Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,622 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am in the process of planning our summer vacation in the Durango area for the first week in August. My question is how much rain does that area get during the month of August? We are wanting to plan a jeep/river rafting tour but would really hate to get rained out. Are the odds for or against us by going ahead and planning? The tour place has no refunds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 10:58 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Brief afternoon thundershowers are the norm. Go ahead and plan the rafting trip, you won't get rained out.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:25 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
August is normally the wettest month of the year in Durango. Southwest Colorado is normally under the full influence of the Southwest Monsoon at that time. In a normal year, near daily afternoon thunderstorms are typical from mid-July to late August. They may be relatively short-lived, but can sometimes dump considerable rain. Unlike summer rains in places like the Midwest, the afternoon storms can drop the temperature, sometimes drastically--thirty degrees or more with some.

A simple rule of thumb in southwestern Colorado is to look at the sky at around 9 AM. If ANY clouds are visible, then the Southwest Monsoon is "in" and afternoon storms will be very likely.

As to whether it would ruin your jeeping/rafting, that all depends if you are prepared. If you are jeeping in the high country, you should be prepared for everything from warm sunny days to snow flurries. Nighttime frost is not at all uncommon at higher elevations by early to mid-August. With rafting, you can be sunburning in a hot sun in the morning and freezing in a cold rainstorm by 3 PM. It's all possible. You can always tell we native Coloradans because we generally carry clothing and protection for just about any kind of weather when we go to the mountains. Not to is just foolhardy and asking for trouble.

This webpage ( http://www.summitpost.org/area/range...html#chapter_3 ) has some great information on San Juan weather toward the bottom of the page. This page also contains good information: http://www.mountainstudies.org/datab...limateText.htm

Last edited by jazzlover; 06-19-2010 at 09:55 AM..

Old 06-19-2010, 09:50 AM

299 posts, read 903,621 times
The weather in the Durango area is unpredictable in August. Like jazz said, come prepared for any kind of weather. If you stay here for a week, odds are that the weather will be nice enough for a few days so that you can do everything you want to.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:14 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
August is normally the wettest month of the year in Durango. Southwest Colorado is normally under the full influence of the Southwest Monsoon at that time. In a normal year, near daily afternoon thunderstorms are typical from mid-July to late August. They may be relatively short-lived, but can sometimes dump considerable rain. Unlike summer rains in places like the Midwest, the afternoon storms can drop the temperature, sometimes drastically--thirty degrees or more with some.
This is 100% A-1 spot on correct.

I remember one afternoon driving across the desert monitoring the outside temperature with the gauge on my truck. It was about 90 degrees. As I looked ahead I saw that I was heading towards some rain. I kept a close eye on the gauge, and as I drove into the rainstorm I watched as the temperature dropped about one degree per second. It kept dropping all the way to about 65 degrees. It kept steady at this temp as I was in the thick of the storm. As I passed through it and came out the other side, it went back up to 90!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado