Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 04:00 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times

Advertisements

2009 was a tough year to do this recession that is as bad if not worse then the any I have seen since the economic collapse of the 1980's. That being said there was some developments proposed or that took place in Pueblo and this is my top 10 list for 2009. Because my list ended up being so long I have decided to divide it up into two days. So this is my second of a two day report on the top 10 stories in Pueblo for 2009.

5 Pueblo Chemical Depot

This continues to have a big impact in Pueblo and will so for years to come. Then hopefully once its finished they can make a transition to a solar field and possibly some solar R&D.

The full Senate on Tuesday approved a defense bill that includes $154.4 million for weapons destruction at Pueblo Chemical Depot.

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain Online :: Senate OKs $154.4 million OK'd for Chem Depot

Land east of Pueblo could become home to one the nation's largest solar power fields.

Helios Energy Partners, a consortium of firms seeking to build a 200- to 300-megawatt solar plant, met with Pueblo County commissioners this week about the estimated $900 million project.

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain Online :: Solar company eyes Pueblo

The federal government paid to have this highway expanded due to the depot.
************************************************** ***********************************************
4. Pueblo continues to attract corporate headquarters as 2 moved here and 1 expanded.

Legecy Bank

Legacy Bank's latest Pueblo addition is a signature $3.1 million headquarters building under construction in University Park in the aged shopping center formerly anchored by a Wal-Mart.

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain Online :: Bank seeks to add to city's legacy

The Water Company

A local company will announce its expansion today, adding jobs that will be the "highest-paying" jobs the Pueblo Economic Development Corp. has ever delivered to the city.

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain Online :: Pueblo firm to add high-pay jobs

Big R Stores

This one is bitter sweet as I dont want to see Pueblo grow at the expense of Lamar but they were going to move the question was would they move to Pueblo or the Springs or Denver. I am glad they picked Pueblo.

Big R moving headquarters to Pueblo

The Pueblo Economic Development Corp. on Tuesday welcomed to town a longtime Lamar farm equipment company that has chosen to relocate its warehouse and corporate offices here.

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain Online :: Big R moving headquarters to Pueblo

************************************************** ***********************************************
3 Riverwalk

The Riverwalk continues to be the bright spot in Pueblo's downtown, even during this recession. There are many developments underway and more proposed.

Also, it has already become Pueblo's signature. A good example was I was listening 92.9 and when they did the weather they said in Colorado Springs it is 58 and in Pueblo on the Riverwalk its 62.
Here are some pictures of the latest developments underway or proposed on the Riverwalk in 2009.

The proposed expanded convention center, new hotels, condos and retail space etc.

************************************************** **************************************************
2. Vesta's and the new St. Charles industrial park.

Vesta's wind tower plant came on line this year and with it being the worlds largest plant should help Pueblo get out of the recession. Plus the new industrial park Pueblo added to our portfolio, the only one of its kind in southern Colorado, should help us recruit large industrial and alternative energy companies in the future.

They are also having a impact on PCC by making it their primary source to train new employees. That should help Pueblo as we try to attract more alternative energy companies.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***
1. CSU Pueblo

Simply by having a major university puts Pueblo in a elite class as not many cities and towns in the United States are home to a major university. Then with the growth of CSU Pueblo and the kind of impact a larger university will have on the region makes this my number 1 story for 2009. Here is a article in the Chieftain talking about the growth of the university:

Growth, change greet CSU-Pueblo students

So much is happening, CSU-Pueblo President Joe Garcia said the school must rethink its role.
"We are making fresh tracks in new territory for this university," CSU-Pueblo President Joe Garcia told employees Tuesday morning at his annual state-of-the-university address held on the patio of Crestone Hall, the university's new residence hall.

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain Online :: Growth, change greet CSU-Pueblo students

wolf village @CSU P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 AM

Talking Wish list for 2010

I decided against a top 10 wish list for 2010 because its hard to decide what project I consider to be more important. So instead I came up with a wish list of 10 projects I would like to see done or started in 2010. When the year is over I will go back and see if any of my wish's happened.

In no particular order here is my list:

- Pueblo Springs Annexation

I would like to see this area annexed and development started.

- CSU Pueblo/ Thunder Village/ R&D parks

I combined those together as they kind of help each other out. So I would like to see continued growth at CSU Pueblo and to have Thunder Village see more development and finally to have the new R&D park start.

- Riverwalk/ courthouse

I would like to see the major development on the Riverwalk and the new courthouse break ground.

- Vesta's/ industrial park

I would like to see phase 2 start with Vestas, the new foundry, and more companies move into the industrial park.

- Solar power plant/ Natural gas power plant

I would like to see both break ground in 2010

- PEDCo

I would like to see them continue to recruit more companies. Possibly some headquarters and the new boulder truck company as well as more alternative energy companies.

- Serento

I know this development has stalled due to the economy but I would like to see the current developer or a new developer break ground on the project.

- Airport

I would like to see more flights out of Pueblo and possibly a bigger plane.

- High Speed train

I know it won't start for years but I would like to see some movement on the idea.

- Colorado Energy Park

Again I know this won't happen for years but I would like to see some concrete movement in the project.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:50 AM

16 posts, read 58,246 times
Spent seven days over the Thanksgiving holiday in Pueblo. Usually when I visit my family there, it's on my way somewhere else, but this year I wanted to spend the entire time there taking it all in (we will be potentially moving back in a few years).

My mother has been telling me about all of the changes "back home," but I wasn't prepared for the wow factor of my old stompin' grounds.

First off, the Riverwalk is stunning. Lovely, peaceful, and a centerpiece.

Highly recommend Wireworks Coffee or the nearby Daily Grind - we were equal regulars at both.

Union Avenue shops - great way to spend a day (and lighten your wallet).

Nice to see that some things haven't changed, like the Mill Stop, and Coors Tavern (hubby is a slopper virgin no more--ha). The Irish Pub has a new name, but thankfully it hasn't changed (except for the new excellent menu). Lots of good food. Wish we had time to visit Angelo's Pizza and a list of other restaurants.

Love all of the sculptures around downtown. The art vibe there is amazing. Recommend Don Campbell's Bookstore Ever Changing Art Gallery(next to Daily Grind). Lots of new, young, talented artists on display (both the art and books at very reasonable prices).

The library is gorgeous. It just won "library of the year" and can understand why. Would love to see more activity on Abriendo. That stretch of shops is a perfect location for an art house movie theatre (for docs and foreign films), and galleries. Sorry the health food store closed, but Vitamin Cottage was well stocked and the staff was incredibly helpful to me (I'm a vegetarian).

Was surprised some of the thrift stores had closed, but I still found a lots of old local records (what I collect), at the Goodwill in Belmont and the ARC - on that note, bummer that Record Reunion is still closed.

The new buildings compliment the old ones. Glad to see that the historic structures aren't eclipsed by tacky high rises. Wanted to check out the new lofts around the depot, but some things will have to wait until the next visit.

As a student at the old USC, I love how the university is transforming. Hope they don't have plans to tear down or remodel the signature building, since you can see it practically from the Springs!

Just a wonderful visit. While I admit I was probably more of a tourist on this trip, we did do some fact finding, and it really opened our eyes to where we want our next zip code to be.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:26 AM

Thank you for your post! You have noted some things that I have not. It's always nice to get another persons perspective and now I will go back out and look at some of the things you brought up.

As far as CSU P and the Library. They are in the process of remodeling it so I am hoping it will look better when done!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:28 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Glad you enjoyed yourself LL.

Yeah, we miss Ambrosias too. It's supposed to become a weed dispenser or something.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:22 PM

They are done with the remodel of the old Minnequa Bank Building in Pueblo. I like how it looks.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:25 PM

631 posts, read 1,575,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post

They are done with the remodel of the old Minnequa Bank Building in Pueblo. I like how it looks.
Looks pretty nice.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:51 PM

These are a few of the construction projects going on in Pueblo.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:48 PM

Talking Ktsc-tv

KTSC-TV is the PBS station for southern Colorado. This is the main office and master control located on the campus of CSU - Pueblo.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:25 PM

8 posts, read 27,683 times
Josseppi

I am from western Michigan and have spent the past two hours reading the threads. Love the pics! Was there when riverwalk was not quite completed a couple years ago, and am surprised at all the building activity going on all over town. My husband and I would like to relocate in the area somewhere, but have not decided as to exactly where, yet. We visited canon city and surrounding areas, also; but being tourist destinations seemed quite expensive for real estate. Pueblo sounds more like what we would be interested in. By the sounds of things, the bad economy hasn't damaged growth there, so should be no trouble finding jobs?? Also, the weather sounds beautiful there compared to the dark, sunless Michigan winters. Hopefully, we will be able to sell our home here and move there within the year. Thanks again for posting all the great pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado