Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 03:23 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
There is no way you actually used any data source to come up with those numbers.

Census Links to community survey data-

Richland County HHI Estimates - https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...w.xhtml?src=CF
Charleston County HHI Estimates - https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...w.xhtml?src=CF
Greenville County HHI Estimates - https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...w.xhtml?src=CF

Median HHI Estimates

Richland - 2015 49,131 2017 52,082
Charleston - 2015 53,437 2017 57,882
Greenville - 2015 50,540 2017 53,739

This is from the Bureau of Economic Analysis

Per capita personal income1 Percent change from preceding period Dollars Rank in State Percent change Rank in State

2015 2016 2017 Rank 16% 17% Rank

US 48,940 49,831 51,640 1.8 3.6

SC 39,424 40,312 41,633 2.3 3.3

Charleston 53,816 55,386 57,281 1 2.9 3.4 23

Greenville 44,475 44,799 46,066 4 0.7 2.8 38

Richland 41,946 42,423 43,863 8 1.1 3.4 25

Go to the site …. Department of Numbers …. a helicopter view … with links directly back to the data source of the data.... Ive used them regularly on presentations and written reports …. and have never found them to be incorrect ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 04:02 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
Go to the site …. Department of Numbers …. a helicopter view … with links directly back to the data source of the data.... Ive used them regularly on presentations and written reports …. and have never found them to be incorrect ...
Your calculations must be incorrect then. In any case, the numbers directly from a federal government source are much more reliable than from a third-party "Department of Numbers."

Old 05-03-2019, 05:00 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,561,264 times
We don't need pedestrian skywalks over Assembly, we need it narrowed from 6 to 4 lanes, with a nice median with landscaping and/or statues/monuments, widened sidewalks and perhaps angled parking on 1 side. This is what would connect Main Street and the Vista.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:08 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Assembly St is almost like a wall/moat separating two parts of downtown. That gash has to be closed/narrowed.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:39 PM

1,124 posts, read 925,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
We don't need pedestrian skywalks over Assembly, we need it narrowed from 6 to 4 lanes, with a nice median with landscaping and/or statues/monuments, widened sidewalks and perhaps angled parking on 1 side. This is what would connect Main Street and the Vista.
Well, that and Assembly needs to attract better businesses that the majority of the community would go to NOT on a special occasion. Like some restaurants. Some that come to mind, a downtown Chicfila, a Little Caesar’s (not one for miles), Bonefish, Brusters, Culver’s, Tupelo Honey, Zaxbys, P. F. Chang’s, Panda Express, TGIFridays, the list really does go on. Shoot, I’d even say another downtown grocery store, and while I do hope BullStreet gets a Downtown Target or even SuperTarget, I would not mind if they found space on Assembly somehow for something like TraderJoes/Whole Foods/Fresh Market. It doesn’t have to be them as I know they’re all not too far away, but something like them. And the last thing they’ll need to be super successful on Assembly would be more full time residents. Which is why I wish the Edge would get built already.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:11 PM

Why are you listing suburban chains? I can think of nothing I'd want less in downtown Columbia. The physical street needs to be made more hospitable before restaurants, etc. are going to locate there.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:14 AM

1,124 posts, read 925,204 times
Quote:
Why are you listing suburban chains? I can think of nothing I'd want less in downtown Columbia. The physical street needs to be made more hospitable before restaurants, etc. are going to locate there.
Literally nothing but suburban chains in the Vista and isn’t that our little darling? Longhorn, Starbucks, Panera, Marble Slab, Mellow Mushroom, Twin Peaks, Wet Willies. Yeah, real high class stuff. Be realistic. We can hope for better, but those are the things that would work for sure. Idk about you, but I can’t afford to feed a family of 4 at somewhere like Cowboy Brazilian or the Blue Marlin everyday. So if that’s all that were on Assembly, sorry, but that street wouldn’t get much of my business yet alone many others. And my literal first sentence in regards to narrowing the street was, “Well, that and Assembly needs to attract better businesses that the majority of the community would go to NOT on a special occasion.” So that includes taking care of the street, I could care less the order it happens as long as it happens. And it also means not just restaurants, but all average joe businesses in general. Not to say that’s what I want, I’d love some homegrown businesses. But we aren’t Dallas or Miami or anything and shouldn’t act like we can fully compete with them. Not every single business is gonna be mom and pop type. That’s not just unrealistic to think, it’s delusional.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:24 AM

I don't go to those chains in the Vista, either.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:00 PM

34 posts, read 31,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Literally nothing but suburban chains in the Vista and isn’t that our little darling? Longhorn, Starbucks, Panera, Marble Slab, Mellow Mushroom, Twin Peaks, Wet Willies. Yeah, real high class stuff. Be realistic. We can hope for better, but those are the things that would work for sure. Idk about you, but I can’t afford to feed a family of 4 at somewhere like Cowboy Brazilian or the Blue Marlin everyday. So if that’s all that were on Assembly, sorry, but that street wouldn’t get much of my business yet alone many others. And my literal first sentence in regards to narrowing the street was, “Well, that and Assembly needs to attract better businesses that the majority of the community would go to NOT on a special occasion.” So that includes taking care of the street, I could care less the order it happens as long as it happens. And it also means not just restaurants, but all average joe businesses in general. Not to say that’s what I want, I’d love some homegrown businesses. But we aren’t Dallas or Miami or anything and shouldn’t act like we can fully compete with them. Not every single business is gonna be mom and pop type. That’s not just unrealistic to think, it’s delusional.

The cost to lease or own is very high in the Vista area. Thus we are going to end up with mid-high to fine dining restaurants, like Cola's (on assembly) or Motor Supply, Blue Marlin, etc. More inexpensive local options (retail, food, etc.) are not in that area, or do not last that long as there is the realty of being able to turn a profit and that is greatly impacted by overhead (rent/taxes, etc). There is also a shortage of spaces that are for lease or sale as only a handful of people own most of the real estate in the area.

Conversely, those higher end restaurants do make it in the vista as they do the volume necessary to make it worth their while. But the market is only so large and we have a low saturation point for how many fine dining restaurants downtown Columbia can support.

Outside of the higher end, independent restaurants, only the larger chains can afford to take up residency in the Vista.

Some areas in the downtown are not conducive to everyday, normal Joe type establishments. That's why a lot of those types of stores are in the less expensive areas of town. The cost to run a business in the downtown area is what it is because of supply and demand. The downtown is one of the few areas in Columbia where people with income are concentrated because of government and the business located there.

The only way we end up with a grocery store and other major retail will be for more people to live downtown. The city had been trying to get a grocery store on or near main street for nearly twenty years.

Speaking of Assembly street, many people do not know that the reason the street is so wide is because for decades the farmers market ran straight down the middle of Assembly. The buildings were reminiscent of the buildings in Charleston in the old slave market.
In fact, if you look at the median you can still see where they paved over the building foundation outlines.

Last edited by quibbs; 05-04-2019 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-04-2019, 02:27 PM

1,153 posts, read 954,699 times
Quote:
It's a Main thoroughfare making it smaller wouldn't help that. Tunnels, Skywalks, Better times lights is the answer.

From my meeting with the city in the beginning of April they are exploring the idea for Tunnels under Assembly connecting Main Street to The Vista. That was before I shown then my Skywalk, Tunnel Pedestrian network idea for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area