Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 11:16 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,308,372 times

Advertisements

Okay, we are strongly considering moving to Colorado. Of course, we want to visit first, several times ideally.

We would absolutely love to spend Christmas in Colorado this year if we can swing$$$ it.

The kids want sooooooo badly to see snow (they've never seen it, having been raised in Texas) and while I know there is no "guarantee" of a White Christmas anywhere, we'd like to go somewhere where the chances are really good.

My partner's sister lives in Lakewood so ideally we'd like to be a couple hours from her as well for the visit. We're getting advice from her on this but in general we would like to know what areas to shoot for to visit, and prefer something NOT touristy so it won't be super expensive.

Oh and this is a dumb question / issue I'm sure, for those who live there, but we are from Texas, like I said, and not comfy with driving through ice and snow.... any comments on that??

We'd be there probably 5 days max. There are 5 of us (3 kids, 2 adults). In a perfect world we'd be able to rent some cabin or vacation home with a fireplace and all but honestly we'd be fine with a chain hotel. As long as the kids get to play in some snow. They're all wanting to go and have agreed to give up their normal Christmas presents and let the trip be their present....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 12:41 PM

336 posts, read 698,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Okay, we are strongly considering moving to Colorado. Of course, we want to visit first, several times ideally.

Oh and this is a dumb question / issue I'm sure, for those who live there, but we are from Texas, like I said, and not comfy with driving through ice and snow.... any comments on that??

Texas born and raised here also...and think you are going to get a lot
of ribbing about not wanting to drive through ice and snow...when you
are moving to place that has ice and snow... I haven't done it
either...but I am going to be adventureous and try...if nothing else...
we will be the slow ass drivers taking the corners with care...haha
Honk if you love Jesus... (just letting people know what I will be
thinking when you are honking at me...haha)

Old 10-02-2008, 01:01 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,233,343 times
I would check out the resort areas like Frisco/Silverthorne, Copper Mountain and Vail. Although it is not a 100% guarantee that it will snow while you are there, there it is almost certain that there will be snow on the ground. There are lots of condos in the resort communities that you can rent, but I'd hurry and make reservations: those destinations are popular during the holidays!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:22 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,499,764 times
While the places downtownnola mentioned will definitely have snow, they don't really meet the OP's "not touristy" criteria. And rates (whether for condos or chain hotels) will be high due to the holiday period.

On the other hand, there are lots of activities for everyone (e.g. sledding, sleigh rides, snowshoeing, downhill/XC skiing, snowmobiling, etc.), and you can get around (for the most part) on the free bus service.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:26 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,623,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri722 View Post
Texas born and raised here also...and think you are going to get a lot
of ribbing about not wanting to drive through ice and snow...when you
are moving to place that has ice and snow... I haven't done it
either...but I am going to be adventureous and try...if nothing else...
we will be the slow ass drivers taking the corners with care...haha
Honk if you love Jesus... (just letting people know what I will be
thinking when you are honking at me...haha)

Maybe heading up to Santa Fe would be worth while *if you are just wanting to see snow* and the drive is not as long then to Colorado.
Becareful

Yahoo! Video Detail for Snow in Colorado

Last edited by Mike78613; 10-02-2008 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado