the major credit rating firms have upgraded Connecticut’s outlook to Positive which means they now believe we have sufficiently addressed our pension issues. He may not agree but his opinion means less than what the credit agencies say since we need to go to them for bonding. Jay

Old 07-16-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Kids out of college making 50k are not buying houses in CT. The problem is experienced people 10+ years who need wages to maintain a home and raise a family. Those jobs are extremely hard to find right now in CT.
Uhhh... actually these kids are making $50,000 a year coming out of college. The point is they had received multiple job offers. I am not sure it matters when they are ready to buy a home but they certainly will be ready to buy homes in a few years if they want to. Jay

Old 07-16-2019, 11:05 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Uhhh... actually these kids are making $50,000 a year coming out of college. The point is they had received multiple job offers. I am not sure it matters when they are ready to buy a home but they certainly will be ready to buy homes in a few years if they want to. Jay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NqTY4k_9m8

Old 07-16-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I love that commercial. It is so true and has been true for generations. Jay

Old 07-17-2019, 11:02 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
I love that commercial. It is so true and has been true for generations. Jay
You know all of the people on here that are so worried about the population of CT? Don't worry so much, it is all a big circle with NYC.

I was born and raised in Stamford where many New Yorkers move to. In fact when I go back to my old neighborhood everyone tells me there are mostly New Yorkers in the neighborhood now. My mom's relatives moved to Stamford/Darien from Brooklyn in the late 1800's and early 1900's......one big circle back then too. Right now many of the great grand children* of my relatives who moved out of Brooklyn into CT are in.....you guessed it Brooklyn (and Queens too).

Largest Cities in the US by population.
1 New York.......8,398,748
2 Los Angeles....3,990,456
3 Chicago..........2,705,994
4 Houston.........2,325,502
5 Phoenix..........1,660,272
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

*All unmarried and living with their friends in cramped apartments lol.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:44 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
David Stemerman Is hardly unbiased. This focuses on the negatives (some of which are really no longer valid) but fails to acknowledge any of the positives in our state. His failed campaign for Governor, like this opinion piece, was full of doom and gloom and “the sky is falling” rhetoric.

He notes that we rated low in a couple sectors in CNBC but fails to mention thatoverall we are No. 35. Not great but not bad when you consider what criteria (like taxes) CNBC weighs heaviest. Also Mr. Stemerman fails to acknowledge that we had a $700 million budget surplus this year or that our Rainy Day Fund is projected to exceed $2.6 billion. Lamont is proposing to steer much of that to address the pension issue.

More importantly, the major credit rating firms have upgraded Connecticut’s outlook to Positive which means they now believe we have sufficiently addressed our pension issues. He may not agree but his opinion means less than what the credit agencies say since we need to go to them for bonding. Jay

A quick correction. Credit agencies do not issue bonds. They only issue an opinion. That opinion influences the price of bond issues and the coupon rate. For example, if a Govt or business has a low(er) credit rating they will have to offer a higher coupon rate and/or sell at a discount to attract buyers.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
A quick correction. Credit agencies do not issue bonds. They only issue an opinion. That opinion influences the price of bond issues and the coupon rate. For example, if a Govt or business has a low(er) credit rating they will have to offer a higher coupon rate and/or sell at a discount to attract buyers.
Technically you are correct but the rating is VERY important to the bond rates we pay. A positive rating means we pay less, which is good. Jay

Old 07-18-2019, 08:05 AM

Interesting article on the state’s under funded PILOT program that reimburses cities for the amount of tax exempt properties in their borders. This article provides the amount of PILOT payments the state has underpaid in Hartford where 59% of the properties are tax exempt. No wonder the city struggles when the state underpays them by $376 million over the past seven years. Makes me feel better about the state taking over the city’s $500 million in debt. It’s a drop 8n the bucket compared to what the state owes them. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2019/07/18/solu...pilot-program/

Old 07-18-2019, 12:01 PM

So despite the fact that our state lost 1,400 jobs in June, our unemployment rate went down to 3.7%. We are still up 4,000 jobs for the past 12 months which is good. Still it would be better if we gained jobs. Jay

https://www.middletownpress.com/midd...t-14105481.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut