Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:50 AM

103 posts, read 269,767 times

Advertisements

Planning on taking my wife for a week vacation in september for our annivesary just wondering what you think would be the best things to around colorado im pretty sure i want to spend atleast a couple days in aspen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 08:41 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
Need vacation ideas? Click on any of the suggestions below for great Colorado activities. Things to Do in Colorado - Colorado Travel Guide, Vacation Planning & Trip Ideas | Colorado.com

The Discovery Adventure
Learn about the past through experiences with historic landmarks and wildlife refuges. Explore buildings, mansions and the great outdoors, while blazing your own path through the state. Discover Colorado and its unforgettable history.

For information on other discovery adventures, visit the Discovery Adventure page.

The Family Adventure
Pack your bags and experience the sights and sounds of Colorado, the ghost towns and the cities in between. For family entertainment, Colorado offers an endless stock of attractions and excitement for children and young-at-heart adults.

For information on other family adventures, visit the Family Adventure page.

The Romantic Adventure
Hearts become one in Colorado. Take in a sunset with your favorite someone and experience Colorado together. Quaint mountain towns, wide-open meadows and breathtaking views nestled in the Rocky Mountains await you!

For information on other romantic adventures, visit the Romantic Adventure page.

The Outdoor Adventure
With 41 state parks, Colorado is open for adventure.

For information on other outdoor adventures, visit the Outdoor Adventure page.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:53 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpnkckr7 View Post
Planning on taking my wife for a week vacation in september for our annivesary just wondering what you think would be the best things to around colorado im pretty sure i want to spend atleast a couple days in aspen
You could easily spend a week between Glenwood Springs and Aspen.

In that area you can do just about anything your budget allows for. Jeep tours, ATVs, mountain biking, hiking, climbing, world class fly fishing, hot springs, rafting, lots of tourist shops, or just exploring on your own. There's a bike trail through Glenwood Canyon that's nice too.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:08 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,717 times
If you are coming in September, that's the time most (if not all ) Octoberfests are held in , Breckenridge ( my fave), Beaver Creek, Denver, etc. That would be a blast!!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:38 AM

484 posts, read 1,631,217 times
I'm thinking of doing the same thing in August, my wife is a math professor at our local college and because she's not the senior prof she got "volunteered" to teach a calculus and statistics class during the 2nd summer semester. We will have a rather narrow window before the Fall semester begins.

I've found a RV rental shop that will provide the trailer and I was crusing Google Earth and got interested in the area around Leadville. It seems quite scenic, lovely lake, ect. Can anyone provide any additional info on what will be going on in late August in and around Leadville.

Thanks

Old 06-29-2012, 12:50 AM

352 posts, read 797,362 times
Here's a good site for that info, jbtx. You can plug in August for the Events Calendar.

Leadville, Colorado, Twin Lakes, lodging, mountain recreation, real estate, vacation travel

Old 06-29-2012, 08:25 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,670,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
I'm thinking of doing the same thing in August, my wife is a math professor at our local college and because she's not the senior prof she got "volunteered" to teach a calculus and statistics class during the 2nd summer semester. We will have a rather narrow window before the Fall semester begins.

I've found a RV rental shop that will provide the trailer and I was crusing Google Earth and got interested in the area around Leadville. It seems quite scenic, lovely lake, ect. Can anyone provide any additional info on what will be going on in late August in and around Leadville.

Thanks
I suspect not a lot, tourism starts to drop way off end of August as kids go back to school.

Keep in mind up there, that in late August, you will see the first signs of fall. It will already be in the 30's at night and a few small pockets of Aspens might already be turning their leaves.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
jbtx, don't forget that you are coming from sea level and Leadville is 10,000 feet. That's a lot of adjusting to the altitude. Will you be making the adjustment gradually by driving to Colorado? When I first moved to Colorado from sea level (flew from D.C. to Steamboat Springs), the altitude sickness knocked me out for almost a week.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
Ouray.

Ouray Colorado - Come Visit

Old 06-30-2012, 04:29 AM

484 posts, read 1,631,217 times
Quote:
don't forget that you are coming from sea level and Leadville is 10,000 feet. That's a lot of adjusting to the altitude. Will you be making the adjustment gradually by driving to Colorado? When I first moved to Colorado from sea level (flew from D.C. to Steamboat Springs), the altitude sickness knocked me out for almost a week.
Thanks, we will be driving up from Corpus Christi, a distance of about 1100 miles, I'm figuring 2 days to Denver and another day to acquire the RV and tow it to the Leadville area. I lived in the Denver area many years ago so I'm a little familiar with the altitude. Although we are older now, both of us are in good health and non-smokers, we'll just take it easy.

Quote:
I suspect not a lot, tourism starts to drop way off end of August as kids go back to school.
Keep in mind up there, that in late August, you will see the first signs of fall. It will already be in the 30's at night and a few small pockets of Aspens might already be turning their leaves.
Actually, school is my problem. My DW is a math prof at the local college and because she is not amongst the senior profs she got tagged for a summer semester, she's doing a calculus and statistics gig and won't be done with finals until Aug 17th. So we have a fairly narrow window for vacation this year before the regular fall school year begins. As far as the weather is concerned, being up there to see the fall colors might be exciting and provide for some colorful photos.

I don't want to have to fight the Labor Day crowds on the highway and possibly not be able to get into a campground. I think it's either the week before Labor Day or the week after. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado