Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2021, 07:51 AM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbymeman View Post
Yeah a bit of luck with the lockdowns in NYC. But that's what CT survives on, people fleeing from the city when things go south. Not really a healthy way to run a state. Eventually those people who fled will have kids who grow up and desperately want to leave CT. And the city will be right there and it is the same old story again.
Go look at my previous post before this one. There are always new wealthy moving into the state of CT for generations. Example: my moms family moved to CT in the late 1800's from Brooklyn and many of them did end up as millionaires. When a lot of immigrants come to this country they do end up in this area because we are friendly to people of all races unlike in other parts of the country. It's take great courage to leave your homeland for a different place. That courage IMO translates into economic output for generations here. The main place where immigrants come in is still NYC. I want you to see something visually. There is no other place that has this tremendous economic output generation after generation after generation. My grandfather came here from Italy and opened a business in Stamford as did my moms grandparents. My dad 1st generation born in the US also started a business. Now his kids who are completely Americanized don't have 1% of the drive our grandfather and dad had.

As long as the south has all those people who frankly are not friendly to minorities they can lower the taxes all they want but ultimately I believe that most of the immigrants who come here with courage and dreams will keep coming to NYC. The lifeblood of this country is in it's immigrants and no one welcomes immigrants like NYC.
Economic Climate in CT-nycincome.jpg

Doesn't it blow your mind that this tiny geographical area of NYC has the same economic out put of Canada? It's mind blowing.

Quote:

I don't know why CT doesn't even attempt to revamp itself and revitalize the cities. There is so much great historical architecture that is sitting there wasted in the dumpy, trashy towns and cities - just miserable places that are some of the worst in the country. .
I agree 100%.

I even made a post (I think in another topic) that said the same exact thing. I think New Haven really could be a world class city and we should start with turning that around. CT is such a small state I think there are really three city/area we need to concentrate on and one of them knows how to help itself which is 1) Stamford where I was born and raised. 2 is New Haven and 3 is Hartford.

Old 01-16-2021, 07:55 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
LOL.....see my post above. In 2018 CT's income WENT UP.

So my family has been in Fairfield County since the late 1800's. Trust me on this one thing. I have heard my relatives for generations relay stories of wealthy moving into CT. Do wealthy people leave when they retire....yes. But someone always seems to take their place. My family is from the Greenwich, Stamford, Darien and New Canaan area.

New wealthy in Fairfield County comes from NYC generation after generation after generation from:
Sports Athletes
Media Personalities
Actors
Musicians and the Music Business Executives
Clothes Designers
Madison Avenue Advertising
CEO's and Upper Management of Companies
etc.
And of course WALL STREET & FINANCE

Here is the thing. With Covid I think more wealthy from NYC will be getting homes here in CT. Let's keep an eye on the income and see what happens in 2020 and 2021.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Gerritt Cole took his place. He makes 35M/yr

The opposite has occurred. Anyone whos awake and breathing the last 6-8 months knows this.
Backcountry Greenwich alone saw homes turnover 75% higher this year. Exhilerating!
CT RE agents and attorneys, title searchers, mortgage brokers are still trying to catch their breaths. They're running on pure fumes.
To be fair, many of those listed aren't moving to CT for lower taxes. There are other reasons as athletes, actors, musicians pay taxes all over the country. Cole will pay taxes in every state that has a ball team except for FL, TX, and WA. Some cities also have a "jock" tax that all athletes, actors, and entertainers pay. I wouldn't be surprised that Cole will pay very little in CT income tax.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:16 AM

6,911 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:

I agree 100%.

I even made a post (I think in another topic) that said the same exact thing. I think New Haven really could be a world class city and we should start with turning that around. CT is such a small state I think there are really three city/area we need to concentrate on and one of them knows how to help itself which is 1) Stamford where I was born and raised. 2 is New Haven and 3 is Hartford.
What do they have to turn around? New Haven has "world class" qualities that put Stamford to shame. You serious!
The food, University, architecture, museums.
Where have you been? are you sure you're from CT?

Old 01-16-2021, 08:23 AM

278 posts, read 145,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
To be fair, many of those listed aren't moving to CT for lower taxes. There are other reasons as athletes, actors, musicians pay taxes all over the country. Cole will pay taxes in every state that has a ball team except for FL, TX, and WA. Some cities also have a "jock" tax that all athletes, actors, and entertainers pay. I wouldn't be surprised that Cole will pay very little in CT income tax.

That's why it is a shame CT doesn't have a top level professional sports team in one of the big 4 sports. Lost the Whalers and missed on the Patriots. The area really should have one. The Hartford/New Haven media market is the largest in the country without a top level big 4 sports team. I agree with CTArtist's idea that CT should focus on those 3 cities, and I think getting such a sports team could do wonders for Hartford and/or New Haven.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:42 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Yeah a bit of luck with the lockdowns in NYC. But that's what CT survives on, people fleeing from the city when things go south. Not really a healthy way to run a state. Eventually those people who fled will have kids who grow up and desperately want to leave CT. And the city will be right there and it is the same old story again.

I don't know why CT doesn't even attempt to revamp itself and revitalize the cities. There is so much great historical architecture that is sitting there wasted in the dumpy, trashy towns and cities - just miserable places that are some of the worst in the country. Put a little effort into it and the state could be an attraction and maybe even a small-scale employment center. Instead they just build big box bull**** on long stretches of overcrowded routes. A strip mall purgatory.
I’m sorry but I have this negative crap for decades now and if anything, our state is in a better place than it was 50 years ago. Every state has its share of trashy towns and cities. If anything Connecticut has far fewer than

We have two of the most successful cities in the country, Stamford and Norwalk. They are major employment centers with some of our country’s most distinguished companies. Thousands of new apartments ar3 being built in both cities adding to their desirability. Norwalk has one of our country’s newest and most upscale shopping malls, The SoNo Collection and Stamford has Charter Communications new headquarters being built.

Hartford is New England’s second largest employment centers with major offices for some of our country’s largest insurers. New Haven has become a major hub for biomedical research and development, has a stop 20 hospital, Yale New Haven Hospital, and it still home to one of our country’s top universities, Yale.

Hartford and New Haven have seen thousands of new apartment being built in or near their central business districts. Bridgeport has seen similar improvements with many of its beautiful old commercial buildings being converted into residential uses.

Hartford has one of the most successful minor league baseball teams in the country. They are No. 1 with the number of sellout games. It also has highly regarded music scene with the Xfinity Meadows Music Center and the nearby Infinity Music Hall. Hartford has a great live theater with Hartford Stage, Theaterworks and The Bushnell. There’s many great and varied restaurants in both cities. Certainly impressive for small cities.

I could go on and on but with just this I can’t see how anyone with any objectivity can call them miserable, dumpy or trashy. Jay

Old 01-16-2021, 08:50 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
So tax revenue is WAY up in our state and has completely wiped out the once projected $640 million deficit. In fact, it’s eliminated the need for tax increases and is adding to our already record setting Rainy Day Fund. That’s really great news. Jay

http://ctmirror.org/2021/01/15/spiki...-analysts-say/

Old 01-16-2021, 09:08 AM

252 posts, read 139,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

I could go on and on but with just this I can’t see how anyone with any objectivity can call them miserable, dumpy or trashy. Jay
I don’t think you really believe this. You can type these things all you want but the reality is that if you ask a visitor to Hartford what they think of the city they will answer “depressing” “a dump” etc. (CT residents know better than to visit its cities unless they have to work there)

No one drives through Waterbury or New Haven outside of Yale or Bridgeport and decides they are objectively great small cities. That just isn’t reality and CT needs to realize this. They are ghettos with some pockets of “just ok” areas. Except for Waterbury, which is just a total ghetto.

And your point about the Norwalk mall is exactly the problem with CT development. No one in the state seems to understand the world today - malls are borderline obsolete. Who the hell goes to a mall anymore? It’s like people are still mentally in 1987 in CT.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I don’t think you really believe this. You can type these things all you want but the reality is that if you ask a visitor to Hartford what they think of the city they will answer “depressing” “a dump” etc. (CT residents know better than to visit its cities unless they have to work there)

No one drives through Waterbury or New Haven outside of Yale or Bridgeport and decides they are objectively great small cities. That just isn’t reality and CT needs to realize this. They are ghettos with some pockets of “just ok” areas. Except for Waterbury, which is just a total ghetto.

And your point about the Norwalk mall is exactly the problem with CT development. No one in the state seems to understand the world today - malls are borderline obsolete. Who the hell goes to a mall anymore? It’s like people are still mentally in 1987 in CT.

Going head to head with a City Data icon and Hall of Famer who's brain is an A-Z encyclopdia of CT knowledge from Agriculture to Zoning probably isn't a good idea.
I have wealthy educated personnel in Stub,CT tell me all the time a trip to the Science Center in Hartford with small children is a must do.

CT doesn't hold exclusive rights to ghettos. You haven't discovered a holy grail of info here. 49 other states partake with large, medium, small and depressing towns and cities. Our border neighboors sure do. Anyone still on oxygen knows this.
Add another member to the "Death by a Thousand Cuts" crew here on the CT Forum.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:48 AM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
What do they have to turn around? New Haven has "world class" qualities that put Stamford to shame. You serious!
The food, University, architecture, museums.
Where have you been? are you sure you're from CT?
It is an awesome city but as we know our bigger cities have problems (with the exception Danbury Stamford and Norwalk)

By the numbers.

Household Income from the US census
Stamford........$93,059
New Haven.....$42,222
Hartford.........$36,278

Poverty from the US census
Stamford........9.2%
New Haven.....26.5
Hartford.........28.1
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...icut/PST045219

Crime from City-Data (national average is 274)
Stamford........128
New Haven.....427
Hartford.........482

I want to see the stats for New Haven and Hartford mirror (or come close) those of Stamford. I think it can be done but the will of the people of CT and the politicians need to make it happen. Once these cities are made safe and desirable to live in that will bring up the income of New Haven/Hartford and it's surrounding area. CT only has three major economic centers (Stamford, New Haven, Hartford) and one area needs no help. If I was the Governor I would set up a fund to give a 5-10 year tax abatements to companies coming to New Haven and Hartford. Stamford did that in the 1970's and this is how Stamford's economic engine was built. I know because many of my family were involved in politics or were politicians themselves. I can remember conversations of my uncles at my grandmother's house talking about the tax abatement for the corporations in Stamford. It wasn't until years later (when I was an adult) that I understood the significance of what they were talking about when I saw all the corporations moving in.

Last edited by CTartist; 01-16-2021 at 10:37 AM..

Old 01-16-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
It is an awesome city but as we know our bigger cities have problems (with the exception Danbury Stamford and Norwalk)

By the numbers.

Household Income from the US census
Stamford........$93,059
New Haven.....$42,222
Hartford.........$36,278

Poverty from the US census
Stamford........9.2%
New Haven.....26.5
Hartford.........28.1
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...icut/PST045219

Crime from City-Data (national average is 274)
Stamford........128
New Haven.....427
Hartford.........482

I want to see the stats for New Haven and Hartford mirror (or come close) those of Stamford. I think it can be done but the will of the people of CT and the politicians need to make it happen. Once these cities are made safe and desirable to live in that will bring up the income of New Haven/Hartford and it's surrounding area. CT only has three major economic centers (Stamford, New Haven, Hartford) and one area needs no help. If I was the Governor I would set up a fund to give a 5-10 year tax abatements to companies coming to New Haven and Hartford. Stamford did that in the 1970's and this is how Stamford's economic engine was built. I know because many of my family were involved in politics or were politicians themselves. I can remember conversations of my uncles at my grandmother's house talking about the tax abatement for the corporations in Stamford. It wasn't until years later (when I was an adult) that I understood the significance of what they were talking about when I saw all the corporation moving in.
No kidding NH has issues. You'd have to be dead not to know this. Stamford still has the bad west side and there's still some bad South Norwalk left. Danbury's worst haven't gone anywhere.

Great work with the stats. 49 other states would have the same outcomes.

It would great to see CT become the first state to make all of it's cities great, eliminate poverty and crime altogether, and increase income. Sounds like a plan. Once we establish that, all the other states can follow CT's model. When do we start?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut