Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times

Advertisements

Was there alot of Damage to the homes and the shoreline between Milford and West Haven along the route below?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...84555,0.209255
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,881 times
Yes, a bit.

Some of the beach in WH was eroded away. Which is nothing new but its just more drastic. Oyster River area got hit pretty hard but made it out. A couple of houses by Oyster were flooded and nearly dragged away from the water...Because the houses are literally 10 feet away from waves in a normal high tide. After the flooding at Oyster river there was a LOT of sand everywhere, city guys had to bulldoze big piles of sand and there was a lot of debris there. This took a few days for the flooding to go down and then it looked like the beach with all the sand. The debris amount was massive.

Woodmont got flooded pretty bad, Beach ave and Kings hwy were flooded, the water was atleast knee deep by Kings hwy and a there was a ton of sand dragged all over the street. I Havent been over by Gulf street in a while but Im sure it got flooded.

Why do you ask about these areas? Do you cycle or walk?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
Yes, a bit.

Some of the beach in WH was eroded away. Which is nothing new but its just more drastic. Oyster River area got hit pretty hard but made it out. A couple of houses by Oyster were flooded and nearly dragged away from the water...Because the houses are literally 10 feet away from waves in a normal high tide. After the flooding at Oyster river there was a LOT of sand everywhere, city guys had to bulldoze big piles of sand and there was a lot of debris there. This took a few days for the flooding to go down and then it looked like the beach with all the sand. The debris amount was massive.

Woodmont got flooded pretty bad, Beach ave and Kings hwy were flooded, the water was atleast knee deep by Kings hwy and a there was a ton of sand dragged all over the street. I Havent been over by Gulf street in a while but Im sure it got flooded.

Why do you ask about these areas? Do you cycle or walk?
I was going to walk this route once the West Haven Station opens later this year...

Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM

Well the roads are drivable, I drive down 75% of that route atleast once a week. the main concern is theres sand everywhere, and after the winter is over theres going to be dirt on top of it if we get more snow.

Its all walkable, I dont know about cycling yet. Thats pretty much my cycle route when I ride into Milford. I ride out to Gulf beach..., I wouldnt yet because of the sand on the side of the road and also it seems bikers still dont get respect yet...

Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Depends where. Houses in Milford generally got hit worse as there's more low lying areas. By the time the West Haven station is open, most of the damage will be repaired. I'd say 90% of the damage of Irene was completed a year after the storm. That excludes homes where the owners had insufficient insurance or were having trouble collectubg. There are still a few that went without repair since Irene that are worse now.

Melba Street, Edgewood, low lying areas of Point Beach and the Oyster River area in West Haven were hit the worst along that route. Woodmont and Morningside (both beautiful walks) weren't badly hit because they're elevated. Morningside is elevated enough that it had no flooding whatsoever, and Woodmont experienced some minor flooding. Unfortunately the brand new sand brought in to Woodmont after Irene is largely gone. It was really nice. Hopefully they will bring it back by the summer.

That is a very nice walk. There's not much to see around the West Haven train station, but once you get to the water it's really nice. The only change I'd recommend is walking Morningside Drive. Very nice neighborhood with an elevated view of LI Sound.

When is the West Haven station slated to open?

Old 01-06-2013, 09:30 PM

I have no idea about an opening, but its getting built fast, if anyones interested i can get a few pics up.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:53 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
CT is kind of the "lonely stepsister" of recent hurricanes; there's damage but its overshadowed in the news by NY and NJ. During Irene in 2011, one of the most significant damage spots in the whole region was actually a neighborhood in East Haven where several homes washed into the Sound.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:19 AM

I noticed some gaps in the sidewalks along Gulf Street and Bayshore Drive , these aren't busy streets are they? Like a car here or there.....?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:06 AM

837 posts, read 2,082,610 times
Does anyone know if they are going to speed up transit times? I LOVE the new stations (e.g. Fairfield Metro and the forthcoming West Haven station) but IMO these extra stops are slowing down an already painfully long ride if you come in/out of New Haven.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
Does anyone know if they are going to speed up transit times? I LOVE the new stations (e.g. Fairfield Metro and the forthcoming West Haven station) but IMO these extra stops are slowing down an already painfully long ride if you come in/out of New Haven.
I actually wrote the MTA about that issue at one point and they surprisingly replied.

They said that their long term goal includes adding more cars, which will allow for more express trains with less and less stops. They said "true" express trains that go direct to GCT from major stations are possible with more cars.

Of course, whether or not this will actually happen is unknown. Easier said than done. The one positive is that the express trains from New Haven will not stop in West Haven, but unfortunately expect the local trains to have a few minutes added by stopping there. The same thing happened with Fairfield Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut