Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 02:16 PM

746 posts, read 750,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Columbia doesn't have the density to support rail; it's a non-starter.

BRT would be a much, much more reasonable option at this point.
It would not be very feasible to build a BRT system with dedicated right of way. I think what the poster was saying, is we should be looking at ways to set up a commuter system using existing tracks that, thankfully, already ride on routes that take people past the most congested routes to where they would like to be. The problem is working with the Track Owners on timing and building stations and acquiring diesel trains for such routes. No one who has a car will have much incentive to take a Bus on the same roads that have to deal with traffic. Now if you can get there by train in a faster amount of time, you might sway some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 06:08 AM

1,180 posts, read 986,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
It would not be very feasible to build a BRT system with dedicated right of way. I think what the poster was saying, is we should be looking at ways to set up a commuter system using existing tracks that, thankfully, already ride on routes that take people past the most congested routes to where they would like to be. The problem is working with the Track Owners on timing and building stations and acquiring diesel trains for such routes. No one who has a car will have much incentive to take a Bus on the same roads that have to deal with traffic. Now if you can get there by train in a faster amount of time, you might sway some people.
If it's true BRT(dedicated lanes, signal prioritization, off-board fare...) then it would incentivize people to use it. Once people hop on the commuter rail and get into the city how will they get around the city efficiently? Cleveland's BRT is a great and successful example. I don't think Columbia has the density to even support commuter rail.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:18 AM

757 posts, read 569,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
If it's true BRT(dedicated lanes, signal prioritization, off-board fare...) then it would incentivize people to use it. Once people hop on the commuter rail and get into the city how will they get around the city efficiently? Cleveland's BRT is a great and successful example. I don't think Columbia has the density to even support commuter rail.
True BRT (dedicated lanes) is probably politically unfeasible as it would involve blocking off a lane on the highway. You know how crazy people get over highways in Columbia.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:48 AM

1,154 posts, read 959,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
Actually commuter rail has been feasible in Columbia for the past few years. Ridership in general is climbing and people going into Downtown usually now take Uber Lyft or carpool.

You're talking to an Uber/ Lyft driver someone who shuttle people all the time morning afternoons evenings from Lexington Northeast Irmo.

They tell me all the time that they would love more Transit options on Columbia and a lot of them tell me rail transit from downtown to (insert area here) and a Downtown trolley.

Well the trolley part is "kinda" taken care of with the Soda Cap Connector. Now we need rail transit.

Trust me and Columbia don't even have to have 30 trains running back and fourth.

From Downtown to Newberry being the first line.
8 trains

2 express commuter ones directly from Newberry to Downtown and vice versa
2 Stopping every other stop
2 trains stopping every stop
2 extra trains for busy periods an big events. Such as football games, baseball, basketball, concerts, downtown events and or course USC in general being a hot spot.
Also morning and evening commute.

With our metro population nearing the 1 million Mark i think we're plenty ready for rail service.

I'll give you an example of how bad it is in Columbia now with commuting and traffic.2 days ago i left from Northeast to get back home in West Columbia i took 277 to downtown. Instantly got stuck on BullStreet at 5:02pm instead of going down Elmwood because it's a parking lot. I went down BullStreet into Gervais to get across the bridge. I didn't get across that bridge until 5.46pm

Now imagine someone living in Lexington working from downtown or Northeast driving. It'll take them well over an hour or more to get back and forth from home. Rail transit mixed with carpool/ Uber Lyft and Buses connecting everything people can get around way faster and more efficient. And i know people would start using it

Last edited by Growingup15; 08-04-2017 at 08:02 AM..

Old 08-04-2017, 07:40 AM

37,896 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
True BRT (dedicated lanes) is probably politically unfeasible as it would involve blocking off a lane on the highway. You know how crazy people get over highways in Columbia.
Or it could involve the creation of its own dedicated lane.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:14 AM

1,154 posts, read 959,371 times
Heres my Little Concept thing I drew up on Commuter rail in Columbia and I know it could work.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4362/3...b39bd484_o.png

Old 08-04-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Or it could involve the creation of its own dedicated lane.
Adding a lane onto a highway or building a separate interior track (like HOT lanes) is even more expensive than simply putting up road delineators (the flexible orange or yellow three foot posts).

Old 08-04-2017, 04:02 PM

37,896 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Adding a lane onto a highway or building a separate interior track (like HOT lanes) is even more expensive than simply putting up road delineators (the flexible orange or yellow three foot posts).
Of course but it would probably be more palatable to voters.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Of course but it would probably be more palatable to voters.
My point is that any restriction of highway lanes is politically untenable. Commuter rail is a much easier sell if it is not prohibitively expensive (i.e. costs do not include construction of new rail). The challenge with trains, though, is that people tend to see them as tourist draws rather than viable forms of transport.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:40 AM

12,933 posts, read 18,787,237 times
I drove down Market Street in downtown Charleston this morning. The span from the south side of South Market to the north side of North Market is no wider, if as wide, than Assembly Street, and the market sits in the middle for several blocks. Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area