Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 09:45 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times

Advertisements

Has anyone considered that Amazon's requests could be a squeeze play to get more out of Seattle and/or Washington. Boeing did something very similar, but i don't remember the outcome.

Very few cities if any can meet all of Amazon's criteria.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:17 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Amazon's request is a play for more media coverage (we are all talking about it) and extra tax incentives from short list cities.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:40 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
I enjoy all of the posters on here immensely. Just if you listen to close, Connecticut has no problems, the budget is fine, and we are a nationwide leader in education, growth, and stability. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'll eat my hat if Connecticut even makes Amazon's HQ2 shortlist.
There are TWO Connecticut's.

#1 is the area from Greenwich to New Haven (and I think Danbury too) that is a part of the NYC Metropolitan area.
#2 is everything else.

The reason Governor Cuomo is doing a good job is he understands there are two economies to NY state. The politicians up in Hartford just don't get that.

The NYC metropolitan area that has the biggest economy (which includes part of CT) in the US would have a chance of getting Amazon 2, don't you think? My town of Trumbull (part of the NYC metro area) has been adding companies.

I do agree Hartford needs a big change and I think that will come next November. Those Hartford politicians are doing a big disservice to the part of CT that is not part of the NYC metro area.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:22 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Has anyone considered that Amazon's requests could be a squeeze play to get more out of Seattle and/or Washington. Boeing did something very similar, but i don't remember the outcome.

Very few cities if any can meet all of Amazon's criteria.
Boeing moved to Chicago.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:24 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
Yep a snowballs hell in chance............... Amazing how many people live in bubble on this forum.
I tend to agre. As I said I think the only reason to pick CT was if the force some kind of deal that allows them to reshape an entire city in their image which would mean places like Rochester and Hartford are in play. Other then that no way.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:57 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
Yep a snowballs hell in chance............... Amazing how many people live in bubble on this forum.
What amazes me is how some people are ALWAYS such naysayers.

Sorry but most posters here do not live "in a bubble". They are well educated and informed and despite what you think, Connecticut is a great state that would serve Amazon well. That is why they have already chosen it for major facilities already. Those could have easily been built in Massachusetts, Rhode Island or New York but they chose Connecticut. And before you say it, don't dismiss this since these are major fulfillment centers. The type of facility and the jobs it brings are just as important to our economy as those high tech jobs that everyone seems so enamored with these days.

EVERY state has its good points and its bad. A lot will depend on what Amazon places the most emphasis on. Here they would not be competing with thousands of other companies for attention. Our quality of life is very high and our location between Boston and New York is unique and desirable. That said I am certain they will be getting hundreds if not thousands of responses. Who knows where this will go but at this point no one can certainly rule Connecticut out. Jay

Old 09-22-2017, 01:44 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Boeing moved to Chicago.
I am not talking about the HQ. Boeing was looking to move manufacturing for their 777x. They put together a proposal sheet that looked very similar to the one Amazon just put out.

This is one story that covered it.

Rick Haglund: Boeing looking to move manufacturing? Michigan shouldn't throw down the welcome mat | MLive.com

Boeing was basically upset with the machinists unions for rejecting [Boeing's] contract. Despite this nugget.

"The state of Washington already has approved giving Boeing a mind-boggling $8.7 billion in incentives to retain the 777x jobs"

I guess they really hate unions.

This article has more details including what they want(ed)

What Boeing wants: A look at the 777X request for proposals | Business | stltoday.com

Old 09-22-2017, 02:57 PM

I can't remember where the article is but I seem to remember Amazon was looking for a like minded area as Seattle Washington. This article says Washington is the most liberal state in the nation.

"Alabama is the most Republican, and Washington the most Democratic state, according to new rankings from The Hill". (article is from 2014, I doubt it has changed)
How red or blue is your state? | TheHill

I am pretty sure Bezos is pretty liberal too. Why is it so hard to believe that Bezos might want to put his company in another liberal state/area. You know they are not going to put it on the west coast. NYC/CT is the most liberal area on the east coast.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos on Trump’s immigration ban: ‘We’re a nation of immigrants’
https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...ion-immigrants

Guess who was the only Governor to stand up to Trump on the immigration Ban and said the same thing. Our Governor Malloy got the John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award for his stance against the Muslim ban. I bet Bezos liked that. Bezos can ping pong back and forth between the two of the most liberal areas in America.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:01 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What amazes me is how some people are ALWAYS such naysayers.

Sorry but most posters here do not live "in a bubble". They are well educated and informed and despite what you think, Connecticut is a great state that would serve Amazon well. That is why they have already chosen it for major facilities already. Those could have easily been built in Massachusetts, Rhode Island or New York but they chose Connecticut. And before you say it, don't dismiss this since these are major fulfillment centers. The type of facility and the jobs it brings are just as important to our economy as those high tech jobs that everyone seems so enamored with these days.
Jay: I think you know -- Amazon HQ will require a very different labor force and skillset than a Regional Distr Center.

Supply chain modeling, SC analysts, partner selection and managament, product development -- all interwoven in a very techy way, IT architecture people too. Before we even get to the back-office functions such as IT, Accounting, Marketing, complaince, etc. etc.

CT just lost two major fish. It's hard for CT to make the case. Besides, Amazon can get a much bigger pool of candidates in Dallas for example. From a competitive advantage -- CT just isn't there.

I could absolutely see CT for major financial firms. If State's fiscal matters were on the upswing, not spiraling down.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post

Supply chain modeling, SC analysts, partner selection and managament, product development -- all interwoven in a very techy way, IT architecture people too. Before we even get to the back-office functions such as IT, Accounting, Marketing, complaince, etc. etc.
One word for the above.....Stamford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut