Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 05:34 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Jay: I think you know -- Amazon HQ will require a very different labor force and skillset than a Regional Distr Center.

Supply chain modeling, SC analysts, partner selection and managament, product development -- all interwoven in a very techy way, IT architecture people too. Before we even get to the back-office functions such as IT, Accounting, Marketing, complaince, etc. etc.

CT just lost two major fish. It's hard for CT to make the case. Besides, Amazon can get a much bigger pool of candidates in Dallas for example. From a competitive advantage -- CT just isn't there.

I could absolutely see CT for major financial firms. If State's fiscal matters were on the upswing, not spiraling down.
Amen. Most states have an Amazon DC.

This is not A league baseball, nor Independent League Bluefish. This is the World Series of MLB.

1,000 offers for Amazon already.

If Ct makes round 2, that would be great. Most likely this will be 4-5 rounds.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:19 AM

413 posts, read 317,567 times
Work force will NOT be a problem for Amazon regardless of location. That will not be the driver in their decision.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:10 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
Work force will NOT be a problem for Amazon regardless of location. That will not be the driver in their decision.
It depends on what kind of talent they're trying to recruit. If you look at the problems Walmart is having shifting from brick & mortar to an internet company from Bentonville, Arkansas, the level of talent they can attract kind of has to have something to do with it. It must be pretty tough to convince someone from a top-5 university to locate there when they have competitive offers elsewhere.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:50 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
It was a major factor for Aetna and GE to leave CT, which was after the same kind of workforce -- a large pool of educated white-collar doing brainy things.

One went to Boston, the other to NYC -- idea is pretty clear -- they need much bigger ponds to catch their fish.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:04 AM

504 posts, read 384,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What amazes me is how some people are ALWAYS such naysayers.
So being realistic is also being a naysayer? I would love to see this happen in CT, but current political and economic conditions just simply don't warrant it. Got to get out of your bubble once in awhile jay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
I enjoy all of the posters on here immensely. Just if you listen to close, Connecticut has no problems, the budget is fine, and we are a nationwide leader in education, growth, and stability. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'll eat my hat if Connecticut even makes Amazon's HQ2 shortlist.
Yep!!! You get labeled a naysayer for looking at things realistically. I'm hoping the next election cycle yields candidates that will help grow the state again. The current crop have been destructive economically.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:11 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
So being realistic is also being a naysayer? I would love to see this happen CT, but current political and economic conditions just simply don't warrant it. Got to get out of your bubble once in awhile jay.

Yep!!! You get labeled a naysayer for looking at things realistically. I'm hoping the next election cycle yields candidates that will help grow the state again. The current crop have been destructive economically.
Agreed.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:47 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Connecticut Looks to Avoid Becoming The Illinois of The Northeast And Wisconsin Continues Reforming

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrick.../#79da66211c05

Old 09-24-2017, 06:59 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Connecticut Looks to Avoid Becoming The Illinois of The Northeast And Wisconsin Continues Reforming

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrick.../#79da66211c05
You should research who is writing these articles. Patrick Gleason's bio

"I am director of state affairs at Americans for Tax Reform, a Washington-based advocacy and policy research organization founded by Grover Norquist in 1985 at the request of President Ronald Reagan. My writing and commentary have been published in The Economist, Reuters, Politico, and the Wall Street Journal, among others. I cover the intersection of state & federal policy and politics."

This info is on the very page you linked to.

I would not hold up Wisconsin as some state the has policies to be emulated. First off, while that article is bragging about increasing spending on schools in Wisconsin, they forgot to say they [WI] cut over $300 million from the university system while at the same time gave $300 million to an NBA team.
Funny how the author failed to mention that.

These Grover Norquist trolls need to stay under their bridges.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:36 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
You should research who is writing these articles. Patrick Gleason's bio

"I am director of state affairs at Americans for Tax Reform, a Washington-based advocacy and policy research organization founded by Grover Norquist in 1985 at the request of President Ronald Reagan. My writing and commentary have been published in The Economist, Reuters, Politico, and the Wall Street Journal, among others. I cover the intersection of state & federal policy and politics."

This info is on the very page you linked to.

I would not hold up Wisconsin as some state the has policies to be emulated. First off, while that article is bragging about increasing spending on schools in Wisconsin, they forgot to say they [WI] cut over $300 million from the university system while at the same time gave $300 million to an NBA team.
Funny how the author failed to mention that.

These Grover Norquist trolls need to stay under their bridges.
Why? Because thought police says so? And only Huffington Post opinion need only apply?

Old 09-25-2017, 06:44 AM

845 posts, read 680,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Why? Because thought police says so? And only Huffington Post opinion need only apply?
No, because Connecticut should not emulate either Illinois nor Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut