Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 12:37 PM

83,540 posts, read 75,390,209 times

Advertisements

Sandy is forming an eye and strengthening. Im seeing a North East move now. Soon it will move North then North West

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 12:38 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,209,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
24 hours away. The storm really gets cranking towards midnight into 8am tomorrow and the worst of the storm is 6pm monday to 10 tuesday.. for NY/CT area.
So much info I have been taking in......so, channel 8 says around noon tomorrow will be very bad and your saying worst around 6pm. Just trying to get a handle on it......I'd hate to not show up for work tomorrow and nothing happens until later....I thought it was going to start in the morning and go downhill from there? Sorry, Ive been reading online so much that I cant even think straight.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:56 PM

519 posts, read 744,495 times
I have to be to work regardless.. I hope I-95 South at 9Am is going to be clear it's always a delay until exit 11.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:57 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,099,405 times
I'm in Staten Island. South shore. It's me and my 8yr. old grandson home alone and I'm getting worried about this storm.

Do you have any idea what I can expect weatherwise?

I'm not in the areas that are being evacuated so I'm not worried about flooding, although my basement will probably get some water.

Do you think I'll lose power? I just bought the last generator from Lowes but have no idea how to use it. I've read the directions but they're over my head. Does anyone know of a link that can help me figure out how to use this generator?

My husband works for NYC water dept so he was mandated to go to work and now I'm stuck here alone and not sure what to do.

thanks for any suggestions, and stay safe everyone.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
So much info I have been taking in......so, channel 8 says around noon tomorrow will be very bad and your saying worst around 6pm. Just trying to get a handle on it......I'd hate to not show up for work tomorrow and nothing happens until later....I thought it was going to start in the morning and go downhill from there? Sorry, Ive been reading online so much that I cant even think straight.

I hear you on the info... I think I've become immuned to it after all these storms. lol

"Worst" doesnt mean "only".

Meaning winds can be 30-40mph all day from the morning causing damage and down trees but then 60-70mph from evening to early morning will the the peak/worst.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I'm in Staten Island. South shore. It's me and my 8yr. old grandson home alone and I'm getting worried about this storm.

Do you have any idea what I can expect weatherwise?

I'm not in the areas that are being evacuated so I'm not worried about flooding, although my basement will probably get some water.

Do you think I'll lose power? I just bought the last generator from Lowes but have no idea how to use it. I've read the directions but they're over my head. Does anyone know of a link that can help me figure out how to use this generator?

My husband works for NYC water dept so he was mandated to go to work and now I'm stuck here alone and not sure what to do.

thanks for any suggestions, and stay safe everyone.

make sure you do NOT run the generator inside the house or garage check to make sure it has oil as most wont start because of low oil, make sure you use FRESH gas.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Wind starting to pick up here. Gusting to 25 mph.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:02 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,694,655 times
already hearing some whistling wind out there ( M'town) though there was nothing this morning. didn't think it would hit this early.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:04 PM

Reminder that this is results from a Negative NAO.

If we did not have blocking up north, this thing would have gone OTS.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Just keep in mind it floods around exit 16 on 95.
This is going to sound stupid since I'm not sure of the bridge height but how is it possible that it floods on the bridge? Or is it that it floods off the bridge? I'm looking at the google earth map and it seems the water is low but I really never bothered to look at the water off to the sides but I know a few times this year it's flooded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut