Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 11:03 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,454,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Colorado Public Radio has been doing a piece on the major communities in Colorado that have not enjoyed the benefits of the economic recovery following the Great Recession. The communities that are high-lighted are Colorado Springs (too much dependence on federal welfare in terms of military spending), Grand Junction (missing out on the oil and gas boom due to a) lack of oil, and b) an onerous regulatory environment), and Pueblo (because it's Pueblo):
I do not know much about Grand Junction but I have been saying for years, on this and other sites when I was on them, that Colorado Springs is too dependent on the military and it will come back to hurt them. People disagreed with me but lately I feel vindicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Decades later, Pueblo still reeling from steel exodus | CPR

The article does highlight a commentary that Josseppie has made regarding the mindset in Pueblo that education beyond high school is not necessary to make a liking. But, it also mentions that manufacturers have struggled with employee retention because of a lack of strong work ethic in the community and a lack of high-skilled workers.

Oh, and it mentions Pueblo's insecurity complex regarding the fair relocating.
I agree with this, thanks for posting it. This highlights the problem even in manufacturing where even that industry needs high skilled workers today and many people in Pueblo do not understand that. I think until people realize that here you will continue to see a issue with education. Also, Denver needs to stop trying to take the fair. That has been going on for over 100 years and its not going anywhere as its about to top 500,000 guests. You compare it to the National Western Stock Show that gets a little over 600,000 people in the Denver area with a population of over 3 million and that is not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 PM

304 posts, read 343,947 times
The western slope was indeed dependent on mining, especially during the cold war. I'm going to have to search for the link, but if I recall, back when Pueblo was granted the fair they were also told that they must also take what was then called the Colorado State Insane Asylum. This was many years ago, and came as a package deal. I'm not having much luck in my research, Joss??

Old 08-28-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmedpoet View Post
The western slope was indeed dependent on mining, especially during the cold war. I'm going to have to search for the link, but if I recall, back when Pueblo was granted the fair they were also told that they must also take what was then called the Colorado State Insane Asylum. This was many years ago, and came as a package deal. I'm not having much luck in my research, Joss??
The fair is a separate deal.

This is a brief history:

Colorado became a state in 1876 and before the Colorado flag flew high, the State Fair was already earning its place in history.

In 1869, approximately 2,000 people converged on what is now Pueblo for a horse exhibition; and from that meager beginning was born the Colorado State Fair.

The Fair continues to call Pueblo home, and in fact, has only cancelled once during its entire history. In 1917, during World War I, the Fairgrounds' horse stables and open space offered an ideal training facility for the Army National Guard.

Since then, the Colorado State Fair has developed into the largest summer event in the State and offers families a fun, educational summer vacation!

The link: http://www.coloradostatefair.com/p/about-the-fair/147

The history of the state hospital is much more colorful. Back in the 1870's Pueblo was the second largest city in the state and complained that all the state government was locating in Denver. Pueblo was given a choice of the state hospital, Colorado University or the prisons. Pueblo picked the state hospital as it was a large concentration of employees, to this day with all the agencies there its the highest concentration of state employees outside of Denver.

Today its easy to question Pueblo's choice but you have to remember the mindset back then. Getting a college degree was not critical as it is today and college towns really did not see much growth. A interesting thing to add was later when Pueblo wanted a 4 year college Denver did all it could to block it. It took a powerful and well liked state senator Vincent Massari to overcome this and he got Southern Colorado State College that become USC and finally CSU Pueblo. That is why the gym is named Massari arena.

He was involved with political activities and served for twenty-two years as a Democratic Senator and Representative in the Colorado legislature. As a politician, he spent considerable effort in fighting for a four-year college and university for Pueblo.

The link: https://archon.colostate-pueblo.edu/...trolcard&id=18

Old 09-03-2014, 08:46 AM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default Crappy economic results

America's Fastest-Growing Small Cities | Newgeography.com

Pueblo is #144
Not good at all.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-03-2014 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: 144 not 140

Old 09-03-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
It all depends on context. Compare Pueblo to other manufacturing towns and we are the peak performer. The city is growing, slowly but it is growing, and new companies are moving here. The CSA is over 200,000 and the downtown is growing with our major highways going to be expanded in the next 5 years. Would I like a better economy and little faster growing city? Sure but considering where we came from in the 80's and where all the other manufacturing towns are now (look at Gary, Youngstown and Detroit) I am pleased with what Pueblo has done.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-03-2014 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: 144 not 140

Old 09-03-2014, 01:34 PM

17,996 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Where do you get that the csa is over 200k?

With Pueblo at about 108k, you're saying that the rest of the county is 92k.

Show me those stats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I believe Fremont County is included (and that I've questioned this before ).
Fremont County is not Pueblo County.

I would lump Fremont cty with Custer cty, not Pueblo county.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The Pueblo Canon City CSA is the 134th largest in the nation.
How many CSAs are there? 140?

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-03-2014 at 02:46 PM..

Old 09-03-2014, 01:39 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Where do you get that the csa is over 200k?

With Pueblo at about 108k, you're saying that the rest of the county is 92k.

Show me those stats.
I believe Fremont County is included (and that I've questioned this before ).

Old 09-03-2014, 01:55 PM

The Pueblo Canon City is a CSA now and it about 208,000 people. It was first posted in post #498 on this thread. Here is another source to look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tistical_Areas

The Pueblo Canon City CSA is the 134th largest in the nation.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

How many CSAs are there? 140?
HA! No there are 166.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:41 PM

Tonight is the bell game between Pueblo Central and Pueblo Centennial. Since this is the oldest rivalry west of he Mississippi I will post some pictures of the game tonight as I am going, I went to Central. The game is nearly sold out and should be sold out at kickoff.

This is from Wiki:

The Bell Game is a yearly contest between two Pueblo, Colorado high schools: Central High School and Centennial High School. They have been playing each other since 1892 in what is touted as the oldest football rivalry west of the Mississippi River and the largest sports event of its kind in Colorado. The rivalry is sometimes referred to as the "One Hundred Year War". Since the mid-1950s the teams have played to gain ownership of the trophy Bell and get to paint it their respective colors and host in their school for sporting events and school activities.

The link: The Bell Game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado