Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2015, 01:51 PM

174 posts, read 172,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Nedsage, while you are clearly right about the income difference, what my original post stated was that you can find a decent quality of life in many of the suburbs of Atlanta. I don't personally feel you have to have a HH income comparable to Westport or Darien to enjoy a good quality of life- which for me equals access to good schools, quality healthcare and a wide range of recreational activities. The areas I mentioned meet all of those criteria.
I don't disagree, however the poster asked for comparable, affluent suburbs to Darien and Westport. A side by side comparison shows they are not statistically very comparable. I'm not claiming a poor quality of life in the ATL suburbs (or even a mediocre quality of life), but apples should be compared to apples. Taking quick look at statistics, side by side comparison to your ATL suburbs (school quality and income) would probably be something along the lines of Milford in CT.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:11 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Nedsage, while you are clearly right about the income difference, what my original post stated was that you can find a decent quality of life in many of the suburbs of Atlanta. I don't personally feel you have to have a HH income comparable to Westport or Darien to enjoy a good quality of life- which for me equals access to good schools, quality healthcare and a wide range of recreational activities. The areas I mentioned meet all of those criteria.

, execs could not care less about public school quality as their kids will attend private schools in the Atlanta metro region. Unless DM offers them enough incentive to allow Ct as PRESENT home of GE, to maximize shareholder value.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:53 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Connecticut State Senator on General Electric: "They're Leaving" | WNPR News

At least a few CT senators are working to fix this state. We need more people like this guy.
Again, this is pure speculation. This guy is a Republican with a political agenda so I would place some doubt in what he says. We can only wait for the formal announcement. Jay

Old 10-05-2015, 07:48 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Again, this is pure speculation. This guy is a Republican with a political agenda so I would place some doubt in what he says. We can only wait for the formal announcement. Jay
This is interesting. Over the weekend a very large activist (aka wants board seats) investment company purchased $2.5b in stock becoming a very large player in the GE game. https://www.trianpartners.com/conten...ss-Release.pdf

If you read Trian's White Pages on GE they are focused on a bunch of stuff, but the one that stands out is increase shareholder price BY reducing costs.

Between the selling of GE Capital (based in CT) and getting some major investors involved, GE is looking to re-shape it's self and CT might not be in the cards.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:03 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
This is interesting. Over the weekend a very large activist (aka wants board seats) investment company purchased $2.5b in stock becoming a very large player in the GE game. https://www.trianpartners.com/conten...ss-Release.pdf

If you read Trian's White Pages on GE they are focused on a bunch of stuff, but the one that stands out is increase shareholder price BY reducing costs.

Between the selling of GE Capital (based in CT) and getting some major investors involved, GE is looking to re-shape it's self and CT might not be in the cards.
GE has been talking about getting back to it's core business and shedding other lines for a long time now. I would expect to see continued focus on large manufacturing as other, less profitable parts of the business continue to be sold off.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:46 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:

'

Great to see.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:47 AM

This has been discussed on here many times, but now maybe the CT Government will wake up and make CT State Employees share the sacrifice. $1.4b to $2.5b can be saved ANNUAL if they switch state workers from pensions to 401(k) type of savings. CT News Junkie | Study: State Worker Benefits Are 25-46 Percent Above Private Sector in Connecticut

While the average State worker earn a very small percent less than private sector counterparts,their benefits are 26 to 45 percent higher.

I took a look at CTSUNLIGHT.ORG this morning and they now show benefits and salary for the earn.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:04 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
I would take that report with a grain of salt considering who its coming from (Yankee Institute and AEI). But the defined benefit plans have to go. As does the medical insurance for life, which I think vests after 10 years of employment.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
GE has been talking about getting back to it's core business and shedding other lines for a long time now. I would expect to see continued focus on large manufacturing as other, less profitable parts of the business continue to be sold off.
GE actually started a "new" energy business yesterday called Current. General Electric (GE) Announces New Energy Company: Current

Location of Headquarters...Boston, MA. Why not CT? They are creating around 200+ jobs. Wonder if Malloy new about this?

Old 10-08-2015, 09:55 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
GE actually started a "new" energy business yesterday called Current. General Electric (GE) Announces New Energy Company: Current

Location of Headquarters...Boston, MA. Why not CT? They are creating around 200+ jobs. Wonder if Malloy new about this?
Boston? I thought it was all about taxes? Low cost of living? Corporate Tax Rates? Cheap energy? We need to become Somalia to be competitive!

Boston doesn't have any of these things.

I'm confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut