Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 07:47 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,160,588 times

Advertisements

I wasn't going to read all 19 pages, but the quality of a CC student is dependent on its location and class/program/major. I teach Biology, Anatomy, Micro, etc. I've taught in different states and in different socioeconomic areas. No matter where I go, the General Bio classes are full of brain dead students. And I'm talking about Gen Bio for majors. After some horrible experiences, I've refused to teach Gen Bio for non majors or education majors.

Now, Anatomy and Micro? In higher socioeconomic areas, let me tell you, those students are driven, even if they're not doing well, which is mostly because they're non traditional students with too much on their plate. There are certainly not-so-bright students, and a lot of them want you to hold their hand (a whole other thread on that problem), but by no means would I say that they're all sub-par. But keep in mind, these students know how competitive the nursing programs are and anything less than a 3.5, forget it.

In lower socioeconomic areas, it's not unusual to lose 60% or 70% of the class, even with dumbed down material and BS extra credit. Their issue has more to do with not being prepared. When you have students who ask what adjacent means, or other basic terms that you would expect a high school graduate to know, you know you're in trouble.

Admittedly, my best semesters were during the summer when the 4 year college kids would take CC classes since they were cheaper. You could teach things that weren't in the book and come up with creative assignments.

I'd probably shoot myself if I had to teach CC English, though. The grammar for many of these students is atrocious.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,749,915 times
I went to a CC and did work full time, and we did go at night after work.
The teachers were great as the students. the 4 c's on Cape Cod is always in the top ranks.
The night school is self support and not easy at all, we worked hard to get the AA degree after a 40 hour work week.

Last edited by maggiekate; 12-01-2011 at 08:18 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,749,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
You miss the point. If I go to a CC for two years and then transfer to UC Berkeley, I get the same degree just as if I had attended Berkeley for all four years.
also you save money, and have the motivation to go to Berkeley.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,287,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
also you save money, and have the motivation to go to Berkeley.
Or also you spend more money.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:49 AM

18,739 posts, read 33,574,599 times
If it wasn't already said in some 19 pages... A lot of cc students are from the working class or from poor countries. They are often the first in their families to go to any kind of college. They are often English as a second language, single parents, etc.
I do think it's relatively recent that middle-class students might go to cc for two years and then onto a four-year school to save money.
I do wonder about any professor who finds his/her students "not worth a dam" and can't spell "damn."

Old 12-02-2011, 07:51 AM

977 posts, read 1,821,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
You miss the point. If I go to a CC for two years and then transfer to UC Berkeley, I get the same degree just as if I had attended Berkeley for all four years.
Yes, but it's much tougher to make friends at a university after 2 yrs at CC since most people already have a group of friends. Second, it's tougher to break into leadership roles in extracurriculars. Lifelong friends/connections and extracurriculars are underrated aspects of college life.

And it sucks to be amongst a a group of students who are on average much dumber and less motivated than students at a top public university.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:34 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,523,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I'd probably shoot myself if I had to teach CC English, though. The grammar for many of these students is atrocious.
Truth be told, after having helped friends and acquaintences with editing both undergraduate and masters level papers, its not much better at the university level.

After a while, I stopped telling people I was an English major because they didn't like how harsh I was when editing papers...

Old 12-02-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I do think it's relatively recent that middle-class students might go to cc for two years and then onto a four-year school to save money.
Why would they go a more expensive route to save money?

Old 12-02-2011, 01:19 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,298,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why would they go a more expensive route to save money?
How is it more expensive for someone who doesn't qualify for any scholarships/grants?

Old 12-02-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
How is it more expensive for someone who doesn't qualify for any scholarships/grants?
It's been shown in this thread that the middle-class (we used $80k as the income) qualify for need-based grants that make it cheaper to go to a 4-year school.

It's also been mentioned that many 4-year colleges do not accept transfers from community colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities