Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 08:41 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Why is that?
Otis, elevator industry, NYC is a superb market for. IMO there is a predisposition to have a big presence in that industry in the tri-state.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:34 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
If Carrier leaves, its a big impact move. I've been with corps who did lots of business with them. They are tough.

Business Journals btw, are a large org,, one parent to dozens of them. If rumors leak of this nature, it definitely indicates they are at least more than open to exploring such possibilities.
I disagree. Carrier’s presence here is small. Except for some small suppliers to that office, there will be little impact felt here. Jay

Old 11-30-2018, 06:58 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I saw a news article pop up from Florida biz journal saying Carrier will be based in (HQ) in Palm Beach. Talk about jumping the gun. UTC has no idea what they are doing yet. Still working through logistics.

I do find it funny that some people are like it’s ok if they leave, they don’t have too many people in CT. But when that state “buys” a company HQ relocation and brings in like 20 jobs we think it’s the greatest thing. Why wouldn’t you want to keep a business here that is already here? That’s a big building off of 84 they have, do people think CT is a hot bed for HQ and it’ll be filled quick?
This is just another company Palm Beach has stolen from CT, and it’s not a good thing. Palm Beach and Broward County both have shark business recruiters that specifically poach from CT, NJ and IL, and do so successfully. How can this be reversed? CT does the hard work and south FL is reaping the benefits.

I agree that when a company leaves, many say “meh, only 100 people” but cheer when a company of 20 moves in.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:14 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Otis, elevator industry, NYC is a superb market for. IMO there is a predisposition to have a big presence in that industry in the tri-state.
And Carrier is one of the biggest HVAC manufacturers in the world - those same buildings need those as well.

Realistically, HQ doesn't have to be near the biggest markets. Automakers aren't in CA, the biggest banks aren't all based in NY, the biggest retailers aren't in the largest markets.

Heck I used to sell to the biggest transport refrigeration company in the world. They were based in Minnesota. Walking into their environmental garage in the middle of winter was a riot when in was 110 degrees inside and below zero outside.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:20 AM

60 posts, read 54,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Also, UTC confirmed that the new Collins Aerospace systems will be based in Florida. Granted this is technically a subsidiary or UTC still makes no sense that if they want to focus on the aerospace why would all the executives be in Fl and UTC leadership be in CT.

Unless I’m reading that wrong which is a possibility.

Where did you read this? Right now, UTC Aerospace is headquartered in North Carolina (Former Goodrich facility)

Old 11-30-2018, 08:22 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Been spending a lot of time in Detroit lately. Bankruptcy seems to have helped. Construction everywhere. Desirable suburbs booming.

It could have helped Hartford.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:24 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is just another company Palm Beach has stolen from CT, and it’s not a good thing. Palm Beach and Broward County both have shark business recruiters that specifically poach from CT, NJ and IL, and do so successfully. How can this be reversed? CT does the hard work and south FL is reaping the benefits.

I agree that when a company leaves, many say “meh, only 100 people” but cheer when a company of 20 moves in.
As I asked yesterday and which no one answered, what 20 employee company did anyone here "cheer"? Once again, no one has said that it is fine if Carrier's headquarters leaves but, just like GE, it will barely create a ripple in our economy. Posters need to stop exaggerating things other people say here.; Jay

Old 11-30-2018, 08:39 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans1976 View Post
Where did you read this? Right now, UTC Aerospace is headquartered in North Carolina (Former Goodrich facility)
In the below article. Apparently the move started a while ago.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/2...est-palm-beach

Old 11-30-2018, 05:37 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Been spending a lot of time in Detroit lately. Bankruptcy seems to have helped. Construction everywhere. Desirable suburbs booming.

Absolutely. Its inevitable IMO anyway, just a matter of when.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:24 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

I know Oz mentioned something about Detroit in his plan. Where they sell Government buildings to private realtors and then rent the buildings out so that they are not exempt from property taxes

Wonder if Hartford would consider that as an option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut