Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 08:27 PM

1,155 posts, read 959,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
It makes sense to me! I think it may be hard getting people from cottontown on board though. I know that is your main argument about why the city is not progressive, though. I get it! I think the real question is, is there enough demand for all that building? Price is becoming an issue in the city core as one gets away from usc student money, so some investors may be a little shy in these areas. Unfortunately, Transitions would be a huge issue for building an awesome apartment building on Elmwood and Main. But, I get that this is an awesome thread about ideas, and appreciate your forward thinking! Good Work!
Yeah i think my idea mostly stems from the idea of if you build it they will come concept.

But also i believe this can happen way quicker if the idea i have of bringing a Street car down North main from the Statehouse all the way down north main just past Columbia College. I believe something like that being built there will encourage growth really fast. We see it in other cities in similar size as Columbia some even bigger and wherever they build a light rail or street car just a book in growth happens around those spots. Office retail and living starts popping up everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 08:28 PM

746 posts, read 750,176 times
I would like to see one 500ft plus building... it would not look that out of place... take Omaha NE for example. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Southwest.jpg

Old 12-19-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I did some pictures years ago on urbanplanet. Im new here on city data.
Maybe that was it... did you do those news intros too?

Old 12-19-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah i think my idea mostly stems from the idea of if you build it they will come concept.

But also i believe this can happen way quicker if the idea i have of bringing a Street car down North main from the Statehouse all the way down north main just past Columbia College. I believe something like that being built there will encourage growth really fast. We see it in other cities in similar size as Columbia some even bigger and wherever they build a light rail or street car just a book in growth happens around those spots. Office retail and living starts popping up everywhere.
Yeah, I think streetcars can bring development, but funding is a problem. How do we capture those funds from property taxes and such to fund something that benefits one area?

Old 12-19-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Maybe that was it... did you do those news intros too?
Yes that was me

Old 12-19-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I would like to see one 500ft plus building... it would not look that out of place... take Omaha NE for example. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Southwest.jpg
That could happen if 4 things happen

1 Columbia land a huge business and they require a huge office building

2 if Aflac consolidate all their offices into one because i remember someone said that their office are getting over crowded and would like to make one brand new office tower somewhere in downtown. So that could happen

3 An apartment kinda like Vuetopia in Charlotte

4 if the mayor go through with building a 30 story office tower on the corner of Main and Laurel to consolidate their offices into one building and that would also open up the used offices they use now for anyone to lease and put those back on the cities tax rolls.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
That could happen if 4 things happen

1 Columbia land a huge business and they require a huge office building

2 if Aflac consolidate all their offices into one because i remember someone said that their office are getting over crowded and would like to make one brand new office tower somewhere in downtown. So that could happen

3 An apartment kinda like Vuetopia in Charlotte

4 if the mayor go through with building a 30 story office tower on the corner of Main and Laurel to consolidate their offices into one building and that would also open up the used offices they use now for anyone to lease and put those back on the cities tax rolls.
I would like #4 to happen with a Hyatt House hotel (5-7 floors), city office building (10-13 floors), and Aflac as the core tenant (6-9 floors), with some apartments (4-5 floors) on top and a 5-7 floor parking garage built in. I think there is demand for that. The question is, what would happen to the current Aflac office complex and the old building that the city occupied.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Yes that was me
I liked those, I am a news dork!

Old 12-19-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I would like #4 to happen with a Hyatt House hotel (5-7 floors), city office building (10-13 floor), and Aflac as the core tenant (6-9 floors), with some apartments (4-5 floors) on top and a 5-7 floor parking garage built in. I think there is demand for that. The question is, what would happen to the current Aflac office complex and the old building that the city occupied.
Will all this be like one while building or like a multi tower things in one block

Old 12-19-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Will all this be like one while building or like a multi tower things in one block
I think it could be one building, like a multi use tower. The Lobby could be the first floor, then the garage, then the hotel lobby and hotel, then the city office space, then aflac, then some condos at the top... maybe a board room facility at the very top floor too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area