Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 02:08 PM

1,154 posts, read 957,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
NO MORE STADIUMS. That said, the Panthers at Williams-Brice would be awesome.
That was the original plans when the Panthers first became a team. USC said NO! because they didn't want it to take away from USC money.

Now if USC changed their tune that could happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 07:07 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,275,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
NO MORE STADIUMS. That said, the Panthers at Williams-Brice would be awesome.
Ah yes, good point about the stadiums. Atta way to bring me back down to reality lol Although going off of what cjseliga said, a 5,000-10,000 seat stadium wouldn't be mind boggling expensive (on the lower end of the price range, I saw other stadiums around $3-$5 million); so who knows, something to think about a decade down the road or something like that.

Random question, does anyone know if the dual branded hotel on Gervais street (formerly the Clarion hotel) is going to be open in time for the NCAA tournament? I was reading articles going all the way back to 2014 and they were saying that it would be completed by 2016. Hell, they could have built 2 dual branded hotels back to back in the same amount of time Lol

Old 03-19-2019, 08:11 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Ah yes, good point about the stadiums. Atta way to bring me back down to reality lol Although going off of what cjseliga said, a 5,000-10,000 seat stadium wouldn't be mind boggling expensive (on the lower end of the price range, I saw other stadiums around $3-$5 million); so who knows, something to think about a decade down the road or something like that.
Technically, they could just play soccer at Segra Park where the Fireflies play if they wanted. It's less than ideal with the seating configuration, but other minor league parks do it and even the new Yankee Stadium does it for New York City FC over the last 4 years and continuing while they bicker and fight over where to build their new permanent home.

The big issues, besides the seating configuration, with using baseball parks, is being able to schedule games and the turn around time because you have to remove the mound and then replace it every time and lay down grass over the infield.

Or even use Founders Park for a minor league soccer team, since USC is out of there by the middle of May, but I'm sure the university might be less than warm to allow that, even if they were being paid rent by the team.

For a new 5,000-10,000 seat stadium, you don't necessarily need all the bells and whistles, but you still need a place to fit a regulation field, have parking for all those people, locker rooms, concessions and restrooms.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:01 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,847,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post

Random question, does anyone know if the dual branded hotel on Gervais street (formerly the Clarion hotel) is going to be open in time for the NCAA tournament? I was reading articles going all the way back to 2014 and they were saying that it would be completed by 2016. Hell, they could have built 2 dual branded hotels back to back in the same amount of time Lol
According to the website they’re only accepting reservations starting in November. And the Patel’s must be going thorough financial or contractor troubles to have taken 5 years on a hotel. Plan also fell through for the Keenan building a few years ago too.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:00 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,275,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Technically, they could just play soccer at Segra Park where the Fireflies play if they wanted. It's less than ideal with the seating configuration, but other minor league parks do it and even the new Yankee Stadium does it for New York City FC over the last 4 years and continuing while they bicker and fight over where to build their new permanent home.

The big issues, besides the seating configuration, with using baseball parks, is being able to schedule games and the turn around time because you have to remove the mound and then replace it every time and lay down grass over the infield.

Or even use Founders Park for a minor league soccer team, since USC is out of there by the middle of May, but I'm sure the university might be less than warm to allow that, even if they were being paid rent by the team.

For a new 5,000-10,000 seat stadium, you don't necessarily need all the bells and whistles, but you still need a place to fit a regulation field, have parking for all those people, locker rooms, concessions and restrooms.
That’s true, it wouldn’t be sexy but having the team play at the baseball stadium would be a good way to gauge support and then maybe build a small stadium in the future. I hope it works out, I’d certainly support a soccer team and honestly would make it out to more of those games than the Fireflies.

A nice write up for Duke fans heading to Columbia. Supposedly, 99% of hotel rooms are taken in downtown area as well as Lexington, Harbison and Garners Ferry at 90% capacity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wfm...7-a5bfcb64a891

Old 03-20-2019, 11:05 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

Seems like the old Capital City stadium site would work. Raleigh is actually getting ready to build a soccer stadium (regardless as to whether to get an MLS expansion team or not) in the southeast part of town in an Opportunity Zone, which is smart on their part from a financing perspective. https://www.wralsportsfan.com/soccer...eigh/18269178/

Old 03-20-2019, 06:12 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,568,167 times
I'm sure there will also be a lot of Air BNB rooms available.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:08 PM

A bit random, but Columbia should consider wrapping at least some of its parking decks in public art or covering them with hanging plants. It's a relatively inexpensive move that would help improve the urban aesthetic.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:41 AM

1,154 posts, read 957,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A bit random, but Columbia should consider wrapping at least some of its parking decks in public art or covering them with hanging plants. It's a relatively inexpensive move that would help improve the urban aesthetic.
Yes that would be nice but I can already hear the old folks whining that it'll be a waste of tax money.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:48 AM

A write-up in the P&C about Columbia hosting the NCAA tournament with a few pics: https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...5af734c35.html
Attached Thumbnails
Columbia - general-20190321_104540.jpg   Columbia - general-20190321_104502.jpg   Columbia - general-20190321_104430.jpg   Columbia - general-20190321_104359.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area