Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 09:40 AM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
My point is that any restriction of highway lanes is politically untenable. Commuter rail is a much easier sell if it is not prohibitively expensive (i.e. costs do not include construction of new rail). The challenge with trains, though, is that people tend to see them as tourist draws rather than viable forms of transport.
That can be a big "if."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 07:07 PM

1,155 posts, read 959,704 times
ok I forgot I created this thread.

Anyway Since I was popping off lately about Rail Transit for Columbia imma put in another idea mixed in with it.

Now I've been checking out videos and doing a bit of research on other cities that has rail transit albeit Commuter or Light Rail and I notice 2 trends

1. Biking/Walking
2. Trails lining the route (Sometimes)

First for the biking and walking. I believe if we want people to ride and also get people moving around columbia better. I think Building the Riverwalk trail along side the train tracks with the Commuter Rail Route from Downtown To Newberry would be a nice placement. adding art along the route rest areas and what not. also Bike Share rentals should be at stations along the route

The other thing I was thinking while driving around lately around town is Hampton Street and Taylor street and how those streets are built and so wide open with no pedestrians in mind. Hear me out on this. I think Extending the one way system all the way to Harden Street would be perfect. but instead of being 4 lanes. it should be 3 Lanes with wider sidewalks some Parking and Bike Lanes going up and down both streets. Add some Bike Sharing along the route and bam we have a perfect system of pedestrian and cars.

Third thing I want to talk about is the location of the intermodal center. 2 places comes to mind on where it could be at. 1. I heard from the mayor himself was land near benedict college thats on the train track could be one spot but I had a crazy idea I know some of you will disagree with. but why not put it at the Bull Street area. On the Harden Street side near the tracks. so it could be close to a main road and have access to the tracks for Amtrak and Commuter Rail service. I know it sounds far fetch but lately ive been thinking about it and been driving around and I can really see this becoming a thing soon in Columbia. They said they want to build this Intermodal Center with the idea for Buses (Commuter, Intercity and Local) and Rail Service (Commuter,Intercity and Local) within the next 5+ years. I believe it could be done. as fast as the bus service improved in the past 5 years. I believe we can achieve this next step.

Another little tidbit From the commuters I pick up daily from Lexington County and Northeast Richland county majority of them live out there but work near downtown and majority said if given the option of a train to shuttle them faster into the city they would park n ride quick.

and another thing. it would actually encourage people to move in knowing we have a better transit system. Businesses I can see wanting to open up in the area also knowing transit is a good option. and Development around the stations and Centers I can really see taking off.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:43 PM

Imma Add another thing here. After reading the 2018 Feasibility plans they said a Columbia-Camden line is the more feasible option. Not really surprised though because the Northeast area is busy and a lot of commuters go up there. and its already developing really fast. might spur on more development. im curious if they are actually gonna actually start building next year and is waiting to tell us.

im optimistic about this

Old 10-17-2017, 06:41 AM

757 posts, read 569,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Imma Add another thing here. After reading the 2018 Feasibility plans they said a Columbia-Camden line is the more feasible option. Not really surprised though because the Northeast area is busy and a lot of commuters go up there. and its already developing really fast. might spur on more development. im curious if they are actually gonna actually start building next year and is waiting to tell us.

im optimistic about this
Next year? Even bus routes typically have a months-long lead time and trains require massive investment and logistical coordination. Given the lack of current funding, any line would take years to announce, engineer, and build. Am I missing something?

Old 10-17-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Next year? Even bus routes typically have a months-long lead time and trains require massive investment and logistical coordination. Given the lack of current funding, any line would take years to announce, engineer, and build. Am I missing something?
Read the 2018 feasibility pdf on the city of Columbia's page. It was completed this year. I remember since 2006 they've been kinda quite about rail transit but the past year they've been talking about it a lot more and very frequently. I notice on the website since 2006 they've been continuing the study that's why things been quiet. that's why At meetings at the 2020 vision meeting and the recent transit meeting I went to and again in 3 more new articles.

In the study that was completed they said they've submitted the feasibility plans in for federal funding already. Also i have some inside information from CMCOG a buddy of mines that works there he couldn't give me all the information but he did tell me over the past 2 years that they have the money secured and the city and Counties also are ready to buy up tracks at least some from CSX and Southern Norfolk to have right of ways for our commuter rail service.

I feel stupid because I remember he did tell me that they are focusing on building the Columbia to Camden line first because it is the most feasible the population is denser.
Second priority is Columbia to Newberry but trying to get Lexington county to pay for it seems to be their problem even though it's only going through part of Lexington county.

That's why I'm thinking they are planning to announce something really really soon and start construction soon since it's not such a huge project. Using existing tracks, Slightly upgrading some tracks, and the stations being built between Downtown and Camden.

We'll see it's all I'm saying. My buddy is quiet mostly because he isn't allowed to tell me what's going on. So I'm optimistic about this.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:01 AM

757 posts, read 569,971 times
Quote:
Read the 2018 feasibility pdf on the city of Columbia's page. It was completed this year. I remember since 2006 they've been kinda quite about rail transit but the past year they've been talking about it a lot more and very frequently. I notice on the website since 2006 they've been continuing the study that's why things been quiet. that's why At meetings at the 2020 vision meeting and the recent transit meeting I went to and again in 3 more new articles.

In the study that was completed they said they've submitted the feasibility plans in for federal funding already. Also i have some inside information from CMCOG a buddy of mines that works there he couldn't give me all the information but he did tell me over the past 2 years that they have the money secured and the city and Counties also are ready to buy up tracks at least some from CSX and Southern Norfolk to have right of ways for our commuter rail service.

I feel stupid because I remember he did tell me that they are focusing on building the Columbia to Camden line first because it is the most feasible the population is denser.
Second priority is Columbia to Newberry but trying to get Lexington county to pay for it seems to be their problem even though it's only going through part of Lexington county.

That's why I'm thinking they are planning to announce something really really soon and start construction soon since it's not such a huge project. Using existing tracks, Slightly upgrading some tracks, and the stations being built between Downtown and Camden.

We'll see it's all I'm saying. My buddy is quiet mostly because he isn't allowed to tell me what's going on. So I'm optimistic about this.
I'm glad you're optimistic. I would be surprised if anything happened in the next 5 or even 10 years, but I'll suspend my skepticism. If they were to announce a full funding scheme, it might be realistic to make the upgrades within a 3-4 year timeframe (assuming normal NS and CSX service). Charlotte tried to fund the Red Line commuter line to no avail, but their biggest obstacle was Iredell County. Maybe you're right, maybe Kershaw County will fully funding to contribute, Columbia and Richland will defer repairs to the Columbia Canal to meet their obligations, voters won't shoot down the program, and they will be able to break ground next year. I suppose anything is possible.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you're optimistic. I would be surprised if anything happened in the next 5 or even 10 years, but I'll suspend my skepticism. If they were to announce a full funding scheme, it might be realistic to make the upgrades within a 3-4 year timeframe (assuming normal NS and CSX service). Charlotte tried to fund the Red Line commuter line to no avail, but their biggest obstacle was Iredell County. Maybe you're right, maybe Kershaw County will fully funding to contribute, Columbia and Richland will defer repairs to the Columbia Canal to meet their obligations, voters won't shoot down the program, and they will be able to break ground next year. I suppose anything is possible.
I figure if they are spending x amount of money on this project im wondering are they building this for Diesel or electric lines. if Diesel i think we should go with getting the Stadler GTW like they use in Austin,TX and Dallas,TX https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PQoD0b9axPQ/maxresdefault.jpg

They are cool looking and pretty quiet for a Diesel train. not to mention its a commuter rail that looks like a light rail train.

Another thing their study in 2006 which havent been update said that they expect 1500 daily riders. I wonder what the numbers would look like now if they promote it properly. It would be nice to at least have 2500-3000 daily riders but thats wishful thinking. then again Better things have happened in columbia that suprised me. like the fast population growth right now.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:42 AM

8,250 posts, read 13,382,547 times
Quote:

im optimistic about this

The other reason why the Camden Columbia line makes more sense is because there is already existing Passenger rail service in the form of Amtrak along that line so CSX (I believe) wont flip out over service as much as Norfolk Southern would on the Newberry route which is entirely freight.... There is also an existing station in Camden which has land to add parking if needed. Its also along route 1 though far from I-20. It could be an interim station until a new commuter oriented one is built.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...!4d-80.6070237

As for the Intermodal.. Unless a switch is built up Farrow Road near Parklane.. Amtrak trains cannot access the Harden Street location. This is where CSX tracks fly over(or under) Norfolk Southern ..who is the one that owns the Harden Street Tracks. I have always liked Hampton and Wayne Streets near the War Memorial for an Intermodal.. Its downtown, near 126 and has room for expansion/joint facility with other uses as a nice infill development. A facility could be built adjacent to the tracks and/or over the tracks with frontage along Hampton Street. Again, if its mixed use.. ground floor for transit.. upper floors could be the COMET Offices or even Richland County Offices since they have a court facility over on Huger...Stairs would carry you down to a nice double track below grade. that track provides access to Newberry, Camden, Sumter, Orangburg and beyond and thus could support a statewide system in addition to a national rail network

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...!4d-80.6070237

Old 10-19-2017, 07:48 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,459,920 times
Columbia definitely needs to get on the food hall bandwagon. If it can work in Lexington, KY, it can work in Columbia. Would be a real winner attraction downtown.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:54 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,349,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The other reason why the Camden Columbia line makes more sense is because there is already existing Passenger rail service in the form of Amtrak along that line so CSX (I believe) wont flip out over service as much as Norfolk Southern would on the Newberry route which is entirely freight.... There is also an existing station in Camden which has land to add parking if needed. Its also along route 1 though far from I-20. It could be an interim station until a new commuter oriented one is built. [/url]
If they do a Camden/Columbia line, I would build a station in Elgin with a Park 'n Ride lot. Put a station in Pontiac, maybe in the Village at Sandhill near the Home Depot. Another station, maybe near Lionsgate Drive and Two Notch.

Have a station near Columbia Place and build a connector above Two Notch for people to go across and use the mall lot as a huge Park 'n Ride. Then a station near Gary or Standish, in that neighborhood area. Ideally, it would be nice to "twin the line", if money becomes available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area