Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 11:57 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,310,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
So definitely CT economy is in the tanks. Any ideas how it can be fixed up without raising taxes on its resident.
-Legalize marijuana and tax it like crazy. It should generate $100 million dollars in revenue every year.
-Add tolls on Interstate 84 in Union and Newtown, Interstate 91 in Enfield, and Interstate 95 in Stonington and Darien. Out of state residents pay $2, trucks pay $3, and in state residents are exempt.
-Elimate business entity tax.
-Cut legislators pay from 5% to 10% and elimate some of their benefits.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:11 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
So definitely CT economy is in the tanks. Any ideas how it can be fixed up without raising taxes on its resident.
I do not agree that our economy is "in the tanks". The unemployment rate is down which means overall people are working. To me that does not mean it is that bad. Jay

Old 04-05-2016, 12:23 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Are we seriously comparing Connecticut to Detroit?
This is how delusional some of the posters here are. Connecticut continues to remain the top state when it comes to per capita income, Human Development, and among the top when looking at quality of education. Yes, we have our issues and I certainly have a love/hate relationship with the state but, having lived in two other states nationally considered desirable places to live, I've come to realize we have it pretty good here - if you can afford it.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:28 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
CT has dwindled in manufacturing job's and goverment contract jobs. CT focuses it's economy on insurance companies for jobs and the rich in the state. CT continues to cut its own state labor force, many individuals have difficulty finding work in public serice fields (due to CT retiring here is too costly they stay on to reap the most benefits preventing a changing cycle for new blood), hospital's/healthcare facilities are understaffed. Many need to travel am hour to two hours to find work in the state or out of the state. CT continues to grow with low wage minimum wage job's like fast food, restaurants, and grocery jobs. The middle class on CT is being absorbed into a low poverty class of income. The Rich expand in CT.

Backbone of work in CT is mainly insurance job's and tech job's mostly done at home.

Most state work force is flooded with minimum wage jobs.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:28 PM

503 posts, read 530,259 times
Quote:
The middle class in the United States is being absorbed into a low poverty class of income. The Rich expand in the United States.
I fixed that for you. If it were a local problem, your man Bernie wouldn't be running a successful NATIONAL campaign based on this theme.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:31 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,173 times
If I didn't know everyone in this thread lived in the same state I would think you guys were debating about 2 completely different places. It seems to me like the majority of people here who love CT are in Fairfield County - true? I don't mean that in a bad way but the polarized opinions here seem to fall along those lines. That does add some color to the love/hate CT debate... If you can afford to be there without struggling day to day, your QOL is probably very high and you understandably don't see why it's all doom and gloom for others. Fairfield has excellent services, housing stock, proximity to entertainment, employment, etc.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
If I didn't know everyone in this thread lived in the same state I would think you guys were debating about 2 completely different places. It seems to me like the majority of people here who love CT are in Fairfield County - true? I don't mean that in a bad way but the polarized opinions here seem to fall along those lines. That does add some color to the love/hate CT debate... If you can afford to be there without struggling day to day, your QOL is probably very high and you understandably don't see why it's all doom and gloom for others. Fairfield has excellent services, housing stock, proximity to entertainment, employment, etc.
I'm in Hartford County and the only major thing I don't like about the area is cold winter weather. I don't think we are too far behind FFC in any of the metrics you've listed. As in FFC, if you have the money to live in our most desirable suburbs, your QOL is topping the charts. But more than anything when I think about FFC, nightmarish traffic congestion comes to mind. You couldn't pay me enough to participate in that.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I've lived in both Fairfield and New Haven counties, both of which are fairly similar (metro north, coastal, urbanized, largely NYC centric, etc). I'm now in northern Fairfield County. I know there are others on this board who live up near Hartford who also like the state. That said, you're right that upstate counties are fairly different than "downstate" areas. There are naysayers on this forum from all over the state, though. Most of them are Republican (I think) and disgusted with the politics here, and rightfully so. That's what seems to be fueling their anti-CT posts. I, myself, am not thrilled with the uber-liberal politics here, but I'm also exhausted with their tirades.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
I'm in Hartford County and the only major thing I don't like about the area is cold winter weather. I don't think we are too far behind FFC in any of the metrics you've listed. As in FFC, if you have the money to live in our most desirable suburbs, your QOL is topping the charts. But more than anything when I think about FFC, nightmarish traffic congestion comes to mind. You couldn't pay me enough to participate in that.
In most inland Fairfield County towns, traffic is a non-issue. My commute to work is probably quieter than if I were to travel in any of the inner ring Hartford suburbs. The vast majority of Fairfield County residents don't "participate in that" either.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
In most inland Fairfield County towns, traffic is a non-issue. My commute to work is probably quieter than if I were to travel in any of the inner ring Hartford suburbs. The vast majority of Fairfield County residents don't "participate in that" either.
The quiet inland Fairfield County towns with little traffic are not employment centers. I'm not doubting your personal experience, but I'm highly skeptical of any claim that a majority of FFC residents do not experience prohibitive traffic congestion on their daily commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut