Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 11:07 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
This is what we get for a crappy summer. A very mild fall and winter
You still on this???....so I'll humor you. Explain how a "crappy" whatever that means summer..translates into a warm fall and winter. Help us out here ..give us something that makes sense.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I'm not sure what your basing "crappy summer on?

June was rainy...but July and August were warmer AND drier than normal = they were perfect in terms of the beach business down here on the coast. Unless you mean July and August were too warm and sunny for you?

In any event...I think you'll get some of the cooler weather your looking for by early November. Give it time.
Actually July was warmer and drier than normal..but August was cooler and drier than normal which added up to a perfect month of weather. How this guy sees that as a crappy summer is baffling.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:18 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Current temps on left. GFS12z next Friday morning temps on right. Best of both worlds I guess. Enjoy the next 3-4 days.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Current temps on left. GFS12z next Friday morning temps on right. Best of both worlds I guess. Enjoy the next 3-4 days.
Wait there's something wrong on that map, 50s in Long Island vs. upper 20s in Danbury? I know there can be a big difference between the two in low temperature due to radiational cooling and being away from the water, but not as big as that! Besides if anything, the 50s would be in NYC itself and LI would be in the 40s in that scenario (you certainly would not have 50s on LI while only upper 30s in NYC at the same time as the map suggests).

Old 10-17-2013, 02:01 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Wait there's something wrong on that map, 50s in Long Island vs. upper 20s in Danbury? I know there can be a big difference between the two in low temperature due to radiational cooling and being away from the water, but not as big as that! Besides if anything, the 50s would be in NYC itself and LI would be in the 40s in that scenario (you certainly would not have 50s on LI while only upper 30s in NYC at the same time as the map suggests).
Actually cutting to the chase on your observations; 40s apparently do not exist.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Don't worry you will be lighting the stove soon Cam. Have you checked out the GFS 192. LOL It's nice to start seeing snow on the models.

NWS Burlington, VT has snow in their AFD.
A Facebook site I'm on called Tri-State Weather had the following to say about it:

Fact Check: Many of you have asked us about a fantasy 'major winter storm' for next week that you have seen others mention. Let's be very clear. Those talking, hyping and/or discussing this as a real possibility are highly irresponsible to say the least. They are hyping and fear mongering a non-event. This has a near zero chance of happening with the pattern we are in and there is no support at this time from all other guidance and even it's own ensembles. This hyping is a disservice to everyone and when a real threat emerges those following these hype everything groups will not take it seriously, as we saw with Sandy last year. As always, you can count on us to provide you with the real no-hype forecast. Remember, no hype, just get the forecast right!

Old 10-17-2013, 02:15 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Actually cutting to the chase on your observations; 40s apparently do not exist.
Nice catches. The gradient might be crazy because the air above is so cold which is bringing it down to the surface meanwhile the ocean is well above normal and so warm.

There are 40s on that map but very tight. Faded blues are 40s too next to green. I think the warm ocean is playing a role there..

Also.. GFS isn't Hi-Resolution so it can't pick out Heat Islands and Higher elevations so well.

Attached is another source but the day before. Notice 50s on Long Island. upper 20s possible in Litchfield.
Attached Thumbnails
New Connecticut Weather Thread-gfs45.jpg  

Old 10-17-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
A Facebook site I'm on called Tri-State Weather had the following to say about it:

Fact Check: Many of you have asked us about a fantasy 'major winter storm' for next week that you have seen others mention. Let's be very clear. Those talking, hyping and/or discussing this as a real possibility are highly irresponsible to say the least. They are hyping and fear mongering a non-event. This has a near zero chance of happening with the pattern we are in and there is no support at this time from all other guidance and even it's own ensembles. This hyping is a disservice to everyone and when a real threat emerges those following these hype everything groups will not take it seriously, as we saw with Sandy last year. As always, you can count on us to provide you with the real no-hype forecast. Remember, no hype, just get the forecast right!
Love that ..no hype , get the forecast right! Wish weather folks would follow that advice.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:23 PM

754 posts, read 1,017,845 times
That's what makes it fun. Don't ever watch the movie big fish

Old 10-17-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice catches. The gradient might be crazy because the air above is so cold which is bringing it down to the surface meanwhile the ocean is well above normal and so warm.

There are 40s on that map but very tight. Faded blues are 40s too next to green. I think the warm ocean is playing a role there..

Also.. GFS isn't Hi-Resolution so it can't pick out Heat Islands and Higher elevations so well.

Attached is another source but the day before. Notice 50s on Long Island. upper 20s possible in Litchfield.
I've noticed that GFS often tries to make LI warmer than NYC for nighttime lows, but it rarely is the case in reality. Cape Cod being warmer than NYC for a low sometimes happens though......(but not often either)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut