Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 05:14 PM

754 posts, read 1,017,845 times

Advertisements

So long range is showing a "possibly" snowy finish to Jan?

Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Nothing better than 39 degrees and rain. Actually went up past couple hours and I'm at the high for the day now.

1/4" so far, some local heavy spots through tonight.. NO ICE expected.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah and the latest GFS18z looks VERY snowy for the rest of January. Run the loop, watch the freezing line stay to our south (so it stays COLD) and all the systems and moisture which would be snow after the 18th. SnowStorm after snowstorm every 3-4 days. Its long range "GFS" so dont put too much faith in it.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/mode...06GFSLoop.html
If you look back at weather records, you'll see that January, 2000 was very similar if the forecast plays out. First half was quite warm with a couple of days in the 60s even (at least in NYC, not sure if it got that warm in CT), but 2nd half was bitter cold, averaging well below normal and most places got about 1-2 feet of total snow from 2 snowfalls.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:22 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,219 times
Quote:
Here we go folks... After next weekend things will start to get active and interesting. There's been consistance in a deep trough, cold temps and Tropical interaction.

But when you're having coffee while seeing this, you have to be careful spitting some out. Don't fret yet. Its only one run...but something is brewing. This particular situation would bring tropical downpours, damaging winds, and damaging snows to parts of NY State and higher elevations. It stalls over us which is rare but indicates major blocking up north. The storm has nowhere to go! Once it moves out, snow wil fall on the back side of it even into CT.

This is just one run of this solution... lets keep an eye on things.
Lol I was looking back at this thread "something is brewing". Damn straight it was

Old 01-12-2013, 02:23 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,219 times
Quote:
Here we go folks... After next weekend things will start to get active and interesting. There's been consistance in a deep trough, cold temps and Tropical interaction.

But when you're having coffee while seeing this, you have to be careful spitting some out. Don't fret yet. Its only one run...but something is brewing. This particular situation would bring tropical downpours, damaging winds, and damaging snows to parts of NY State and higher elevations. It stalls over us which is rare but indicates major blocking up north. The storm has nowhere to go! Once it moves out, snow wil fall on the back side of it even into CT.

This is just one run of this solution... lets keep an eye on things.
Lol I was looking back at this thread "something is brewing". Damn straight it was
This is from about 10/21/2012

Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
This is from about 10/21/2012
Yup and 2 days later I started the thread. https://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...er-2012-a.html I still shake my head at what I was seeing every day leading up to the event. Was hard to imagine, understand and believe.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:04 AM

754 posts, read 1,017,845 times
ok so I keep seeing "major changes" for next week meaning it will get cold im assuming.... but on any extended forecast Im seeing temps in mid 40s all the way through next Friday with no precip anywhere in sight!

????

Old 01-12-2013, 11:30 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
ok so I keep seeing "major changes" for next week meaning it will get cold im assuming.... but on any extended forecast Im seeing temps in mid 40s all the way through next Friday with no precip anywhere in sight!

????
Starting next weekend Mixum..till then above normal

Old 01-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Amazing BATTLE happening.

Polar vs SouthEast Ridge. The Ridge has a heartbeat and kept us warm till now, the Polar air is going to come in fierce.

Stratosphere at record warm levels and so we will feel the effects at the surface because the polar air is displaced and will drop down to us.

GFS shows snow south of us on Tuesday but the news story is the possible cold outbreak.

Worth watching the 6 minutes here. He explains what the Stratosphere warming does to our weather and temps.

Stratosphere Warming by NYNJPA Weather - YouTube

Old 01-12-2013, 02:18 PM

Default Arctic Outbreak 2013

I can't ignore it anymore. I always seen the models push it back and back and I kept ignoring it and not believing it. But the consistancy is now overwhelming and so it should be talked about.

This could be a widespread news story regarding this upcoming outbreak (probably more for northern tier of U.S)

But I will say.. until we get closer, we wont know how deep, how cold, or how long it will last.

Here's Euro for Tuesday morning the 22nd. GFS is not as cold. Single Digits for all of CT, near 0 for northern Litchfield.

Here's GFS for Friday afternoon the 26th. I think its safe to say that next weekend, the bottom drops. We'l see how cold it really gets. Make sure your furnace is working.

Below zero for all of CT

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut