Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 10:02 AM

1,124 posts, read 925,871 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI, not really a big deal or anything, starting on the first of the year they should be tearing down the Circle K on Harbison and the Subway and rebuilding the Circle K as one of the newer, bigger models with brick lined pumps. Hopefully the new design will ease traffic flow around that intersection too with people turning in and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 01:05 PM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Default Speaking of Harbison.....

I wonder why the Harbison Association doesn't simply encourage the entire development to be annexed into Columbia? There are nearly 2000 homes if I am not mistaken in Harbison and that doesn't include apartments. Seems like since it is a "neighborhood" it could be easily annexed rather than the piecemeal approach that has been occurring. Likely boost the city's population by at least 5,000....I suspect that people may be against it because you would be paying County Taxes, HOA and now City taxes which may be untenable for some....but they are nearly surrounded

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...!4d-81.0348144

Old 12-27-2018, 02:17 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,845,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I wonder why the Harbison Association doesn't simply encourage the entire development to be annexed into Columbia? There are nearly 2000 homes if I am not mistaken in Harbison and that doesn't include apartments. Seems like since it is a "neighborhood" it could be easily annexed rather than the piecemeal approach that has been occurring. Likely boost the city's population by at least 5,000....I suspect that people may be against it because you would be paying County Taxes, HOA and now City taxes which may be untenable for some....but they are nearly surrounded

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...!4d-81.0348144
I wish they’d pass something that said if your property is surrounded by a city limit it must be annexed. That would save costs and response times.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:35 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I wish they’d pass something that said if your property is surrounded by a city limit it must be annexed. That would save costs and response times.
Seems like "donut holes" legislation has gotten introduced in the Legislature for the last couple of years but has gone nowhere. SC remains such an anti-urban state in spite of all of the urban growth that's occurring.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Seems like "donut holes" legislation has gotten introduced in the Legislature for the last couple of years but has gone nowhere. SC remains such an anti-urban state in spite of all of the urban growth that's occurring.
One would think they could put caveats on that such as if you are in a MSA or surrounded by a municipality of over a certain population that is providing XYZ municipal services to the affected residents and the donut hole is under x size.... Granted if I lived outside Mayesville or Eastover and they somehow surrounded me I may protest to high hell on being forced in.But in a Columbia Greenville Spartanburg Rock Hill etc it doesn't make much sense.

Notice I didn't say Charleston /North Charleston which is the reason why I believe such a law wil never pass. Many of the folks outside these cities and on the high end island communities don't want to be annexed and fight it tooth and nail which is why it will never get called to the floor for a vote in the state house. The other powerful lobby are SC Counties who don't want to have their political clout subsumed by their city council colleagues who will only grow more powerful as their boundaries expand. Throw in efforts by the likes of Mayor Benjamin to do creative financing with property taxes and you have a sizable block of opposition. I think the tide will turn only in Counties that become more urban and suburban. The rural blocks will resist as well. All SC Counties still have large swaths of rural areas that still have some clout around property rights and land use ... though it may be declining in a few places

Last edited by Woodlands; 12-28-2018 at 06:42 AM..

Old 12-29-2018, 11:51 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,337,208 times
Predictions for coolest Columbia announcement of 2019?

Old 12-30-2018, 10:41 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
A renovated Babcock building being home to a new hotel or residential development
The Kline site being developed into something close to the original plans
On the economic front, a big insurance or tech announcement with the jobs going downtown

Old 01-02-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post

Some large but cool anchor development in NoMa and construction on the old Gonzales Gardens site......

Old 01-02-2019, 08:52 PM

1,154 posts, read 955,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Some large but cool anchor development in NoMa and construction on the old Gonzales Gardens site......
Construction is already happening at the old Gonzales Gardens site now.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:03 AM

755 posts, read 566,930 times
Columbia Metropolitan Magazine (which I had never heard of) did what ended up being a real puff piece on Pastides, but it's interesting to see the way he perceives himself and the job he did over the past ten years. There's nothing new here, but it's worth a read if you have some spare time.

https://columbiametro.com/article/us...te-and-future/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area