Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 08:41 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
They need 35 years to get the 70%, not 25, and they're on their own for health insurance, sorry no gold plates.
Where did I state anything about health insurance. I’m still waiting on the required rate of return to generate a 15x return over 30-35 years?generate ~15x of your highest pay/most recent CY comp.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:24 AM

282 posts, read 232,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
As strange as it may sound some private employers used to do this too. They just dropped it for the most part years ago. I had a relative downsized from a large financial institution during the recession. They gave him 2 years pay as severance and covered his medical costs until he was medicare eligible (about 2.5 years), they also counted those 2 years in his vesting service. I gather this was largely based on the rules in place when he started the job decades ago. I also know a couple who both started at GE when they graduated highschool. Thanks to the way there starting benefits were in the 1970's they both retired with very generous pensions in their 50's including medical care.

States are just way behind in adjusting to the markets.
Some private employers still do this for full-time employees. It's less expensive to give a severance and 5 years extra health care (til they're medicare eligible), than it is to keep them on the payroll with their regular pay, paid vacations/sick time/personal time where they don't work at all but get paid anyway, plus worker's comp insurance, various taxes that the employer is required to match, life insurance policies which ALWAYS cease as soon as the employee terminates employment, matching IRA contributions, etc. etc.

Not all companies operate with such big budgets but those that do, do better when they offer a decent termination package than keeping on employees they don't need. In addition, people who are going into jobs like that, are usually qualified with MBAs and other business-related degrees and certifications, or have the mental capacity to grow into them. They are the people needed to actually run the daily operations of the companies they work for. If you make the job's benefits amount to "hey it's a lot better than flipping burgers!" you'll end up with a lot of burger-flippers applying for the job. Waste of resources even considering them, and waste is exactly what they're trying to trim.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:42 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Early retirements for Connecticut state workers has not been offered for years now. I believe the last time it was offered was when Rowland was Governor maybe 15 years ago. The Republicans proposed offering it again in 2015 but it was shot down by the Democrats because of funding problems with the state's pension system. I doubt it will be offered again for a long time. Jay
No but they are still offering advanced vesting schedules to sweeten the pot for new hires. At least they have within the last few years.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:04 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Connecticut Trucking Corporation Named A Forbes Growth Champion - Hartford Courant

Old 10-16-2017, 10:56 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
1200 more jobs in CT

Restaurant giant announces 1,200 open jobs in Connecticut - Connecticut Post

Old 10-16-2017, 11:17 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
While locked out of the budget negotiations between the Democrats and Republicans, it appears Malloy has prepared a new budget proposal. Jay

Malloy counters with 'lean, no-frills, no-nonsense' budget | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 10-16-2017, 03:37 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,026 times
Quote:
While locked out of the budget negotiations between the Democrats and Republicans, it appears Malloy has prepared a new budget proposal. Jay

Malloy counters with 'lean, no-frills, no-nonsense' budget | HartfordBusiness.com
This appears an honest attempt at a budget. Major cuts to social services will hurt but I'm not sure we have many choices here.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:32 PM

845 posts, read 680,304 times
Quote:

Best thing to come out of Hartford this entire cycle. I hope it attracts enough support to pass. We need something as soon as possible, and Governor Malloy has handled this budget impasse with some of the best he's shown in his administration. I honestly deeply respect him for remaining committed to funding our pension obligations. My vote for governor may very will hinge on this alone.

The Republican's plan of getting further concessions was a very good one. But they should not have balanced the budget on cutting funding to the pension system right now. There's a middle ground with all these proposals somewhere.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:31 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Bridgeport/New Haven appear to be going forward with filing an application to be considered for Amazon's second corporate headquarters on their own. The state announced that they would submit applications for Hartford and Stamford leaving a number of other cities that wanted to be considered, out in the cold. The mayors of both cities said their applications were going in today, hoping to be the first application Amazon receives. Will see. Jay

Bridgeport, New Haven push on in pursuit of Amazon - Connecticut Post

Old 10-17-2017, 08:56 AM

570 posts, read 477,553 times
Damn, RBS lets go of 43 more people in Stamford. Probably more as consultants are not counted.

https://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/progsu...s/warn2017.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut