Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 09:37 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Absolutely not. Even my mother thinks it's absurd. She acknowledges that artificially inflating her worth overnight will only expedite her competing with automated systems. Empathy for what? A group of people who have done nothing with themselves for generations? It's laughable, not deserving of empathy.

I don't know if I'll ever make it into the millionaire club (other than retirement portfolio, perhaps), so I'll go where life is millionaire-esque in the hundreds of thousands range.
It's all about effort, unless you have to pay people for it. Got ya. The minimum wage, adjusted for growth, has never been lower. At what point is that a problem? At what point do hotel maids and dishwashers deserve a raise? These people are putting in effort too.

I guess when people don't have skills, we should throw them in a dumpster?

Not everyone can go to college for training...

Old 04-03-2016, 09:39 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Then why do you use Moyniahan's words to attack gay parents? ...

I used DM's words as his point on intact functional nuclear families is spot on. We both know your community outperforms Bridgeport, New Haven, & Hartford in education, and those cities spend far > than US average. That disproves the value of $$$$$$ in this equation.

I also saw why my town in Tn had great results, same as in all states. It starts with functional families who value education. We did not spend more per pupil than many communities we outperformed.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:43 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,189 times
Quote:
It's all about effort, unless you have to pay people for it. Got ya. The minimum wage, adjusted for growth, has never been lower. At what point is that a problem? At what point do hotel maids and dishwashers deserve a raise? These people are putting in effort too.

I guess when people don't have skills, we should throw them in a dumpster?

Not everyone can go to college for training...
If you can't translate your effort into opportunity and financial security, that's YOUR problem, not societies. Your "everyone gets a trophy" mentality toward the workforce is unsustainable and artificial. Minimum wage hikes to adjust for inflation is one thing, doubling minimum wage is another. And people should get raises based on their value to the company, not because the government said so. If you're a dishwasher and haven't cross trained yourself to be anymore valuable then, i guess you could say it's justifiable to not give a raise, certainly not a large one.

No one is getting thrown in the dumpster. At some point, grown a** men and women need to be accountable fo their own actions. period. Also not even sure what this has to do with this thread at this point.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
It's all about effort, unless you have to pay people for it. Got ya. The minimum wage, adjusted for growth, has never been lower. At what point is that a problem? ...
The minimum wage is a training wage, just about everyone worked for at 17. But 99% of Americans knew bagging groceries was not a lifelong career. They moved on.

Effort includes acquiring the education and training to move past low skill jobs.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Your "everyone gets a trophy" mentality toward the workforce is unsustainable and artificial. Minimum wage hikes to adjust for inflation is one thing, doubling minimum wage is another. And people should get raises based on their value to the company, not because the government said so. If you're a dishwasher and haven't cross trained yourself to be anymore valuable then, i guess you could say it's justifiable to not give a raise, certainly not a large one.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The minimum wage is a training wage, just about everyone worked for at 17. But 99% of Americans knew bagging groceries was not a lifelong career. They moved on.

Effort includes acquiring the education and training to move past low skill jobs.
The average fast food worker in the US is 29. I can't find anything about "training wages" here: https://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/wgwkst...uide/index.htm

Can you support this argument-- Everything I've read about minimum wage is about providing a level of financial security for all who work. Not about training.

If you propose a training wage, it doesn't mean the minimum should not be adjusted for inflation for those who are no longer training.

Not everyone is in a position to acquire additional training. That costs money. A previous poster said his mother worked 3-4 jobs. When was she supposed to train?

No empathy.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
The average fast food worker in the US is 29..
which is not applicable to the low skills the job requires. Minimum skills merit minimum wages, and i also see no issue with occasional increases in it of 1.5-2.5% annually consistent with overall changes in US wages.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
If you can't translate your effort into opportunity and financial security, that's YOUR problem, not societies. Your "everyone gets a trophy" mentality toward the workforce is unsustainable and artificial. Minimum wage hikes to adjust for inflation is one thing, doubling minimum wage is another. And people should get raises based on their value to the company, not because the government said so. If you're a dishwasher and haven't cross trained yourself to be anymore valuable then, i guess you could say it's justifiable to not give a raise, certainly not a large one.

No one is getting thrown in the dumpster. At some point, grown a** men and women need to be accountable fo their own actions. period. Also not even sure what this has to do with this thread at this point.
I'd think that poverty is a societal problem. If minimum wage had been adjusted for inflation, it would be MORE than double what it is now...

I'd love to see how dishwashers or hotel maids "cross-train" themselves. Why didn't your mother "cross-train" herself so she could work just one or two jobs?

It's different when it's YOUR family, right?

Old 04-03-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
. At some point, grown a** men and women need to be accountable fo their own actions. period. Also not even sure what this has to do with this thread at this point.
Amen.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:55 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,189 times
Quote:
The average fast food worker in the US is 29. I can't find anything about "training wages" here: https://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/wgwkst...uide/index.htm

Can you support this argument-- Everything I've read about minimum wage is about providing a level of financial security for all who work. Not about training.

If you propose a training wage, it doesn't mean the minimum should not be adjusted for inflation for those who are no longer training.

Not everyone is in a position to acquire additional training. That costs money. A previous poster said his mother worked 3-4 jobs. When was she supposed to train?

No empathy.
How do you not get it? She didn't need to beg with her hand out like a shameless mooch. She doesn't complain about how she "never had time to train" because she came to terms with the fact that she needed to do what was necessary to raise a child. Maybe she should have quite 2 of her jobs, donned an old tie-dye sun dress and occupied wall street instead? If half the "takers" spent as much time working as they did female dogging, maybe they would be better off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut