Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 02:50 PM

757 posts, read 569,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The parkway concept is an interesting idea...especially given the location along the water.. Like you said people would rather have it either be natural or have some developer commandeer it for housing.. but I could see where a multi modal parkway (bike, car, and pedestrian) could be useful and interesting if it followed the railroad line
There are parallels in other cities: Westside Highway (full highway) and Riverside Drive (large street) in New York, Pacific Coast Highway in LA, Lakeshore Drive in Chicago, and George Washington Parkway and Whitehurst Freeway in DC. The problem is that you effectively cut off access to the water by adding a road along the edge. Think about the mental rift caused by Assembly. A road wider than two or three lanes is going to feel like a barrier and if you limit the crossings, as you would on a parkway like that, cars move much faster and the road feels even more menacing. If the goal is to increase access to the river, a river side parkway would be counterproductive. Of course there's also stormwater runoff, litter, pollution, etc. to consider as mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 02:55 PM

8,250 posts, read 13,379,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
There are parallels in other cities: Westside Highway (full highway) and Riverside Drive (large street) in New York, Pacific Coast Highway in LA, Lakeshore Drive in Chicago, and George Washington Parkway and Whitehurst Freeway in DC. The problem is that you effectively cut off access to the water by adding a road along the edge. Think about the mental rift caused by Assembly. A road wider than two or three lanes is going to feel like a barrier and if you limit the crossings, as you would on a parkway like that, cars move much faster and the road feels even more menacing. If the goal is to increase access to the river, a river side parkway would be counterproductive. Of course there's also stormwater runoff, litter, pollution, etc. to consider as mentioned.

Good points.....

Old 02-15-2017, 03:52 PM

1,154 posts, read 959,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
I'll draw up a concept picture tonight. Of the map and how it would be built via my idea. Because my initial idea was it to be Mostly elevated and the rest ground level.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:37 PM

1,124 posts, read 928,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
OK so instead of me posting this in the general thread I'm gonna post it here.

I think we should start talking about our own paternal ideas for certain areas. An area that hasn't been talked about or developed yet in downtown in the area in general.

Ideas from the feasible to the crazy over top ideas some so crazy that they might even work. And just our own input in what Columbia needs instead of waiting for development to happen in that certain spot.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/25873309@N07/30746601233/

Here's my idea Here the picture above.

I imagine the convention center being extended with a garage attached to it.

College street extended around the colonial life arena and onto Wayne Street.

Wayne street will be extended also.

The land around that area would be turned into an entertainment hub with a Giant Ferris Wheel called the Columbia Eye which would be the tallest attraction in Columbia and would provide beautiful 360° views of downtown. And be a center piece for the Vista.
I gotta start by saying I've watched your YouTube videos and enjoy them. What I really want for Columbia, and what I think the city is quite simply ready for, is another tower. Also, I'd love to see 8 lanes on the interstates, if even at the least the beltway portions of 20, 26, and 77. I think the fair should last a month instead of two weeks. Something else I'd love to see is a permanent drive in theater. Perhaps put it near Williams-Brice to spur (pardon the pun) growth in that area. Maybe newer traffic light poles. No more ugly wires. We need to do what Lexington is doing with the nice overhead metal poles. Also, better entry signs for downtown and the city limits. Oh, and street signs above every street in the city intersections. Not just downtown. I guess just some general improvements. And have SC 277 turned into an interstate spur. Wouldn't be costly since it almost already meets the standards, and you'd get federal funding help.

P.S. And for the love of god an Apple Store would be nice.

Last edited by BrandonCoombes; 08-01-2017 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 08-01-2017, 11:07 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
An Apple store would be nice, but doggone I'd rather see better public transportation than more highway widening/construction.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I gotta start by saying I've watched your YouTube videos and enjoy them. What I really want for Columbia, and what I think the city is quite simply ready for, is another tower. Also, I'd love to see 8 lanes on the interstates, if even at the least the beltway portions of 20, 26, and 77. I think the fair should last a month instead of two weeks. Something else I'd love to see is a permanent drive in theater. Perhaps put it near Williams-Brice to spur (pardon the pun) growth in that area. Maybe newer traffic light poles. No more ugly wires. We need to do what Lexington is doing with the nice overhead metal poles. Also, better entry signs for downtown and the city limits. Oh, and street signs above every street in the city intersections. Not just downtown. I guess just some general improvements. And have SC 277 turned into an interstate spur. Wouldn't be costly since it almost already meets the standards, and you'd get federal funding help.

P.S. And for the love of god an Apple Store would be nice.
Yes you're right. I think another thing Columbia need is Rail transit like Now! No waiting 20 years. Yesterday for example it took me 30+ minutes to get from 277/BullStreet to because Street to get home. The traffic was that bad.

Every year it gets progressively worst and that buses wouldn't help for the fact they will be on the today. We need a rail transit now. I want to see a line built or started within the next 5 years. And it doesn't have to be full electric. I've seen these before Diesel electric trains who work just as good.

We need something soon.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:10 AM

273 posts, read 246,831 times
The bluff Rd project is finishing phase 1 at the end of the month. That'll get rid of some of the utility lines and add some beautification to the Williams-Brice area.
Rail is in the works. The Comet had a meeting a couple months ago to discuss where to move the new transit hub. They want it on the railway for commuter rail/Amtrak. These things are coming but you gotta go to meetings and talk.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
The bluff Rd project is finishing phase 1 at the end of the month. That'll get rid of some of the utility lines and add some beautification to the Williams-Brice area.
Rail is in the works. The Comet had a meeting a couple months ago to discuss where to move the new transit hub. They want it on the railway for commuter rail/Amtrak. These things are coming but you gotta go to meetings and talk.
That's exciting to here. I need to catch the meetings. You know when's the next one?

Old 08-03-2017, 07:53 AM

8,250 posts, read 13,379,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post

Do you know where the preliminary locations under consideration or have a link to the project page? I pray.. PRAY.. they don't do something stupid like move it way out North Main or some out of the way place... Having it in the CBD only makes sense and sets the city up for future options such as highspeed rail and what not...People tend to dislike "bus stations" for fear that they bring around all the wrong types of people... a transit center can be more than a "bus station" and could include retail to serve riders and other amenities not to mention multi modal forms of transportation to include bikeshare, car rentals/car share along with buses and trains.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 AM

37,893 posts, read 42,008,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Yes you're right. I think another thing Columbia need is Rail transit like Now! No waiting 20 years. Yesterday for example it took me 30+ minutes to get from 277/BullStreet to because Street to get home. The traffic was that bad.

Every year it gets progressively worst and that buses wouldn't help for the fact they will be on the today. We need a rail transit now. I want to see a line built or started within the next 5 years. And it doesn't have to be full electric. I've seen these before Diesel electric trains who work just as good.

We need something soon.
Columbia doesn't have the density to support rail; it's a non-starter.

BRT would be a much, much more reasonable option at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area