Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 05:01 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,368,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
True. I saw another report about Richland’s spike in crime. Actually, they say, the city’s stats have been trending downward.
Most of the crime in the city is moving to the County I was looking at some data maps that were published as part of the city's 2030 visioning effort and was stunned by the amount of poverty that has shifted from the city center to areas of the County. Areas like St Andrews, Dentsville, Capital View/Lower Richland and parts of the older sections of NE Richland along with some of the existing pockets of poverty in the county like Lower Richland , Bluff Road Corridor and North Main/Fairfield/ Monticello Corridors. Some of these areas have or are now struggling with rise in crime.

There are only a handful of high crime areas in the city proper and they are usually centered around substandard poorly managed apartment complexes and duplexes. The city is focusing in on those properties now with stepped up code enforcement and this proposed incentive program that may result in some of these complexes being renovated or removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 07:23 PM

1,154 posts, read 957,133 times
https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...222612425.html

400+ apartments, a hotel and more could be on tap for 3 Columbia sites

Old 12-05-2018, 08:06 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,568,167 times
I'll take all 3.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:04 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Columbia, take notes!

The Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce is embarking on a new, long-term strategy to increase the marketability and competitiveness of Spartanburg County as a premier location for corporate business and with it, more white-collar, knowledge-based jobs...

In an interview following his promotion, Tidmore emphasized that Spartanburg will not be reluctant to tout its assets and capabilities “’cause it’s a great story to tell, and it’s one that, maybe sometimes, we’ve been shy about telling,” he said.

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/s...nt-initiative/

Old 12-10-2018, 10:37 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,275,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Columbia, take notes!

The Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce is embarking on a new, long-term strategy to increase the marketability and competitiveness of Spartanburg County as a premier location for corporate business and with it, more white-collar, knowledge-based jobs...

In an interview following his promotion, Tidmore emphasized that Spartanburg will not be reluctant to tout its assets and capabilities “’cause it’s a great story to tell, and it’s one that, maybe sometimes, we’ve been shy about telling,” he said.

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/s...nt-initiative/
Wow, funny how you were just talking about that! Maybe I should send this link to Mayor Benjamin...

Old 12-11-2018, 06:15 AM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Spartanburg was really hot in the mid-80’s.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:54 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Wow, funny how you were just talking about that! Maybe I should send this link to Mayor Benjamin...
It was as if on cue. And send it to the mayor, the local chamber of commerce, and other economic development groups in the region.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:56 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,275,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It was as if on cue. And send it to the mayor, the local chamber of commerce, and other economic development groups in the region.
I can get on that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...222612425.html

400+ apartments, a hotel and more could be on tap for 3 Columbia sites
A bit random and I may have brought this up before, but it lists a 280 room hotel at Kline site. Trying to envision how tall of a hotel this would be. For reference, I did a quick search and the embassy Suites on Greystone is 218 rooms and it’s 7 stories laid out on a large plat of land. Imagine if this proposed hotel could sit on top of the parking garage then this could amount to a very nice mid-rise. Always hoping for some “vertical”.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:29 AM

1,154 posts, read 957,133 times
Quote:
I can get on that...

A bit random and I may have brought this up before, but it lists a 280 room hotel at Kline site. Trying to envision how tall of a hotel this would be. For reference, I did a quick search and the embassy Suites on Greystone is 218 rooms and it’s 7 stories laid out on a large plat of land. Imagine if this proposed hotel could sit on top of the parking garage then this could amount to a very nice mid-rise. Always hoping for some “vertical”.
The original plan called for a Hotel Tower there. Maybe it got Downsized due to the market.

But that can't be right because we're in need of more hotels in downtown.

I hope it at least hits 10 floors would finally start spreading the skyline towards the river and hopefully this will kicked m kick of now development in that land

Old 12-12-2018, 02:36 AM

757 posts, read 568,034 times
Quote:
I'm glad you flagged the number, I hadn't noticed. For comparison, the Hilton in the Vista has 222 rooms. Of course it's hard to compare the hotels exactly since I believe the Hilton has a decent amount of meeting space, but either way the proposed hotel is pretty sizeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area