Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 03:23 AM

108 posts, read 414,865 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are planning a vacation in Colorado in the summer of 2008. We have never been to Colorado. We will fly into Denver
One of us wants to hike Mt Elbert and the other wants to sail( Lake Dillon maybe?).
I am hoping that I can get some ideas from locals or someone who is familiar with the area who can give us some tips on what towns are good stops to stay and play. No kids to tote along We are 50 somethings.

Thanks for your ideas.
pmjinnh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 07:51 AM

129 posts, read 1,232,407 times
Have you looked at sailing in Twin Lakes, which is quite close to Mt. Elbert? I don't know anything about sailing, but take a look at this site :

Cruises and Boating in Vail, Aspen, Telluride, Steamboat Springs and the Colorado Rockies

and scroll down to "Boating near Leadville".

What other common interests do you have in terms of things you'd like to see and do? How long is your trip? Answers to those questions may help people give you useful suggestions.

Finally: this forum tends to focus more on relocation issues than vacationing. You might want to also post your question on Trip Advisor (Colorado Forums - TripAdvisor)

Old 09-28-2007, 04:43 PM

423 posts, read 1,966,148 times
There are several things that I would suggest. One is going to Colorado Springs to cave of the winds, Garden of the gods, and the PRCA Rodeo Hall of fame (not sure if this closed down or not). Or I would try to take a trip to Estes Park. There is some good shopping there and Rocky Mountain National Park. For night life activities I would look into maybe the Budweiser Events Center in Loveland and see if they have anything in the time frame you will be here that you are interested in (budweisereventscenter.com) or the Lincoln Center in Fort Collins. These ideas are all pretty spread out, just so you know.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:45 PM

170 posts, read 764,131 times
I would highly recommend Estes Park (Rocky Mountain National Park)...it's breathtaking!

Old 09-29-2007, 08:05 AM

129 posts, read 1,232,407 times
You might also get some ideas from this site:

Colorado-for-Free

The nice thing is that everything it lists is free of charge. It has suggestions for things to do and places to see all over the state.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:30 AM

108 posts, read 414,865 times
Thanks very much for the suggestions.

We are thinking of renting a condo for a week in each area,,Colorado Springs the first week to get acclimated to the altitude and then a week up near Lake Dillon, Breckinridge ..closer to the RMNF. hubby has his heart set on climbing one or 2 of the 14 footers.
I found the 14k web site..any advise on condo rentals? Have been looking at ..VRBO® is Vacation Rentals by Owner® Vacation Homes Rentals by Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link) . Any feedback on this website and rental success or disaster stories?

From mt research, Lake Dillon looks like the best bet for renting a sailboat.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:18 AM

18,739 posts, read 33,596,963 times
It's a bit of drive, but the "million-dollar highway" is well worth the drive. You could do the whole loop, or "just" the area from Durango up to Ouray/Ridgway and maybe to Telluride. One of the most beautiful drives on earth.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:41 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,518,023 times
Best way to acclimatize: climb high, sleep low -- so spend the day at higher elevations, but the nights lower.

Given what you want to do, basing yourselves in the Summit County area may be the best. You can sail on Lake Dillon, and climb the nearby 14ers (Quandary, Grays, Torreys, Lincoln, Bross, Democrat, even Elbert or Massive over by Leadville). You may already know this, but you should start very early to summit the 14ers and be on your way down by 2pm at the latest -- getting caught in a thunderstorm above treeline = not the most fun thing.

I've had great experiences with the 3 or 4 times I've rented through VRBO. Obviously, since the units are rented by individual owners, your experience will depend completely on the owner.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:57 AM

385 posts, read 1,580,044 times
Definitely Red Rocks Amphitheatre.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:54 AM

45 posts, read 276,408 times
Smile Pro Rodeo Hall Of Fame

I was just there a couple of weeks ago & it is definitely open.

Enjoy!

Kelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado