Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 11:22 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
CT needs to file for bankruptcy

Default on the debt, the pensions and everything

Otherwise we will go insolvent, because we can never pay back our obligations, our pension plan is only 50% funded. There is no way to ever pay this
Defaulting on debt did wonders for Cleveland

Old 10-13-2015, 01:01 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
CT needs to file for bankruptcy

Default on the debt, the pensions and everything

Otherwise we will go insolvent, because we can never pay back our obligations, our pension plan is only 50% funded. There is no way to ever pay this
Other perspectives.

CT News Junkie | Policymakers Will Have To Make Choices In Future About Unfunded Pension Liability

Of course running out on our obligations is the truly conservative thing to do, right?

Old 10-13-2015, 02:22 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
States can't file for bankruptcy. So its not an option unless the law is changed. So there are a few options - 1. divert spending from other areas of the budget to fund pensions, 2. raise taxes to cover the pension funding, 3. lay off state workers, 4. negotiate concessions with the state employee unions. The reality is probably a bit of all 4 are necessary, although 1 and 2 will not go over well with the population at large and 3 and 4 will not go over well with state employees. My guess is its more 3 and 4 and less 1 and 2 in light of the response to the latest budget and the recent cuts proposed by Malloy. I don't think there is much sympathy for state employees in the electorate.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:37 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Looks like construction is about to begin on the new technology park at UConn. Will be interesting to see how it does. Jay

UConn breaking ground on $183.5M tech park | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 10-13-2015, 04:32 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Looks like construction is about to begin on the new technology park at UConn. Will be interesting to see how it does. Jay

UConn breaking ground on $183.5M tech park | HartfordBusiness.com
Why did they decide to build this in the middle of nowhere on the Storrs campus?

I know they're hoping for this facility to produce more SciFi-ish next generation type research, and therefore grant funded, tenured academic professors will be an integral component to it's success; but wouldn't it be easier to attract the industry talent (who don't already live here) and future companies if it were somewhere more desirable?

I'm no fan of New Haven, but many (at least small) tech companies + Yale are located there and it is home to many of central CTs best restaurants and nightlife so would make a much better location to lure companies (and individual talent) from elsewhere.

NH is also much closer to the ferry and NYC, providing easier collaboration for scientists with Stony Brook, Brookhaven National Laboratories (has particle accelerator), Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, NY Genome Center, NYU (yucky hipster liberals), Columbia, Mount Sinai, + still commutable to Boston area and I'm sure I left out dozens of other high profile labs, universities and institutions that are in NY. Storrs was a poor choice of location in my meaningless, unsubstantiated personal opinion.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 10-13-2015 at 05:36 PM..

Old 10-13-2015, 05:20 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Other perspectives.

CT News Junkie | Policymakers Will Have To Make Choices In Future About Unfunded Pension Liability

Of course running out on our obligations is the truly conservative thing to do, right?
Nothing wrong with Bankruptcy Reorganization.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:35 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Nothing wrong with Bankruptcy Reorganization.
Ask any pre-2009 GM shareholder how they felt about bankruptcy reorganization.

It was one of those cases where the shareholders got the shaft while the rank & file employees stayed on while keeping many benefits.

This isn't my forte but I image there are some legal protections for state employees that prevent the state from simply trying to press restart without paying out on pensions or benefits.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:02 AM

453 posts, read 530,795 times
Anyone surprised?

Governor's disapproval rating the highest it's ever been - WFSB 3 Connecticut

58% overall disapproval, with 33% of Democrats disapproving.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:32 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
I'm a bit surprised that its that low, considering how overwhelmingly Democratic the state is. To be fair, I wonder what the approval rating of the state legislature is. IMO, they are an order of magnitude worse than the Governor.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:52 AM

453 posts, read 530,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I'm a bit surprised that its that low, considering how overwhelmingly Democratic the state is. To be fair, I wonder what the approval rating of the state legislature is. IMO, they are an order of magnitude worse than the Governor.
Someone made a good point about how these poll numbers do not even count people who've left the state already. The Courant article also states the below:

Quote:
A total of 75 percent of voters say Connecticut's economy is "not so good" or "poor," and only 10 percent say it is getting better. Another 41 percent say it is getting worse and 48 percent say it is the same, according to the poll.
I have to agree with this as Hartford's insurance presence continues to dwindle. Again, FFC and most of New Haven County are doing fine - Hartford not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut