Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 07:14 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
NJ has a stronger Supply Chain Management pool (due to corps hvexpatinct mentioned), and that's what Amazon needs, that is not easy to find. SCM is at the core of what makes Amazon successful.

However, Southeast still measures much better on many factors, and if they pick Atlanta, Amazon could get SCM folks from Home Depot hq.
45% of Amazon employees at their headquarters are software engineer/computer science types. This isn't Walmart.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:03 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Scholar estimates up to 70,000 may relocate to state after Hurriance Maria

"Connecticut could see a huge population boom in its Puerto Rican enclaves in coming weeks as people flee the hurricane-ravaged U.S. island territory. "

Connecticut likely will see influx of students relocating from Puerto Rico following Hurricane Maria | FOX 61

Old 09-28-2017, 08:27 AM

845 posts, read 680,429 times
This makes school funding issues for our urban centres even more important. I know Waterbury will get a lot of people moving in. Hopefully this will help the city's economy. I know the Puerto Rican community there is very vibrant, but the schools I do not believe are ready to accept such a large influx.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
This makes school funding issues for our urban centres even more important. I know Waterbury will get a lot of people moving in. Hopefully this will help the city's economy. I know the Puerto Rican community there is very vibrant, but the schools I do not believe are ready to accept such a large influx.

I can see Bridgeport, New Haven, Hartford, Waterbury, New Britain, Meriden gain 4,000-8,000 more in population but I don't how it will work for schools.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:57 AM

Malloy vetoes budget now we back to square 1

Malloy vetoes GOP budget - Connecticut Post

Old 09-28-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Malloy vetoes budget now we back to square 1

Malloy vetoes GOP budget - Connecticut Post
Who saw this one coming?

Oh, right. The entire state.

I'm no big fan of the Republican budget. I personally think we should have included more revenue. At this point, I really hope Fasano and Klarides somehow get the votes to override it. I will get smashed (as will much of the state) with a supplemental tax bill if the cuts go into effect.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:15 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Who saw this one coming?

Oh, right. The entire state.

I'm no big fan of the Republican budget. I personally think we should have included more revenue. At this point, I really hope Fasano and Klarides somehow get the votes to override it. I will get smashed (as will much of the state) with a supplemental tax bill if the cuts go into effect.
I don't think that the Republicans have enough votes to override a veto. They just barely got this one through and the cuts it has in it are very unpopular with most people including their own voters. I see this as a step in the right direction though. I emailed Representative Klarides to encourage her and Fasano to stop the BS and work with the Democrats on a compromise budget. I felt the Republican budget was just wrong with many of the things they were doing. They were investing less in our cities at a time when they should be investing more. They were making massive cuts to UConn which is one of the places we should be investing. They want to cut funding of the XL Center which will basically mean the place will rot and die a slow death from neglect. With so much going on in Hartford now, it is time to build on that, not destroy it. It seems like a very short-sighted budget to me. Hopefully they can work something out. Jay

Old 09-28-2017, 11:35 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don't think that the Republicans have enough votes to override a veto. They just barely got this one through and the cuts it has in it are very unpopular with most people including their own voters. I see this as a step in the right direction though. I emailed Representative Klarides to encourage her and Fasano to stop the BS and work with the Democrats on a compromise budget. I felt the Republican budget was just wrong with many of the things they were doing. They were investing less in our cities at a time when they should be investing more. They were making massive cuts to UConn which is one of the places we should be investing. They want to cut funding of the XL Center which will basically mean the place will rot and die a slow death from neglect. With so much going on in Hartford now, it is time to build on that, not destroy it. It seems like a very short-sighted budget to me. Hopefully they can work something out. Jay
They don't, just as the Dems don't have enough to pass a budget. The Dems budget wasn't terrible on its own, but in the context of the past budgets and tax increases it was a nonstarter. Approving the SEBAC deal before the budget was just dumb, although not surprising considering Malloy was running the show. It looks like its going to be awhile.

The silver lining in this budget cloud is that Hartford will most likely have to file for bankruptcy. First step in getting the city back on its feet and (perhaps) a catalyst for more regionalization in Hartford county.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
They don't, just as the Dems don't have enough to pass a budget. The Dems budget wasn't terrible on its own, but in the context of the past budgets and tax increases it was a nonstarter. Approving the SEBAC deal before the budget was just dumb, although not surprising considering Malloy was running the show. It looks like its going to be awhile.

The silver lining in this budget cloud is that Hartford will most likely have to file for bankruptcy. First step in getting the city back on its feet and (perhaps) a catalyst for more regionalization in Hartford county.
In a perfect world, Fire, Police, and Education would be something funded on a county level. Let the towns do everything else. This would lower mill rates. Let counties levy property and income taxes to pay for everything they need to. In general, the overall tax burden should be lower. In practice, they'd find a way to spend more money and it would just be a tax increase.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:26 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
In a perfect world, Fire, Police, and Education would be something funded on a county level. Let the towns do everything else. This would lower mill rates. Let counties levy property and income taxes to pay for everything they need to. In general, the overall tax burden should be lower. In practice, they'd find a way to spend more money and it would just be a tax increase.
I am sorry but adding another layer of government is NEVER a good idea. This state is small enough that it does not need counties. Plus with regional governments you lose accountability. I do not want some bureaucrat in Hartford making decisions on my town. It just does not work well. Never has, never will. Saving money is not everything, nor should it be. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut