Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2018, 06:00 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Carrier does not have a significant presence here in Connecticut. The only facility I know of is their small headquarters office in Farmington in the same building as Otis Elevator's headquarters and near UTC's headquarters. I don't think Carrier's name is even on the building though the short dead end street their building is located on off Route 6 is named Carrier Place. Their main research and development division is in suburban Syracuse where more than 1,000 employees work. Carrier's corporate offices were moved by UTC from Syracuse sometime over the last 20 or so years (I could not find the date but remember when they moved here). I think it is very likely Carrier will leave but doubt it would have a significant impact to the Connecticut economy. Jay
IMO Carrier needs to be in the Northeast far less than Otis.

I am not sure their Ct headcount

Old 11-28-2018, 06:20 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

Otis has a large testing facility in Bristol. Doesn't make any sense for them to dismantle that and rebuild it somewhere else. Unless perhaps they can get some taxpayer handouts like Amazon.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Interesting never heard of Carrier since yesterday. Friend is going for an interview with them. Hope they stay in Connecticut.
It would be natural for interviewer to briefly comment on it.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:27 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:

Why is that?

Old 11-29-2018, 06:42 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,985 times
Quote:

I saw a news article pop up from Florida biz journal saying Carrier will be based in (HQ) in Palm Beach. Talk about jumping the gun. UTC has no idea what they are doing yet. Still working through logistics.

I do find it funny that some people are like it’s ok if they leave, they don’t have too many people in CT. But when that state “buys” a company HQ relocation and brings in like 20 jobs we think it’s the greatest thing. Why wouldn’t you want to keep a business here that is already here? That’s a big building off of 84 they have, do people think CT is a hot bed for HQ and it’ll be filled quick?

Old 11-29-2018, 08:16 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I saw a news article pop up from Florida biz journal saying Carrier will be based in (HQ) in Palm Beach. Talk about jumping the gun. UTC has no idea what they are doing yet. Still working through logistics.

I do find it funny that some people are like it’s ok if they leave, they don’t have too many people in CT. But when that state “buys” a company HQ relocation and brings in like 20 jobs we think it’s the greatest thing. Why wouldn’t you want to keep a business here that is already here? That’s a big building off of 84 they have, do people think CT is a hot bed for HQ and it’ll be filled quick?
Where did I or anyone else say it was okay if they left? I said that they do not have a significant facility in Connecticut so the impact of them leaving would not be significant. That is a fact. No one would be okay with it. Given that the only reason Carrier is based in Farmington is its ties to UTC and that it will no longer be part of them, I would be surprised if they did stay.

Also what 20 employee company did Connecticut "buy "? The First Five program requires employers to create 200 jobs and invest a minimum of $25 million in order to be eligible for significant tax breaks and credits. Any other credits given for smaller companies are significantly less and based on the economic impact the company could have on the state but still they could hardly be considered to be bought to come here. Jay

https://www.ct.gov/ecd/lib/ecd/first...d_jan_2018.pdf

Old 11-29-2018, 10:48 AM

Also, UTC confirmed that the new Collins Aerospace systems will be based in Florida. Granted this is technically a subsidiary or UTC still makes no sense that if they want to focus on the aerospace why would all the executives be in Fl and UTC leadership be in CT.

Unless I’m reading that wrong which is a possibility.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:16 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Also, UTC confirmed that the new Collins Aerospace systems will be based in Florida. Granted this is technically a subsidiary or UTC still makes no sense that if they want to focus on the aerospace why would all the executives be in Fl and UTC leadership be in CT.

Unless I’m reading that wrong which is a possibility.
There is no reason for Collins to be headquartered in Connecticut. They do not have major facilities here. It is best for them to be headquartered near their major facilities rather than the corporate headquarters of their owner. The new UTC's other major division, Pratt & Whitney is based in East Hartford. Jay

Old 11-29-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There is no reason for Collins to be headquartered in Connecticut. They do not have major facilities here. It is best for them to be headquartered near their major facilities rather than the corporate headquarters of their owner. The new UTC's other major division, Pratt & Whitney is based in East Hartford. Jay
You’re right. I thought the new company included P&W but it does not.
Scratch that. Now it makes sense.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:

If Carrier leaves, its a big impact move. I've been with corps who did lots of business with them. They are tough.

Business Journals btw, are a large org,, one parent to dozens of them. If rumors leak of this nature, it definitely indicates they are at least more than open to exploring such possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut