Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 08:42 AM

13 posts, read 23,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimara View Post
I'm very new here and I was wondering if this Pueblo sub-board included towns such as Durango (I know, kind of far west) and Trinidad (not too far to the south I think)? I'm wondering because I'm thinking about road-tripping through southern-ish Colorado next month and I was planning on stopping in both Durango and Trinidad (maybe even Pueblo) and was wondering if you all had any suggestions as to where to stay, what to see and do in each place. I'm planning on spending a few days in each place, so I have some time, I'm just hoping this is the right place to post this request. I'd love to hear whatever you might have to say, I figure if anyone knows these places it's the people on this board, thanks.
Our daughter lives in Durango--if you are out that way make sure to take the trip up to Silverton--there's a train you can take--its a bit pricey--the drive up is GORGEOUS!!Silverton is a beautiful lil town--still a lot of the "old west" look to it & the people there are wonderful! Yea its a bit "touristy" but that's how those folks make their living.If you're into history/historical sites...take the drive from Silverton up to Animas--a preserved ghost town/mining town...the landscape you will see is simply overwhelming! Have fun on your trip...SW CO is terrific with tons of great places to eat (NOT the chains)and some of the most wonderful people we've EVER met
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 12:05 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
We are in a recession so I expected cut backs but overall I am having a good time and I look for the fair to grow in the coming decade as Pueblo grows!

Old 09-12-2009, 04:01 PM

Pueblo West was a mistake from the beginning and should of been in the city limits that way it would not have been as spread out as it is. I have more confidence that Pueblo Springs and other developments that will be in the city will not be anything like Pueblo West. If it does I will scream.

Good luck. How about the movie theater, they always seem to be hiring.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:30 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Pueblo West was a mistake from the beginning and should of been in the city limits that way it would not have been as spread out as it is...
I kind of like Pueblo West the way it is. It don't seem so spread out when you have a tchort. You gotta tchort. It's got 4 wheels and an engine. It tchortens the distance from "A" to "B".

Old 09-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I kind of like Pueblo West the way it is. It don't seem so spread out when you have a tchort. You gotta tchort. It's got 4 wheels and an engine. It tchortens the distance from "A" to "B".
To me its suburban sprawl at its worse. I am not a urbanist and always am reminded that by my friends who are but I feel they could of done a much better job of developing Pueblo West with better roads and sidewalks for people to walk on etc. I like the plans for Pueblo Springs 1000 times better and am glad the city is going to annex it instead of yet another suburb taking people out of the city.

I want Pueblo to grow but not how the Springs has grown, it is nothing but a mess now, both financially and geographically speaking.

Last edited by Josseppie; 09-17-2009 at 10:45 AM..

Old 10-03-2009, 10:07 AM

4 posts, read 11,167 times
First of Josseppie, kudos to you and your work with promoting Pueblo. I will be living in Pueblo for a month in November and would like to learn more about your city before I pack my bags.

1. Weather/temperature - Snow & desert? From viewing pictures online, I see the landscape is somewhat of desert/arid high prairie but the area get snow too! As a Canadian, snow and sand is only something we see on the highways from December through March.

2. Eats - What are you top 5 places to eat in Pueblo?

3. Attractions - I will have my weekends free and looking at attractions/activities. I would be excited just to sit and stare at a cactus...

4. Shopping - where are the large shopping malls?

5. City setting - what is classified as the "heart of the city"? Main drag?

Old 10-28-2009, 02:39 PM

Sorry my bad I forgot to answer this post.

1. Weather/temperature - Snow & desert? From viewing pictures online, I see the landscape is somewhat of desert/arid high prairie but the area get snow too! As a Canadian, snow and sand is only something we see on the highways from December through March.

Pueblo gets some snow but not as much as the major cites up north. In fact Pueblo is in a Banana belt meaning most of the snow goes around us. Temperature wise our winters are more mild and in the summers the highs are usually 95 to 105 with cool nights.

2. Eats - What are you top 5 places to eat in Pueblo?

This is a tough one. The chains are good but local ones I like are: Passkey, DC's on B street, Guiciamo, La Renaissance, Cactus Flower 2, Mag Pies, 5121, La Tronicas. Just a few of the ones I like.

3. Attractions - I will have my weekends free and looking at attractions/activities. I would be excited just to sit and stare at a cactus...

Pueblo reservoir is good also Pueblo Mountain Park is good and Pueblo has a few lakes in the city, Minnequa Lake is the newest park.

4. Shopping - where are the large shopping malls?

One mall is the Pueblo Mall by Highway 50 and I-25.

5. City setting - what is classified as the "heart of the city"? Main drag?

Downtown Pueblo and Main Street is the heart of Pueblo but there is not one street that Pueblo is built on like you find in cities like Fort Collins, College ave, or Colorado Springs, Academy Ave.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:23 PM

I know these are not the biggest projects but its nice to see small and mid size projects start back up again. Hopefully this means the economy is recovering and before long we will have some larger projects breaking ground.

This is a new senior living building being built on the north side of Pueblo. You can see the crane from miles away.

These are two smaller projects on Pueblo Blvd, our loop.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:14 AM

Talking House approves national cemetery bill again

Good news, I hope the senate passes it this time and president Obama signs it that way we can finally have a national cemetery here. This was in today's Pueblo Chieftain:

Lawmakers hope to locate national cemetery between Pueblo and Colorado Springs.

For the second time, U.S. House lawmakers have approved establishing a third national cemetery in Colorado, to be located in Southern Colorado.

The link: http://www.chieftain.com/articles/20...4762119406.txt

Old 11-29-2009, 05:52 PM

Talking Top 10 Pueblo devlopments in 2009

2009 was a tough year to do this recession that is as bad if not worse then the any I have seen since the economic collapse of the 1980's. That being said there was some developments proposed or that took place in Pueblo and this is my top 10 list for 2009. Because my list ended up being so long I have decided to divide it up into two days. So this is my first of a two day report on the top 10 stories in Pueblo for 2009.

10. Pueblo Springs Ranch and the Colorado Energy Park

Adamantly I struggled with this one but decided to make it number 10 because the devlopments moved forward this year and if they happen, like it or not, they will have a profound impact on Pueblo.

BOISE, ID--(Marketwire - September 15, 2008) - Alternate Energy Holdings, Inc. (PINKSHEETS: AEHI) signed an agreement with a representative of the proposed Colorado Energy Park (CEP) southeast of Pueblo, CO to negotiate contracts on land and water rights for multiple large advanced nuclear reactors. The current CEP site is over 21,000 acres and is valued at $83 million, including substantial water use rights. CEP can host a mixed portfolio of renewable energy including solar PV and CSP, wind, biomass, small-hydro and nuclear. AEHI will seek a complement of multiple clean energy providers to fully utilize the large site and share the nuclear plant's transmission, water, road and rail infrastructure. When fully developed, CEP will help meet the state's and region's growing demand for electricity. At CEP, AEHI will help the US achieve energy independence, and meet the goal of increasing sources of green energy to reduce CO2 and toxic emissions from the global environment. The CEP as a merchant site should be able to wield power east of the Rockies as needed to meet demand.
************************************************** *********************************************
9 Parkview Medical Center

Parkview Regional Medical Center is a level 2 trauma center and continues to be one of downtown's largest employers and they are building a new tower. The hospital will continue to grow in the years to come with more towers, hopefully some over 10 stories, and be a nice anchor to the north side of downtown Pueblo.

************************************************** *********************************************
8 Power plants

One power plant is nearly built and one is about to start. This is good news for the Pueblo economy.

Black Hills Electric on Wednesday confirmed plans to move ahead on a power plant with Pueblo as its preferred site.

Natural gas will fuel the $450 million plant.

Construction on the 400-megawatt plant will begin next year if final regulatory and land-use agreements are reached with local and the state governments, Black Hills Vice President Gary Stone said.

The link: The Pueblo Chieftain Online :: Pueblo gets nod for Black Hills plant

This is Comanche 3 that is nearly built and ready to go on line:

************************************************** **************************************************
7 The Wild Wild West Fest

PBR continues to have a huge impact on Pueblo as they want to make "Pueblo" a household name around the world. Their latest venture is the Wild Wild West Fest with PBR event. This has the potential to be one of Colorado's largest annual events and because of this I think this is in the top 10 for 2009.

************************************************** ***********************************************
6. Transportation Technology Center

Pueblo is not seen as a research city yet that is far from the truth and the TTC is one of the main reasons. They are one of the largest facilities of its kind in the world and in 2009 become home to the Emergency Response Training Center. Because of this I made the TTC one of Pueblo's top stories in 2009.

This is from KKTV:

Some state lawmakers spent Monday touring several southern Colorado facilities. One of those facilities was the Transportation Technology Center about 20 miles north of the Pueblo County Airport. The facility is one of the largest of its kind in the world, covering 52-square miles. With a focus on research and development of railroad technology and safety, it uses 48 miles of railroad track.
It's also home to the Emergency Response Training Center (ERTC), a school that teaches first responders how to deal with hazardous materials when a disaster occurs. The school has an annual enrollment of more than 2,000 students, mostly from the U.S. although sometimes other countries will send people to take the class.

In addition to the ERTC, lawmakers were also shown an area where a high-speed train would most likely be tested if the state decides to move forward with plans for a high speed railway from Denver south through Colorado Springs and Pueblo.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado